Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Sunnyday3
Mouseketeer

Unhappy So upset...

So...I booked our trip in Feb for our August stay. I planned for a stay at CBR with deluxe dining. We made a couple of payments. A promo came out in April -I called to take advantage of it and got a good savings. I guess the CM changed our dining plan from deluxe to the one TS/one QS plan. She never told me - and I never questioned it. Stupid me for thinking the discount was THAT good (I also removed our park hopper and water park plan since we don't use them - so I guess I just figured it was a good deal.) We hadn't gotten any billing statements in between Feb. and June - so I never even saw the change in plan.

Anyway, our itinerary packet comes today - and I see the change in dining. Mind you - I've got the greatest ADR's - BOG, etc. Still thinking we have the deluxe plan and it's just a mistake - I call. Nope - we were switched to the other dining plan. The CM even listened to the recorded call when I requested the promo discount and recognized that I didn't switch the meal plan. Now we either have to come up with $850 to go back to the deluxe plan - or drop some of our pricier character meals that we were planning to cover with DD.

I'm so upset. I was thinking that our trip was set - and we have a month to go. For us, that's a huge amount to pay. I'm sad - and angry that the switch was made, and I didn't even realize it. I feel like the magic is over before it even started.
Sunnyday3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
The Hendies
DIS Veteran

I hope whatever you decide, you are still able to have a wonderful vacation! I know the extra $$$ at this point in the game would be rough. Maybe start with weeding a few TS meals, but balance that with some terrific CS plans. There are some really good CS places! Honestly, I am not sure I could ever do the deluxe dining plan. Too much food and too much time spent getting to the restaurant, eating, and getting back to the fun in the parks! Hang in there!

Next trip .... 10/10/14 for my birthday!

DH Me

The Hendies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

$850... hmmm.. I would keep it the way it is. I would just drop some ADRs. I personally wouldn't fret about it. Don't worry about the magic.. it will be there once your are in Disney. You will be having so much fun that you'll probably forget about the dining plan. Don't let this ruin your trip or your planning.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyday3 View Post
So...I booked our trip in Feb for our August stay. I planned for a stay at CBR with deluxe dining. We made a couple of payments. A promo came out in April -I called to take advantage of it and got a good savings. I guess the CM changed our dining plan from deluxe to the one TS/one QS plan. She never told me - and I never questioned it. Stupid me for thinking the discount was THAT good (I also removed our park hopper and water park plan since we don't use them - so I guess I just figured it was a good deal.) We hadn't gotten any billing statements in between Feb. and June - so I never even saw the change in plan.

Anyway, our itinerary packet comes today - and I see the change in dining. Mind you - I've got the greatest ADR's - BOG, etc. Still thinking we have the deluxe plan and it's just a mistake - I call. Nope - we were switched to the other dining plan. The CM even listened to the recorded call when I requested the promo discount and recognized that I didn't switch the meal plan. Now we either have to come up with $850 to go back to the deluxe plan - or drop some of our pricier character meals that we were planning to cover with DD.

I'm so upset. I was thinking that our trip was set - and we have a month to go. For us, that's a huge amount to pay. I'm sad - and angry that the switch was made, and I didn't even realize it. I feel like the magic is over before it even started.
Well, that stinks! It must be very disappointing to think that everything was set and now it's not.

I will say, as gently as I can, that if having to "come up" with $850 is an issue ("For us, that's a huge amount to pay.") then perhaps you really couldn't afford a Disney vacation with the DxDDP in the first place. I don't intend to be mean, but maybe it's a financial blessing that you will not be spending as much as you had intended to. In any case, you will be at WDW and it will be perfectly magical without the DxDDP .
Old 06-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Well, that stinks! It must be very disappointing to think that everything was set and now it's not.

I will say, as gently as I can, that if having to "come up" with $850 is an issue ("For us, that's a huge amount to pay.") then perhaps you really couldn't afford a Disney vacation with the DxDDP in the first place. I don't intend to be mean, but maybe it's a financial blessing that you will not be spending as much as you had intended to. In any case, you will be at WDW and it will be perfectly magical without the DxDDP .
Good grief. That was quite a leap you took assuming they couldn't afford a Disney Vacation with DxDDP. If you feel like you must add "I will say as gently as I can" and "I am don't intend to be mean"...in the same sentence...perhaps you shouldn't say it.

Perhaps it is more about that fact that the OP thought everything was covered and now has to completely re-think her plans. To have to factor in an additional $850 one month before you leave in order to keep everything that was originally planned, is enough to get most folks upset.

OP - I am not sure what your entire vacation looks like in terms of ADR's. But I would take a look at your plans and see what you can keep with the Regular Dining Plan. Even if you have to pay for a few meals OOP, I bet you would still come out ahead of $850. Please don't let it get you down.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Good grief. That was quite a leap you took assuming they couldn't afford a Disney Vacation with DxDDP. If you feel like you must add "I will say as gently as I can" and "I am don't intend to be mean"...in the same sentence...perhaps you shouldn't say it.

Perhaps it is more about that fact that the OP thought everything was covered and now has to completely re-think her plans. To have to factor in an additional $850 one month before you leave in order to keep everything that was originally planned, is enough to get most folks upset.

OP - I am not sure what your entire vacation looks like in terms of ADR's. But I would take a look at your plans and see what you can keep with the Regular Dining Plan. Even if you have to pay for a few meals OOP, I bet you would still come out ahead of $850. Please don't let it get you down.
I agree. I would be upset as well.

OP, the DxDP is a lot of food, especially once you get a couple days behind you. I would look at what you have for ADR's, maybe cut a few and pay OOP for a few. I bet you would still come out ahead of the 850.00 you originally would have spent on the plan.

Kelly
Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I agree, leave it, and use the OOP money to pay for what you really want.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Sunnyday3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post

Actually we can afford it, but as a teacher, I carefully budget my vacation because I do not get a paycheck throughout the summer. At the beginning of June I sit down and pay the bills for July and August. So what I should have conveyed is that I wasn't planning to have to pay an additional $850 on the trip that I thought we'd paid in full. It means that if we chose to, I'd have to pull it from the savings account we have set up for our yearly vacations.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Lauren0505
Mouseketeer

Wow, that is very upsetting and a horrible thing to deal with this close to your departure date.
I hope this doesn't ruin your whole trip for you. I agree with the others who would cancel some of the ADR and try to make the regular dining plan work.
Good luck!
Lauren0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
mistysue
DIS Veteran

OP- $850 would cover 7-8 buffet character meals for a group of 3 OOP, right? Do you need to cancel more than that? By the time you tip for them, you are talking about something like $1,000. I bet if you go through your TS meals and pick the least expensive ones you could probably pay aprox. half of that. I would use your credits for your most expensive ones. If you are eating that often, some of the non-buffet meals you may actually be happier eating lighter- salad with no appetizer or dessert- and get out of there for significantly less than the DxDDP would have cost per meal. Do you want to post where you are going to see which ones would be the best cost OOP? I use allears.net to compare prices and pick places. Sometimes a simple switch from dinner to breakfast makes a meal at a location much more doable on a budget.

I get that it's still upsetting, but in the long run you really may be coming out ahead. How long is your trip for? Didn't the price sound a little too good to be true? I've unfortunately done things like that before and thought it didn't sound right but just never questioned it.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally understand her being upset and I completely sympathize 100%. It sucks to have to change all your plans or pay more than you expected/budgeted. I was commenting on where she said "For us, that's a huge amount to pay.". If it's a "huge amount to pay" now, it was a huge amount to pay back when she made her reservation. The $850 price tag doesn't change. Either she can afford it and continue with her original plan or it's a "huge amount" and she could really never afford it.

In any case, I'm sure she will have a great time! I like the idea of paying OOP for some meals that she can't let go of.

ETA: I see that she can afford it from her vacation fund. Problem solved! Pull out the $850 and fund the vacation fund a little more every month for next year.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Sunnyday3
Mouseketeer

Quote:

This was what I meant to say-it just threw me for a loop as I was expecting everything to be all set. I'm going to look at our plans again-we have many character meals. It's my daughter's first trip and we've (I've) got princesses on the brain. We also have the Hoop de Do and the Spirit of Aloha. It is too much food-but I think we actually had a better deal.

I'm feeling better about it-it was just a surprise! Ugh
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
MOpGrad2013
Mouseketeer

Were you planning all 3 ADRs as TS on the DxDDP?

We did 2TS and 1CS each day when we did the Dx. But none were Signature (2 credits). If this is your current plan, I would just leave it and instead of giving Disney the $850, do the OOP for the other meals. Well...do that if it's a good plan for you basing your choices on the menus. After all, we are talking the money plus your tips.

I don't blame you for being upset and disappointed. It should have been all complete and then you get the surprise.

Thanks to you for being a teacher! Enjoy your vacation time.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
scdak
DIS Veteran

Deluxe is alot of food - and that's from 2 Pooh sized woman! We were sick of eating about 1/2 way through our 10 day stay last fall but had such great ADR's we kept most of them, I think we cancelled one, and opted not to have appetizers one meal, skipped dessert 2 times too. You have been given some great ideas so I won't repeat them, you will figure it all out and have a great trip!
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Sunnyday3
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the "chin-up's". I appreciate all of the good tips. We won't be going again for another 3 years so next time I'll have to double check better. What a stupid mistake! Anyway, I'm looking forward to taking my baby girl to Cinderella's table and my boys live the HDDR. I'm glad that I could vent here with Disney lovers.

Thanks again :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: