Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Meal *Plan* (not Meal Deal)

I wonder if anyone else here has seen this that just popped up as a sidebar ad on something else I was reading today:

Vacation Like You Mean It With FREE* Dining
Enjoy 2 FREE* Days of the Universal Dining Plan** valid in both Universal Orlando® theme parks as well as select locations in Universal CityWalk®
Learn More

Meal Plan Information

Looks very similar to the standard Disney Dining Plan we used to get - we prefer the Quick Service Plan now though. This looks like a great planning tool. I would have definitely booked this if it (or similar) was available on our trip earlier this year. What are y'alls opinions on this new development? I thought that someone had posted about this a while back but the actual plan hadn't been fleshed out yet and none of the booking agents knew a thing about it.

MODS - sorry, I couldn't determine where to post this best - here (since it can only be booked with a hotel/park package) or on the US/IOA food sticky. Please feel free to move as required.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
tripplanner2
DIS Veteran

I looked into it. To get it for free you have to stay offsite and it is only for 2 days no matter how long you stay or how many days in the park. I called to add it to my onsite reservation and it is $47.99 per adult and $17.99 per child per day. She priced out a vacation for me with 8 days at PBR and 3 day park to park tickets. Price seemed awesome until I got the reservation and saw that it only included 3 days worth of dining on my reservation. Not worth it in the end. Have room discounts through Travelocity and getting our tickets at a discount. To be locked into $200 per day on food is not what we may actually spend.
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i checked it out.

for me, it is something i won't be using.

i have the AP and don't need park tickets.

i don't book packages, only room only.

i don't eat over $50 a day in the parks.

for those that are doing an offsite hotel package and receive 2 free days of dining for all in their group, they would enjoy this deal.

but if they want an offsite room only, no package, it won't work for them as the promo is set up now.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

We won't be using it either..1) the 40% off discount code I got is a better value .2) I never book pkgs because they really come out the better deal with Universal and 3)NONE of the resort restaurants are on the list and alot of the better ones on Citywalk aren't either..Not worth it to us
Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Clarification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplanner2 View Post
I looked into it. To get it for free you have to stay offsite and it is only for 2 days no matter how long you stay or how many days in the park. I called to add it to my onsite reservation and it is $47.99 per adult and $17.99 per child per day. She priced out a vacation for me with 8 days at PBR and 3 day park to park tickets. Price seemed awesome until I got the reservation and saw that it only included 3 days worth of dining on my reservation. Not worth it in the end. Have room discounts through Travelocity and getting our tickets at a discount. To be locked into $200 per day on food is not what we may actually spend.
I saw that it was included for an offsite stay - but I was wondering if it was even available for an onsite reservation. I figured that the two-day free dining offer would be similar to what Disney offers (free dining with full-price resort booking) but was confused that it was tied to reservations at partner hotels. Pricewise, it is very competitive with the standard WDW dining plan. It is good to know that you can add it to your reservation though. It has to be better than the Meal Deal we purchased for our stay since it includes Mythos, Fire Eaters Grill and the other (better) table service restaurants too.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
MODS - sorry, I couldn't determine where to post this best - here (since it can only be booked with a hotel/park package) or on the US/IOA food sticky. Please feel free to move as required.
No problem...since this meal plan is only available to hotel guests and not the general public, I'll leave it here.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
macraven
Proud Redhead
I’m a Universal Homie

i read a blurb that onsite packages could do this dining also.

that was when it first was announced.
haven't gone back to see if any changes made to eliminate the onsite hotels.

in case that has happened, the peep should call UO reservations to inquire about packages for onsite hotels with the dining as an option to add on.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I saw that it was included for an offsite stay - but I was wondering if it was even available for an onsite reservation. I figured that the two-day free dining offer would be similar to what Disney offers (free dining with full-price resort booking) but was confused that it was tied to reservations at partner hotels. Pricewise, it is very competitive with the standard WDW dining plan. It is good to know that you can add it to your reservation though. It has to be better than the Meal Deal we purchased for our stay since it includes Mythos, Fire Eaters Grill and the other (better) table service restaurants too.
It wont let you reserve any on-site hotels with the Dining Plan promo online. It looks likes its for off site hotels only

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
It wont let you reserve any on-site hotels with the Dining Plan promo online. It looks likes its for off site hotels only
That's right - the promo is only for offsite hotels. However, you can add it at the full cost to onsite hotels. It is limited but I understand that it may be expanded to include hotel restaurants at some point in the future. I'm sure most people come out ahead without the dining plan since they could use AAA or their APH discount for many restaurants.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareHeartsDisney View Post
That's right - the promo is only for offsite hotels. However, you can add it at the full cost to onsite hotels. It is limited but I understand that it may be expanded to include hotel restaurants at some point in the future. I'm sure most people come out ahead without the dining plan since they could use AAA or their APH discount for many restaurants.
I could not find anywhere where we could add it to a ressie under HRH.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
macraven
Proud Redhead
I’m a Universal Homie

it is under the add ons.

bottom left of the page for options.

i have seen some things moved around on the uo site recently, if you don't find it there, it's probably at another place.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
it is under the add ons.

bottom left of the page for options.

i have seen some things moved around on the uo site recently, if you don't find it there, it's probably at another place.
It shows in the Add on's but when doing a reservation for HRH there is no where to add it. It just gives the options of changing your activities.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
It shows in the Add on's but when doing a reservation for HRH there is no where to add it. It just gives the options of changing your activities.
You might want to call them to add it on.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: