Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
dawn117
Earning My Ears

Please tell me if I'm crazy!!

We are planning a week in WDW in March 2014. It will be DH and me and our 2 kids, DD20 and DS16 (so not little ones). I definitely want to stay at the BC, but rather than staying there for the whole week I'm contemplating a spilt stay. DH and I were comparing "bucket lists" --his includes staying at the Contemporary and mine includes staying at the Poly. What do you think about 2 nites at the Contemporary, 2 nites at the Poly and 3 nites at BC?
dawn117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

We have done a double split stay before and we thought it was really cool seeing all the different resorts. We did BC 2 nights, Bay Lake Tower 3 nights and AKL Villa for 3 nights. We loved it!!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We are doing a split stay from POFQ (to be with other family members) and then to the Poly CL. I think you get the best of both staying different places! 3 places in one trip seems like a lot of packing and moving, but if that doesn't bother you go for it!

karenklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
bostonminnie
Mouseketeer

We love split stays!! It's such a fun way to experience the magic at different resorts. We don't do them now since our son is a baby still, but since your kids are old enough I say go for it! Have a great trip!

bostonminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
grkmbee
Mouseketeer

I think your children's ages, as a PP said, make this idea much more reasonable. With such a short time at each resort, I'd consider packing logistics to make the moves as easy as possible. Perhaps you take 3 suitcases - on for each resort - plus a general/toiletries bag. That way you are only packing/unpacking the minimal amount making the time spent getting settled/packed have less of an impact on your vacation time.
grkmbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Not crazy, but ambitious

IT's a lot of moving in one week. I have done it, but I prefer to move once in a week. You still get to see 2 theme park areas but feel a bit more settled with 3 - 4 nights in a resort. I really like to stay in an MK and an Epcot hotel when staying 6 days or longer. I would stay at the BC and either Contemporary or Poly. My personal rule of thumb is a minimum of 3 nights per resort.

Reasons I do not like to move so often: There is some disruption for each moving day between packing Up, checking out, checking in and unpacking. Plus, for me, I don't like having about 4 hours ( 11:00 am - 3:00 pm) in the middle of my day without a room to go back and relax in with access to all my stuff. I handle it fine once in a trip, but with only 2 nights in a resort every other day you are moving again (almost, with one hotel you stay 2 days without moving))

Like GRKMBEE said, there are steps that you can take to minimize the disruption, though, and it is fun to explore the different resorts.

Only you can decide what works best for you and your family. Either way you have some great resorts selected to stay in! Enjoy!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
homedad
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't do it, we have one night at POP this trip then a week at BLT. I'm packing a suitcase for family for the one day and then leaving our regulars for the week. Point is, to us its too much packing and unpacking for split stay by choice.
homedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

If this was a resort only trip with no parks, I would say great. But if you are doing parks, how much can you enjoy a resort by staying only 2 nights, other then saying you stayed there.

DW DH DD(8) DD(2)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #9
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
If this was a resort only trip with no parks, I would say great. But if you are doing parks, how much can you enjoy a resort by staying only 2 nights, other then saying you stayed there.
Easy! We enjoyed our double split stay trip a ton!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
ITA! I love split stays. but you need to have some time to enjoy the resort itself, or what's the point? but also, If you are staying at an epcot resort, you need to utilize this perk, and walk to (or take the boat) to epcot and DHS. if you are staying at a monorail resort, you need to take advantage of the proximity to MK...
so I would suggest a 2 resort split stay.
I would choose between the contemporary and the poly.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn117 View Post
We are planning a week in WDW in March 2014. It will be DH and me and our 2 kids, DD20 and DS16 (so not little ones). I definitely want to stay at the BC, but rather than staying there for the whole week I'm contemplating a spilt stay. DH and I were comparing "bucket lists" --his includes staying at the Contemporary and mine includes staying at the Poly. What do you think about 2 nites at the Contemporary, 2 nites at the Poly and 3 nites at BC?
My family would hate this but that's my family. We did a 10 day trip through New England and we didn't stay more than two nights in one place and, man, did I get mouthfuls about that! But that's us.

I would follow the suggestion made earlier about packing. You might want to think about how to do that. My husband and I have what we call our "ditty" bag which has our essentials in it. You can find the plastic zipper bags in the travel size sections of Walmart. Anyway, we have our contact case, solution, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, razor, etc. in there. All travel size so it's very compact. You won't need shampoo since provides that. When we travel, everything we normally use at home stays at home since our bag is stocked. Very easy to throw that into a suitcase without worries.

The big concern would be dirty laundry. Each person should pack a trash bag and take care of their own.

For me, I'd rather have a car so I could stash unneeded suitcases in there instead of having them lugged to the next place.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
elaw
DIS Veteran

We also love split stays and since our vacations have become more resort-centric, we typically do multi splits per vacation. We only have the POLY left on our WDW resort stay bucket list. It can be a bit of work with all of the moving but for us, it's all part of the adventure
Packing is really a key part of any smooth split. We've also found that 3 nights is the minimum stay to really get a good feel for the resort but have done 2 nights many times and still enjoyed ourselves.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
dawn117
Earning My Ears

Thanks everybody!!

I really appreciate the responses---factoring it all in, we decided to go with 2 resorts (CR and BC) and we'll get to the Poly on another trip!
dawn117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
d3boyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn117 View Post
We did a split-split-split vacation one time. I highly recommend it! Our boys were much younger, but the result was awesome. Typically we check-in and stay put for the whole week, but we had bought more points and there were some that had to be used right away. The oldest boy had been wanting to 'play hookey' from school, so we picked them all up early one day from school (just before Christmas) and drove south. They know I don't care for snow, so they bought my story about escaping the white stuff. They didn't question the distance too much, but the oldest one did rat me out to his oblivious brothers when he saw the mouse ears on the street signs! I told them we'd see if we could get a room for the night, and that's how we did the one-night stay each at the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Wildnerness Lodge.

This was a fantastic time, and the moving about only added to the adventure. We just told the boys we didn't know how long we could stay ... it depended on if the places had room for us! They didn't need to have the 'magic' ruined by learning about reservations and all that stuff at their ages!

Ahhh, memories!
Deb
d3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We did a three way split on our last trip and I was over the packing/moving by the third resort. Granted it was only for one night so we couldn't really settle in but I would stick to 1 maybe 2 resorts if necessary.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: