Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

One day or two, express pass, staying on prperty....argh too many questions!

Hi everyone, I am going to Orlando mid September with my husband for our wedding anniversary. We are staying at WDW at the Polynesian and have planed 5 days there. I have two more days that I was going to use to visit US and IOA. My husband and I have never been and we really want to see HP world. We are not big thrill seekers as we both get motion sickness so planning on skipping most roller coasters (but not planning on skipping forbidden journey lol).
First we were thinking of staying at Portofinos for 2 days and doing one park on each day that way taking advantage of express pass and early admission to HP.
Since we are not planning on renting a car we would have to take taxi or mears to US then to airport.
Now I am thinking it might be a hassle to move to another resort.

So my question is can I do US and IOA in one day in September without express pass if planning on skipping most rides in IOA? Or is 2 days necessary to enjoy the parks?
And
Should I just stay on Disney property whole time and taxi/mears over for one day? That way not switching hotels, no moving luggage, and taking a day to rest by pool?
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

September is a lovely time to visit crowd wise. It is very hot though. That's why staying onsite in September is lovely. You can visit in the morning, go back to the hotel for a nice swim in the afternoon and have some lunch and then go back to the parks a bit later.

You don't really need the express pass but it is always nice.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
September is a lovely time to visit crowd wise. It is very hot though. That's why staying onsite in September is lovely. You can visit in the morning, go back to the hotel for a nice swim in the afternoon and have some lunch and then go back to the parks a bit later.

You don't really need the express pass but it is always nice.
I did not think of that. I forgot you can go to hotels in afternoon, lol!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

if you do a one day only trip, avoid the weekends.

hhn begins on the 20th and the studios will close early.

when someone states "mid sept", the dates of 15-20 pop into my mind.
don't know your dates but i answer based on what i consider mid month.

you have 7 days to use on this vacation.
5 of them are at the poly.

not sure if you are doing ioa in the middle of your poly stay or after.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I think staying at Portofino Bay for an anniversary is a lovely, romantic idea, so I highly recommend that. So you move hotels and use a cab, it'll be OK! It's packing plus the time for the cab ride. (OK and then unpacking) In my own personal opinion, it's well worth it.

Even if FJ is the only thrill-type ride you do, being able to get on the other rides quicker than you would in standby is still worth it. In my own personal opinions. Allows for more re-rides!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
AprilRenee
DIS Veteran

This is what DH and I did last jan! It was great!
http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com...al/tickets.htm

Our bus picked us up at our Disney hotel and dropped us off at universal. Then when we knew what time we wanted to head back to the hotel we gave them a call and set up our pick up time. It was perfect.

Also, as a bonus, the tickets got us in for early admission with the people staying at a universal resort. It was awesome!! I had heard a rumor on the DIS that that was the case but was nervous to try it. So as we were leaving on our first universal day I asked the ticket takers to look at my ticket and tell me if I was able to get in early the next day. Several of them looked at it and said yes, it had the right code for early admission. Sure enough we had no trouble at all the next morning!

Pre Trip Report
Photobooks/TR linked below
May 2010 POP(Photobook); January 2011 ASMu (TR); January 2012 POP(Photobook)
AprilRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
AprilRenee
DIS Veteran

Oh! And if you aren't big roller coaster fans I would say a 2 park/1 day pass would be enough for you. I was pregnant when we went so I couldn't ride any roller coasters (and DH gets sick) so 1 day was all that we needed. We had gotten 2 day passes already so just spent the second morning there to get a little more Harry potter time in. But we didn't need it. One day would have been plenty.

Pre Trip Report
Photobooks/TR linked below
May 2010 POP(Photobook); January 2011 ASMu (TR); January 2012 POP(Photobook)
AprilRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
if you do a one day only trip, avoid the weekends.

hhn begins on the 20th and the studios will close early.

when someone states "mid sept", the dates of 15-20 pop into my mind.
don't know your dates but i answer based on what i consider mid month.

you have 7 days to use on this vacation.
5 of them are at the poly.

not sure if you are doing ioa in the middle of your poly stay or after.
I am arriving the 12th of September and leaving the 20th. I
am staying first five days at POly (or that is what I have booked for now!)
I was going to fit in US on the end of Vacation as it is a new experience for me. I was going to cab over to POrtofinos early morning on Wed the 18th and visit US on the same day, then on the Thurs the 19th, visit IOA so can get early admission to HP. I am flying out on the 20th so I don,t have to worry about HHN

However, if i decide on one day/2parks I would most probably go on Tuesday the 17th.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilRenee View Post
Oh! And if you aren't big roller coaster fans I would say a 2 park/1 day pass would be enough for you. I was pregnant when we went so I couldn't ride any roller coasters (and DH gets sick) so 1 day was all that we needed. We had gotten 2 day passes already so just spent the second morning there to get a little more Harry potter time in. But we didn't need it. One day would have been plenty.
Thanks for the info. I was going to get my US tickets with my aeroplan points (so for free) but that transport/ticket deal might be interesting if we consider to not spend our points after all.
Now that you confirmed it can be done in one day, I might just do that.

Plus my DS who is 6, really is begging me to bring him to see HP. SInce we are going again with the kids in March, I might just go to IOA for one day to make him happy. THe only reason I was going to avoid it was because we will have my three year old with us too. However, I read that the baby swap is really good and that there are a few rides and splash areas he can enjoy. At least I can scout out the park this September to see if it is worth bringing them.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilRenee View Post
Oh, by the way, your baby is too adorable!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Trying to shove two parks into one day with kids really isn't a very good way to experience the parks for your first time. You can do the highlights of both parks but you will never be able to enjoy everything. There are several play and discover centres for kids as well as shows that you won't be able to really enjoy if you are trying to only use one day. Next year, the new Harry Potter area will open at the Studios and there's no way you'll be able to do both parks in one day.

You could probably do one day this time, but next time I'd plan two with the kiddos.

Last edited by damo; 06-28-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Alexsandra

Quote:
Trying to shove two parks into one day with kids really isn't a very good way to experience the parks for your first time. You can do the highlights of both parks but you will never be able to enjoy everything. There are several play and discover centres for kids as well as shows that you won't be able to really enjoy if you are trying to only use one day. Next year, the new Harry Potter area will open at the Studios and there's no way you'll be able to do both parks in one day.

You could probably do one day this time, but next time I'd plan two with the kiddos.
When is the new HP area supposed to open? I heard it is in June 2014. I am going back in March for Canadian spring break (1st to the 8th).
I did not think there was enough stuff to do with a 3 and 6 year old in 2 days but I am just guessing based on reviews.
I still can't decide if I want to do 2 days or 1 on this anniversary trip. Maybe it will be more relaxing to stay onsite and take our time.
I don't know what to do.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
When is the new HP area supposed to open? I heard it is in June 2014. I am going back in March for Canadian spring break (1st to the 8th).
I did not think there was enough stuff to do with a 3 and 6 year old in 2 days but I am just guessing based on reviews.
I still can't decide if I want to do 2 days or 1 on this anniversary trip. Maybe it will be more relaxing to stay onsite and take our time.
I don't know what to do.
You're right it isn't opening until the summer. Won't be new stuff for March Break.

You won't regret staying onsite. It just makes the whole experience so much more immersive.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Alexsandra

Quote:

You're right it isn't opening until the summer. Won't be new stuff for March Break.

You won't regret staying onsite. It just makes the whole experience so much more immersive.
Thanks for the input. I think I will just go ahead and stay onsite. I will talk to my husband about it tonight and make a final decision.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
I am arriving the 12th of September and leaving the 20th. I
am staying first five days at POly (or that is what I have booked for now!)
I was going to fit in US on the end of Vacation as it is a new experience for me. I was going to cab over to POrtofinos early morning on Wed the 18th and visit US on the same day, then on the Thurs the 19th, visit IOA so can get early admission to HP. I am flying out on the 20th so I don,t have to worry about HHN

However, if i decide on one day/2parks I would most probably go on Tuesday the 17th.
do a 2 day stay.
rates are cheaper those dates. if you have AAA, try for a room discount.

do the park to park tickets for convenience.

with a 6 yo with you, they will find plenty to do in both parks.
hit the seuss interactive section there. it is a fun section to do!

if you decide to stick with a one day visit and hit both parks, you will cut yourself short.

you can do the highlights easily but you will have to take a pass on seeing all of the parks.
there are plenty of little things that create fun times and memories.

mystic fountain is a section that amuses the public.
the "fountain" talks to the guests around it.

gotta give yourself time to take it all in as it is not scripted.
you wouldn't get the full effect of this humor the rock has if you did a quick walk by.

when you do day visits only and not stay onsite, you won't get the full effect of what UO has to offer newbies.

how ever you plan to do UO, i hope it is enjoyable for you and the family.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: