Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Billmel
DIS Veteran

Coronado Springs or Port Orleans French Quarter

Just found out last night after having to cancel a trip to Pennsylvania because of work issues (which was 3 weeks away ), that we can swing Disney in September for 9 days . So the choices are a little slim for free dining and hotels. My DH liked the look of both Coronado and Port Orleans but he is leaning more towards Coronado...king beds are available there, and the extra room would be great. DH had double knee replacement beginning of this year and the added space would be great. We would be renting a scooter while there. Does anyone have any imput or advice in choosing the best resort? The only rooms available at Port Orleans are the royal rooms 2 queens. We have never stayed at either so we are basically basing our choice on pictures....THANKS!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Jellybass
Mouseketeer

Having double knee replacement I would think FQ would be preferable as it is much more compact.
Jellybass is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
DIS-OH
Mouseketeer

Because it is the smaller resort, I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. There are king bed rooms at POFQ.

The Royal Rooms you mentioned are located at Port Orleans Riverside. The two "Port Orleans" resorts are adjacent to each other and considered "sister" resorts. However, they are treated as separate resorts in the booking system...be sure you are checking availability at POFQ and not POR.

Trip #33...December 2014 at POFQ...Holiday decorations trip!

Trip #34...February 2015...our 6th Princess Half Marathon...doing the Glass Slipper challenge!

Stayed at CR, POFQ, POR, CBR, ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, WL, YC and BWV--with POFQ and YC as our current favorites!
DIS-OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Personally, I prefer Coronado over POFQ. I don't like the theming of POFQ nor do I like the compactness (it just seems so squeezed together). However, since you'll be using a scooter you might find POFQ easier since there's only one bus stop and although it shares buses with POR, the buses stop first at POFQ.

I think the walkways are wider at CSR which makes using the scooter easier, I would think.
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

CSR.......! Without a scooter for sure. With a scooter , even better.... People hate the size of the resort but its really not that bad at all IMHO. From the grounds to the awesome bus service to the nicest main pool , tothe pepper market. Rooms are gorgeous as well. Just an FYI, the pool over at POFQ is definitely on the kiddish side. Something u may not enjoy.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
ciera321
DIS Veteran

I love both resorts, so I say you can't go wrong with either one!! If I had to choose. I'd go with CSR since your DH will have a scooter, without one I'd suggest POFQ. Have fun!!!

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We've been to both. POFQ is our fave moderate. Other than the pool at CSR, we really didn't care for the resort at all. It's a hike to get anywhere (and we're both runners - just don't want to have such a long haul to fill our mugs or go to the pool with our kids.) The Pepper Market was very chaotic and confusing (not to mention that even though it's quick service, you have to tip.) We were also there during a convention and it just made it seem very un-Disneylike. We just love POFQ. It's so small and quiet. It's also 1st pick up and drop off (before POR) for the buses. We liked the food court and we really liked the ferry boats to DTD. The pool is small but nice. POFQ gets our vote!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Royal Rooms not at POFQ

You are saying your choice is CSR or the Royal Rooms at PO but that is Riverside not French Quarter. So if you are looking at Royal Rooms, now you need to look at POR pictures, not POFQ. We stayed in the Royals last year and they are beautiful and well located. POFQ is the sister resort next door but it has no TS so if on DDP it means you have no TS options there.

CSR is our favorite moderate resort. Rooms are beautiful, resort is stunning especially at night and being on the DDP there is great because the Pepper Market food is much better than most food courts but more pricey - DDP pays that for you.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !

Last edited by HopperFan; 06-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybass View Post
Having double knee replacement I would think FQ would be preferable as it is much more compact.
DITTO! with that said, CSR is also a lovely resort and the TS is quite good. If you opt for CSR, I would absolutely, definitely pay for a preferred room.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We've been to both. POFQ is our fave moderate. Other than the pool at CSR, we really didn't care for the resort at all. It's a hike to get anywhere (and we're both runners - just don't want to have such a long haul to fill our mugs or go to the pool with our kids.) The Pepper Market was very chaotic and confusing (not to mention that even though it's quick service, you have to tip.) We were also there during a convention and it just made it seem very un-Disneylike. We just love POFQ. It's so small and quiet. It's also 1st pick up and drop off (before POR) for the buses. We liked the food court and we really liked the ferry boats to DTD. The pool is small but nice. POFQ gets our vote!
We just stayed at POFQ and stayed at CSR last year and agree 100% with this post...we prefer POFQ. CSR is lovely but if you are at the far end of the resort it is way too far for us and we are both walkers/runners too!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: