Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
lzimm13
Mouseketeer

Travel companies

As anyone registered for runDisney events using travel companies? Specifically HsuBu travel? They don't book rooms for you but I'm fine with that b/c Id like to use my parents timeshare. I was just wondering what their deal is...how much they charge and what they include ect. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

I used Acclaim because they still had bibs for the 10k when I wanted to sign up. They didn't charge anything over the "list price" for the bib and I didn't need the hotel reservation, because the military rate was cheaper for me. But if they're not booking your hotel, why do you want to use a travel agent?
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Isn't the choice of travel companies a personal preference? Obviously there is a cost component but then it's how well do they service me and how well can I communicate with the rep who will manage my account. The other point is how much do I trust the firm... If you found these guys on runD then the last point is moot. Otherwise, dig. In the mean time, talk with them to see if they really offer what you want and need.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
lzimm13
Mouseketeer

The only reason I'm using an agent is because everything else is sold out. I didn't want to register for the Disneyland half before I finished the princess half
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzimm13 View Post
The only reason I'm using an agent is because everything else is sold out. I didn't want to register for the Disneyland half before I finished the princess half
Are the travel agencies significantly cheaper than doing it through one of the charities?
I'm in the same boat--Now that I've done Princess, I'm really regretting not registering for the Disneyland 1/2. I got a pink C2C for doing Tinkerbell and Princess, but now I'd like a 2nd, regular C2C for doing Wine and Dine and Disneyland...
Yes, I know I could sign up for that new Avengers one...but I'm not really jazzed about the theme of that one...
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
Are the travel agencies significantly cheaper than doing it through one of the charities?
I'm in the same boat--Now that I've done Princess, I'm really regretting not registering for the Disneyland 1/2. I got a pink C2C for doing Tinkerbell and Princess, but now I'd like a 2nd, regular C2C for doing Wine and Dine and Disneyland...
Yes, I know I could sign up for that new Avengers one...but I'm not really jazzed about the theme of that one...
Generally, yes the travel group can be cheaper if one does not fund raise well. If you have a great network and can raise the required charity funding, then the charity may come off cheaper.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Generally, yes the travel group can be cheaper if one does not fund raise well. If you have a great network and can raise the required charity funding, then the charity may come off cheaper.
Hmmm yeah, I don't fundraise well. I feel bad asking friends/family for contributions so when I was considering a charity, I was planning to just pay the whole donation myself.
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmmm yeah, I don't fundraise well. I feel bad asking friends/family for contributions so when I was considering a charity, I was planning to just pay the whole donation myself.
Thanks.
That's me. There is a really good reason I am not in sales and offer coaching services for next to nothing
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
lzimm13
Mouseketeer

yeah, some of the charity groups want like $1200-$2000 for a registration, where as the travel agents basically charge the same face value.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzimm13 View Post
Definitely do it in that case! It worked great for me.
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
pxefig
Mouseketeer

I used Jim Stone at Acclaim Travel to book the 5k, 10k and half for Tinker Bell for myself and two others. There was no room or package requirement. I talked to all of the travel agencies on the runD site and all of them had a one day one park ticket included in the cost of the bib, so I think it was something on runD's end required for the travel agents since they all did it. But Jim made it so it was only one theme park ticket per person instead of per bib, plus I could upgrade them to another park ticket type at a discount off gate prices, so it was a non-issue for me to have to get the tickets.
I'm not sure what sort of requirements are out there for the DL half, but it's probably worth your while to just email all of the ones on the site and see what they are offering; some sell out of bib availability faster than others or have different requirement and different hotel or ticket prices.
pxefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have any experience with booking through a travel company and submitting proof of time for corral placement? Any recommendations on specific travel companies that properly submitted your proof (or any that didnt?) My 10k proof of time gives me an estimated 1:54 1/2 marathon time, so it's important to me to use that.

At Princess, I was talking to another runner who went through a charity, and the charity didn't submit any proof of time, so she was placed in the last corral, even though she felt she should have been placed much higher.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
pxefig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with booking through a travel company and submitting proof of time for corral placement? Any recommendations on specific travel companies that properly submitted your proof (or any that didnt?) My 10k proof of time gives me an estimated 1:54 1/2 marathon time, so it's important to me to use that.

At Princess, I was talking to another runner who went through a charity, and the charity didn't submit any proof of time, so she was placed in the last corral, even though she felt she should have been placed much higher.
Jim Stone at Acclaim Travel submitted my proof of time from my local 10K for me when I signed up through him. My 1:12 10K time got me a B placement at the Tinker Bell 10k and a C corral placement at the Tinker Bell half (fewer corrals at Tink than Princess- probably the ONLY time I will ever get a B or C corral- lol)
pxefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxefig View Post
Jim Stone at Acclaim Travel submitted my proof of time from my local 10K for me when I signed up through him. My 1:12 10K time got me a B placement at the Tinker Bell 10k and a C corral placement at the Tinker Bell half (fewer corrals at Tink than Princess- probably the ONLY time I will ever get a B or C corral- lol)
Thanks! Sounds like you had a great experience with him! I will definitely keep Acclaim travel in mind if I decide to book through a travel agency!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: