Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
darbry
Mouseketeer

Am i CRAZY for going on thanksgiving and black friday?

Please tell me it won't be too bad....this is our first trip there.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

are those your only dates you can go?

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
darbry
Mouseketeer

Yes. The whole next week we are staying at disney and we are coming down early to check it out for the first time. I just want to see Harry potter. We've wanting to go for years but have been so busy at the Disney parks haven't had time. We are staying onsite. Where would be a good place to eat for thanksgiving day?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Yes it will be bad. Very crowded. But if you sell one of your children you may be able to afford the express passes for that day (joking of course- meaning the express passes for that day will be that expensive) If you are doing both parks in one day I would start at IOA and go straight to Harry Potter. Once you are done there hit the highlights in the rest of the park and then after lunch I would hop over to Universal. I have always found Universal to be less crowded than IOA but I usually only go during slow times.

I think you can only make dining reservations at the sit down places one month in advance but I would eat at Mythos in IOA. It is a big restaurant that looks like it is made out of big boulders and stones. You can't miss it. It is right near the Poseidon's Fury attraction/show. There is a sticky thread at the top of this board that gives you all the different restaurants and the menus.

I would choose either 3 Broomsticks back in Harry Potter or Mythos. But that is because they have plain simple food items on the menu. DH and I are not very adventurous eaters.

Good luck!
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

the onsite hotel restaurants take reservations in advance.
they fill up quickly.

park restaurants will fill quickly also.

you'll be hitting major crowds on tday.

i would book a room onsite even if it is only for one day.

this would give you early entry for parry hotter section.
you would be able to do a lot in that one hour period without the general crowds in there.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
darbry
Mouseketeer

We are staying at the royal pacific for 2 nights. That includes express passes right? Can I call now for reservations? I'd hate to be sitting in our room feeding our kids pb&j on thanksgiving because we don't have anywhere to eat ;0/
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

your room is booked, you'll be fine.

not sure when you can make the tday ressie.

call the hotel and see what info they have about early reserving for that thursday.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbry View Post
We are staying at the royal pacific for 2 nights. That includes express passes right? Can I call now for reservations? I'd hate to be sitting in our room feeding our kids pb&j on thanksgiving because we don't have anywhere to eat ;0/
I can tell you that the park restaurants like Mythos are booking Christmas ressies already so most of the park restaurants are also booking Christmas already.Be aware that Mythos often closes much earlier than the park does except during peak times .Citywalk restaurants are booking thru end of October I think .Universal is not like Disney , they don't open all dining ressies 180 days in advance since they don't own and operate most of the dining venues..The park dining is about 6 months in advace, but resort eateries are 60-90 days in advance depending on the restaurant.You can make dining ressies at opentable.com...The one exception is bubba Gumps at Citywalk.They do not take ANY ressies at all.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
darbry
Mouseketeer

I got onto that site but couldn't get a reservation for mythos that evening. I will keep trying. That's really good info. Thanks!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

Mythos usually closes a few hours before park closing time. Maybe that why you can't find an evening ressie? Check an earlier time on open table!

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying onsite RPR or hrh
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
darbry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeboysandachickie
Mythos usually closes a few hours before park closing time. Maybe that why you can't find an evening ressie? Check an earlier time on open table!
I just tried for 11,12,1 and 2 and it said nothing was available. :0(
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

Check the date a week earlier. (Aweek before thanksgiving) Maybe mythos won't take ressies until 90 days out. Don't give up hope yet!

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying onsite RPR or hrh
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

We went a couple years ago, checking in at HRH on Thanksgiving after spending the previous 5 nights at Disney. We only stayed one night but got the 2 Day Park to Park Passes. We loved it and while it was busy, it was definitely not as busy as Disney. Also having the express passes was wonderful! We barely waited for the rides.

We loved Universal so much that we returned the following year around Vet's Day with extended family for 5 nights only going to Disney for MVMCP. My husband likes Universal much better than Disney since it's a much more relaxed vacation. The parks are much more compact and you could walk from your resort to both parks and not have to deal with buses.

We made reservations at the Kitchen for Thanksgiving. It was kind of expensive, around $40-$50 for adults and about $20 for the kids but it was a nice buffet. Check OpenTable.com to make reservations. All the resorts have a Thanksgiving buffet. Don't forget (like we did that year) to use your AAA card (if you have one), you can save 10% at a lot of the restaurants and shops.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeboysandachickie View Post
Check the date a week earlier. (Aweek before thanksgiving) Maybe mythos won't take ressies until 90 days out. Don't give up hope yet!
Mythos is taking ressies for early December and Christmas week already so they should be taking ressies for Thanksgiving.They could just be booked and that is what it looks like when I tried just now..It says " No ressies available within 2.5hrs of request" if it is not taking ressies yet it says.." Your requested date exceeds the maximum of available dates at this time"
Old 06-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
darbry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareHeartsDisney View Post
We went a couple years ago, checking in at HRH on Thanksgiving after spending the previous 5 nights at Disney. We only stayed one night but got the 2 Day Park to Park Passes. We loved it and while it was busy, it was definitely not as busy as Disney. Also having the express passes was wonderful! We barely waited for the rides.

We loved Universal so much that we returned the following year around Vet's Day with extended family for 5 nights only going to Disney for MVMCP. My husband likes Universal much better than Disney since it's a much more relaxed vacation. The parks are much more compact and you could walk from your resort to both parks and not have to deal with buses.

We made reservations at the Kitchen for Thanksgiving. It was kind of expensive, around $40-$50 for adults and about $20 for the kids but it was a nice buffet. Check OpenTable.com to make reservations. All the resorts have a Thanksgiving buffet. Don't forget (like we did that year) to use your AAA card (if you have one), you can save 10% at a lot of the restaurants and shops.
We are doing two nights at universal then off to Disney for the rest of the week. I will check out the kitchen. I did make a reservation for Roy's just to make sure we had somewhere to go. I'm glad the resorts have a thanksgiving buffet. I will keep trying for that. Also glad to know even though it was crowded it wasn't as bad as Disney. We've been to Disney on July 4th a couple of times and that didn't bother us too much crowd wise.
Another question: we will have a 2 year old with us. Do they have the service where you can take turns on a ride and switch out the baby?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: