Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I would do a wdw resort the first night. We are staying at pop our first night. We have done a few split stays, and when we do, we get up early the next morning, and grab a cab to take both us, and our luggage to new resort to do early check in, leave luggage with bell service and can still make rope drop.
You know, I was thinking of doing this. What is the cost? I would probably do it myself while DH got breakfast with the kids at a value food court, since a family of 4 and luggage would be hard to transport in one taxi. Then we would meet at the bus terminal at MK.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
saskdw
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the airport Hyatt the first night last time, but we elected to do this because our flight came in at 11:30pm. After a long day of travelling it was nice to just checkin right there and relax. It is a great hotel and very convent. You can still use ME the next morning. However if we were getting in at 5:30pm we would have hopped on the ME and went straight to WDW.

I also recommend (like pp above) just hopping in a cab with your luggage and do the resort swap yourself. It's nice to know all your stuff is already there and the process is completed before you head to the parks.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Terk-1
Cinderella's Castle is My 2nd Home!! Only 1,302.5 miles from the Magic Kingdom!

Talking Value

For my upcoming trip, I did a standard room only at a value on my arrival & departure days, so that I can get everything out of my package. I don't rent a car, so I rely on Disney's Magical Express as transportation to/from the airport. This way I am already onsite and can just grab a cab to my package resort early the next morning, check-in, activate the key and head straight to the parks. The values are pretty inexpensive, and I just enjoy being onsite.
80,82,85,88,90,93,94, 96 - ASMu, 97-98 - DxL, 99 - POFQ & BC, 00 - WL & POFQ, 01 - ASMo, 02 - Poly, 03 - CBR & WL, 04 -Pop, 05 - GC @ DL, 06 - POFQ, 07 - San Diego, 08 - San Diego (twice), 09 - Sports, 11 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 12 - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
October 2013 - First Disney Cruise!!!! Western Caribbean on the Wonder
November-December 2013 - Art of Animation & Pop Century

November-December 2014 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy!!

Pictures & Video from November 2011 Trip! More to upload.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wdwfan6
Terk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

I think you've already come to your decision, but I would agree with PPs about going directly to Disney that night.

Speaking from experience, we drive to WDW and often drive straight through, leaving at 5 AM and arriving in Orlando around 10 PM the day before we check-in. It is so hard to pass right by WDW only to check in a hotel off-site for the night when all I want to do is start my vacation in the cocoon of Disney!!

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
SnoWhiteRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
Whether you stay at the MCO Hyatt or go to Disney the first night, either way you still have the hassle of transferring luggage and checking in twice. So I would go directly to Disney and stay on-site. At least Disney will do the luggage transfer for you.
Yep, Disney will move your luggage if you stay on property that first night! Easy.

Next Trip 8/14 So Much to Celebrate! ASMo * 12/10 Our Very Merry SuRpRiSe ChRiStMaS TRiP * 1/08 Grand Gathering POR - Papa's 70th & Blaise's 6th - Pirate & Princess Party! * 11/05 POR - Jersey Week - Food & Wine Festival * 12/04 POP & ASMo - MVMCP * 10/02 POFQ & ASMo - DD 4th Birthday & MNSSHP * 5/01 AKL & POR - Flower & Garden Festival * 5/00 ASMo - Flower & Garden Festival * Childhood trips... 7/83 Disneyland * 2/79 POL * 12/75 First Trip - age 6 (off site) Thanks Gramma for the best Christmas gift ever! I'll always remember the magic...*

SnoWhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaserjm View Post
I think you've already come to your decision, but I would agree with PPs about going directly to Disney that night.

Speaking from experience, we drive to WDW and often drive straight through, leaving at 5 AM and arriving in Orlando around 10 PM the day before we check-in. It is so hard to pass right by WDW only to check in a hotel off-site for the night when all I want to do is start my vacation in the cocoon of Disney!!
Nice to see how long it takes to drive from St Louis. I'm from KC and have wondered. You make any stops?
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

If your going to WDW-go to WDW, get there as soon as possible IMO.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I would Definately stay onsite, you should arrive at a resort and be all checked in by 7:30-8 PM can grab dinner then get a good nights sleep to head out bright and early. Check in at SSR, have bell services move your luggage and you can spend the day at the parks and return later when your Villa is ready.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
kwdw
DIS Veteran

I'm usually pretty "stay at Disney" not the airport - but.... in this case......

Two scenarios:

1) Take ME to Disney, stay at value or mod. Wait in line to check in, wait forever for your luggage to show up four hours later. Unpack enough to sleep, pack up the next morning, take bus to PARK with luggage, transfer to bus to new resort with all your luggage, check in again, drop off stuff, off to park. This plan gets alot better if you take a taxi between the two resorts - but that will cost you $20-$30. Values only have double beds - typically too short for a tall guy. Mods have queens, but cost more.

NOW - you can also ask Disney to TRANSFER your luggage. If you are comfortable with that - this gets easier. You could just haul stuff to bell services, catch a bus to a park - and not worry about checking in until after 4pm - when you know your room will be ready and luggage should be at the new resort.

2) Pick up luggage at airport, haul to room at Hyatt. Queen beds. Check in lines typically short. Do nothing. Unpack enough to sleep. Pack up stuff, Haul stuff to ME, ride bus, check in at hotel at Disney. Off to park.

So - depending upon how you "pick" to handle the transfer between the two resorts, I can see a perspective that staying at the airport is easier.

Me - I'm all about getting to Disney property. I'd walk off plane with my backpack, head to ME, check-in, leave the heavey stuff in the backpack in room and I'd head to Downtown Disney or do a resort tour that first night if I didn't have tickets for that day. Get back not too late, roll into bed - only having to pull out the sleep attire and toiletries pack on top in the checked bag that magically arrived while I was out. Next morning, shower, put on the outfit again planned so its on top in the bag, throw toiletries/dirty clothes/nightshirt back in suitcase, (no digging through suitcases for me!) and I'd pay for the taxi between resorts. (I like to know WHERE my bag is, in case I need something - so I don't like luggage transfer. And it takes too long to do the resort-to-resort thing on the bus). Oh - and grocery delivery schedule for arrival at the resort I'm staying longer, not the first place for the one night. But that's me. Now - with a late arrival - says 7pm or later - I would do the same BUT - I wouldn't check my bag for ME. I'd get it at Baggage Claim and haul it to ME myself so I don't have to wait for it. I don't want to risk my bag showing up TOO late and me waiting for it to go to bed.

However, that wait for luggage for ME until late drives some of my family members crazy, and hauling luggage around hotels is a huge hassle for some of them - so the concept of switching gets more burdensome for them. And one of them has to basically unpack every night - and totally repack the morning. And we are all tall people and none of us like sharing a double bed. And one family member isn't that into Disney - so prefers to be off-property more. All those things play into these decisions.....
Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
herb102211
DIS Veteran

I would head straight to Disney. You could still hang out at the pool or head to DTD that night, as you won't be getting there that late. We love the Hyatt but we'll only stay there if we have a late night flight or have an early morning departure. Otherwise, I'd say head right to WDW!!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club, 10/14- Beach Club
Me (28) DH (28)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
imchatti
Happy WWL Owner!

it happens to us frequently .... we have always done a value for the night and this past trip we were upgrade to a family suite at ASM.
imchatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #27
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdw View Post
I'm usually pretty "stay at Disney" not the airport - but.... in this case......

Two scenarios:

1) Take ME to Disney, stay at value or mod. Wait in line to check in, wait forever for your luggage to show up four hours later. Unpack enough to sleep, pack up the next morning, take bus to PARK with luggage, transfer to bus to new resort with all your luggage, check in again, drop off stuff, off to park. This plan gets alot better if you take a taxi between the two resorts - but that will cost you $20-$30. Values only have double beds - typically too short for a tall guy. Mods have queens, but cost more.

NOW - you can also ask Disney to TRANSFER your luggage. If you are comfortable with that - this gets easier. You could just haul stuff to bell services, catch a bus to a park - and not worry about checking in until after 4pm - when you know your room will be ready and luggage should be at the new resort.

2) Pick up luggage at airport, haul to room at Hyatt. Queen beds. Check in lines typically short. Do nothing. Unpack enough to sleep. Pack up stuff, Haul stuff to ME, ride bus, check in at hotel at Disney. Off to park.

So - depending upon how you "pick" to handle the transfer between the two resorts, I can see a perspective that staying at the airport is easier.

Me - I'm all about getting to Disney property. I'd walk off plane with my backpack, head to ME, check-in, leave the heavey stuff in the backpack in room and I'd head to Downtown Disney or do a resort tour that first night if I didn't have tickets for that day. Get back not too late, roll into bed - only having to pull out the sleep attire and toiletries pack on top in the checked bag that magically arrived while I was out. Next morning, shower, put on the outfit again planned so its on top in the bag, throw toiletries/dirty clothes/nightshirt back in suitcase, (no digging through suitcases for me!) and I'd pay for the taxi between resorts. (I like to know WHERE my bag is, in case I need something - so I don't like luggage transfer. And it takes too long to do the resort-to-resort thing on the bus). Oh - and grocery delivery schedule for arrival at the resort I'm staying longer, not the first place for the one night. But that's me. Now - with a late arrival - says 7pm or later - I would do the same BUT - I wouldn't check my bag for ME. I'd get it at Baggage Claim and haul it to ME myself so I don't have to wait for it. I don't want to risk my bag showing up TOO late and me waiting for it to go to bed.

However, that wait for luggage for ME until late drives some of my family members crazy, and hauling luggage around hotels is a huge hassle for some of them - so the concept of switching gets more burdensome for them. And one of them has to basically unpack every night - and totally repack the morning. And we are all tall people and none of us like sharing a double bed. And one family member isn't that into Disney - so prefers to be off-property more. All those things play into these decisions.....
You describe all the important factors, good post!

For us the decision is made by arrival time. We come all the way from western Canada so the travel time takes up most of the day. We have two choices. Get up at 4am catch the early flight which after one layover gets us to Orlando around 5:30pm. Or catch the a flight that leaves here about 3:30pm and gets us to Orlando about 11:20pm.

The first three times we took the early flight. We had really good luck with ME and were usually in our room at WDW by 7pm. Lots of time to do something at WDW, however we were always to exhausted from being up at 4am and travelling all day. So usually eat at the resort and relax. I find it takes a couple of days to feel normal again after that 4am travel day.

The last time we took the late flight to avoid the 4am start. We figured we weren't missing anything because we never did anything with that first evening anyway. It was much nicer not starting our vacation at 4am! We landed at 11:20pm and had gathered our luggage and were in our room at the Hyatt before Midnight. Had we taken ME to WDW it would have been 1-1:30am before we got to our room. We got a good sleep, had breakfast the next morning, and then took ME to WDW. Worked much better for us.

Having said that I would still elect to go straight to WDW if we arrived earlier.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
kandb
DIS Veteran

We are staying at the BC for 7 nights in Sept. We are staying at the Hyatt/MCO for the first night (arriving at 8:00pm) and the last night of our trip (have a 10am flight). I got the government rate for the Hyatt of $97/night. So we will have full days at Disney and for the first and last night, we won't have to pay the $400/night like we are paying at the BC. I think the kids will love seeing the planes taking off and landing.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

We have arrived the evening before at about the same time. We got a one day car rental fairly cheap ($50 ish). Loaded our luggage into the car, and I packed where we only had to bring one suitcase in for that evening and valuables (left all the other luggage locked in rental). Went MK for evening fun, what we do every trip. Then left the value the next morning to the parks and DH returned car during our afternoon break at a wdw location (there were a few options for rental returns within wdw) right after we checked in at our resort. We found this got us to the magic quicker and made luggage hassle easier for us. Just another idea??

Last edited by disney-akj; 07-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
disney-akj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #30
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Talking

Hey OP!
I think that getting in at 530 Id go straight to your resort, cause it sounds like you wont like to be missing out on disney time Id personally stay where your vacation starts rather than moving around and the Xtra time and moving.......
.I actually like staying at Hyatt whenever we get a flight into orlando too late or (for us...thats evening...Id just rather be refreshed and since we dont unpack, just crash at Hyatt, we're all rearing to go and rested when we wake up and off to ME and to resort early am). We basically drop our stuff after check in and off we go....
Its so nice to start a vacation with rested kids, relaxed atmosphere instead of craziness and potentially cranky kids....so
just do what you think would be best for the kiddos.
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time with your family....
Wish I had another trip planned......Just thinking about my happy place, makes me SMILE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: