Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Taking only one child. Which mod?

I am in the beginning planning stages of a trip next August & this time we will only be taking our youngest DD 11. When we went in 2009 we stayed at POFQ. My DH & the kids loved it, while I really disliked it for various reasons. This time it is a toss up between POR & CBR. I can't decide, I like them both. So, which one do you think would be best for our DD. Is the pool too kiddie for an 11 year old at CBR? I remember walking over to POR on our last stay to use their pool & it was so crowded that we didn't stay. I'm just trying to decide which resort may be better for an only child as far as things to do & see.

Oh, the size of the resort doesn't matter. We love walking & taking in the scenery so it is a non issue.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyann View Post
I am in the beginning planning stages of a trip next August & this time we will only be taking our youngest DD 11. When we went in 2009 we stayed at POFQ. My DH & the kids loved it, while I really disliked it for various reasons. This time it is a toss up between POR & CBR. I can't decide, I like them both. So, which one do you think would be best for our DD. Is the pool too kiddie for an 11 year old at CBR? I remember walking over to POR on our last stay to use their pool & it was so crowded that we didn't stay. I'm just trying to decide which resort may be better for an only child as far as things to do & see.

Oh, the size of the resort doesn't matter. We love walking & taking in the scenery so it is a non issue.
We LOVE CBR. Its our 13 yr old sons Favourite resort! He is an only child as well.

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Kae
DIS Veteran

If she is likes princesses I would go for a Royal room at POR.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
2kidsForMe
Dreams of being a Guest without a Bag

I would choose CBR for something different. My kids and I stayed there 2 years ago and we loved it. It was so peaceful. The pool never felt crowded, and we enjoyed the food court. Since it is just you and your DD the full sized beds shouldn't be an issue. p.s I am also going solo with my DD, who is about the same age as yours. We leave tomorrow for ASMo. Have fun.

Nov "13 Pop & ASSP/Aug '13 POR/July '13 ASMo/April '13 Aulani/Nov '12 CSR/Jun '12 poly/Feb '12 DLR/Aug '11 CBR & Pop/Jan '11 ASMu/Aug '10 ASMu/Jan '10 FW/Aug '09 FW/Jan '09 ASMu/Aug '08 CSR/Feb '08 offsite/Aug '08 POR/April '08 FW/Oct '07 FW/May '05 WL/Dec '04 & 11/03 offsite/Nov '01 DTD/Aug '99 EuroDisney
2kidsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at CBR, but DD(10) LOVED the POR Royal Rooms. The location was great, and it was a lot of fun waking up in the middle of the night, pressing the button for fireworks over our bed, and going back to sleep.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

I maybe should have emphasized, it will be three of us (Me, DH & DD). She is totally not the princess type, more of a tomboy type. I'm leaning towards CBR even with the double beds, we have a queen at home, so not too much of a difference.

I'm also thinking that maybe I should save POR for a trip I'm planning (pretty far out, five years) for me & DH's 25 anniversary. I would like to do a cruise & a few days at Disney.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We've never stayed at POR, but we loved CBR. Our boys were 7 & 9 when we stayed there and they loved the pool (and it has been redone since our stay). POR looks like a beautiful resort, but my choice would be CBR. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I maybe should have emphasized, it will be three of us (Me, DH & DD). She is totally not the princess type, more of a tomboy type. I'm leaning towards CBR even with the double beds, we have a queen at home, so not too much of a difference.

I'm also thinking that maybe I should save POR for a trip I'm planning (pretty far out, five years) for me & DH's 25 anniversary. I would like to do a cruise & a few days at Disney.
My kids loved CBR. My daughter is not girly at all, so the lack of princess/castle/royal theming didn't matter. I, however, hated the beds. And the rooms are reminiscent of a motel. An old-style Florida motel that needs to be updated. But since we didn't pay rack rate, it didn't hurt too much. In fact, I would never pay rack rate for a CBR room. If you need to go during peak season without a discount, do POR. At least until they renovate/update the rooms.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
My kids loved CBR. My daughter is not girly at all, so the lack of princess/castle/royal theming didn't matter. I, however, hated the beds. And the rooms are reminiscent of a motel. An old-style Florida motel that needs to be updated. But since we didn't pay rack rate, it didn't hurt too much. In fact, I would never pay rack rate for a CBR room. If you need to go during peak season without a discount, do POR. At least until they renovate/update the rooms.
See, this is one of the reasons that I disliked POFQ so much. We went before it was updated & I was really disappointed with the room. Even the entrance doors (we had two rooms) were really dirty & needed to be painted. Granted, we weren't in the rooms much, I still want to feel I'm getting my money's worth.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

wow...just got back from POFQ and everything about the rooms is great. Other than POFQ, the only other moderate I stayed at recently was CSR, and while it feels a little bit more deluxe, we much prefer the size of POFQ.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

We just stayed at POR for the first time the first week of May. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section with our 7 year old only child-son. It was not girly at all. The buildings were in wonderful condition-we commented on how it looked like the shutters, doors etc were freshly painted. The paths in the shade were great-better than being in the blaring sun! The pool was perfect! Loved all the spraying features and the slide was long and awesome! Our room was well themed too. A BIG plus is Queen sized beds plus they refurbished all the rooms within the past year.

I haven't stayed at CBR since I was a kid so I can't comment on that resort.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
wow...just got back from POFQ and everything about the rooms is great. Other than POFQ, the only other moderate I stayed at recently was CSR, and while it feels a little bit more deluxe, we much prefer the size of POFQ.
We stayed in 2009 before the update. The pics of the new rooms look much nicer now. I really enjoyed walking around POR more so than POFQ, so that is why it's between POR & CBR now.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't call the pool at CBR "babyish". I LOVED it, even went down the water slides, and I'm in my late 20s. We stayed in Jamaica right across the lake and had only a 5 minute walk to the main pool. The rooms have recently been updated; not liking the white duvet but it's not bad. The Nemo border around the room was really neat. My only complaint is that mousekeeping kept turning on our ceiling fan and the room would be freezing when we'd come back from the pool.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:

First; it is so refreshing to see someone who does not think a 10 minute walk is "forever" or "so far away" Our family is the same way, we like to stroll through the resort and enjoy it. It seems so much more relaxing then to just rushing to and from our room.
We like POR over CBR, mainly because CBR does not have queen beds yet and also we live in a beach area so the theme is not a draw for us. As you know POR has a boat to DTD and you can go over to POFQ to use their amenities and Yeehaw Bob puts on a great show. We also think POR has the best CS, with the omelette station and pasta bar.

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH

Last edited by buzznina; 06-28-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

CBR is a lovely resort. I've heard that the walk isn't too bad from most rooms to the main food court and pool. There seems to be a lot of choice at the food court looking at the menu on Allears.

Can't wait to stay there in Feb! For £100 more we also have a preferred room.

Funnily enough, it was between POR and CBR for us too. CBR won due to price, but one day of our trip we're heading to POR to look around and try their infamous make-your-own-pasta and salad!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip! ~ The One Where I Finally Ride Splash????

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: