Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which year would you go for MNSSHP
Oct. 2013 Go for it 35 100.00%
Oct. 2014 Be smart and plan more 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
tlkscott
Mouseketeer

Is it too late for a Sept. trip?

We were not planning on going until Jan/Feb. 2014. However, we have come into some money and are are thinking of trying to go in Sept. or Oct. Do you think that we would be able to rent points and get a savannah view deluxe studio at AKV? Also we are major foodies and would want ADR's for at least two meals a day. My husband has said that we are now going in Sept./Oct. now no matter what so that we can take our son to MNSSHP. Can I pull this off if our dates are somewhat flexible. We are wanting to stay 8 nights, checking in on a Friday and leaving on the following Sat. Would we better off just waiting until 2014?

Last edited by tlkscott; 05-19-2013 at 02:31 PM.
tlkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure about renting points since I've never done it, but it's not too late to plan a September trip for the most part.

There are people who plan a year and half in advance for various reasons, but it's not a necessity. You can go on Disney's website and book dining reservations and see what's available. September is a slower time, so you should be alright. I do recommend getting your party tickets ASAP so that you don't risk it being sold out - especially if it's only happening one time while you're there.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I voted for go this year. If you can afford to go soon, I think you should jump at the opportunity while you can. Who knows what your situation will be like next year. Something could happen that will cause you to cancel, or alternatively, you might be able to afford to do a vacation next year AS WELL. As they say in my neck of the woods - 'Make hay while the sun shines'.

I'm not sure about the availability of AKV points. But as someone who's traveling Sep/Oct, I've been checking ADRs a lot lately. Mine are all booked, but I seem to be making minor changes every week or so. You will struggle to get bookings at the really popular places (BOG, Ohana, CP before park opening etc), but otherwise there is still quite a lot of availability out there.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
I voted for go this year. If you can afford to go soon, I think you should jump at the opportunity while you can. Who knows what your situation will be like next year. Something could happen that will cause you to cancel, or alternatively, you might be able to afford to do a vacation next year AS WELL. As they say in my neck of the woods - 'Make hay while the sun shines'.

I'm not sure about the availability of AKV points. But as someone who's traveling Sep/Oct, I've been checking ADRs a lot lately. Mine are all booked, but I seem to be making minor changes every week or so. You will struggle to get bookings at the really popular places (BOG, Ohana, CP before park opening etc), but otherwise there is still quite a lot of availability out there.
As far as points go I've heard good things about "David's DVC Rentals" who rent out points for owners that can't use them. Never used them myself, though.

Planning? Well, I'm the guy who got fed up with winter snowstorms on a Friday afternoon, convinced my wife over a couple of hours of texting, and was on a plane for Florida Saturday evening. So, no, planning is not a strength.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
franluvsbubba
Mouseketeer

Sept is also when they have the free dining so that's a plus! We always go then and only have 117 days to go!
franluvsbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
saskdw
DIS Veteran

We never book more than about 4-5 months out. The only thing that requires more time is possibly doing ADR's at 6 months out. I've never really understood all the people on here panicking to plan a trip 11/2 years before they are going.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
maryj11
DIS Veteran

I voted this year, it doesnt take long to plan everything. Just use the internet and decide what you want to do such as which resort and if you would like the dining plan, which restaurants, how many days on park tickets ect....3 months is plenty to plan it. Here is a site that makes so much easier to plan www.easywdw.com
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't rent points just go through Disney and get the free dining! You can then upgrade to deluxe dining
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 YACHT CLUB

amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkscott View Post
We were not planning on going until Jan/Feb. 2014. However, we have come into some money and are are thinking of trying to go in Sept. or Oct. Do you think that we would be able to rent points and get a savannah view deluxe studio at AKV? Also we are major foodies and would want ADR's for at least two meals a day. My husband has said that we are now going in Sept./Oct. now no matter what so that we can take our son to MNSSHP. Can I pull this off if our dates are somewhat flexible. We are wanting to stay 8 nights, checking in on a Friday and leaving on the following Sat. Would we better off just waiting until 2014?
I doubt you'd get any savanna studio this late.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
ajfd
Mouseketeer

We didn't plan our late-April trip until early March.

Luckily, someone recommended a travel agent to us that took care of everything we were looking to do with regards to ADRs. We got several things that the Disney website said were booked. If we hadn't gone to her, we would not have gone on what ended up being an AMAZING family trip (we based our go/no-go on what ADRs we could get).

If you are interested (and it is not against site rules), I would be more than happy to PM you her contact information.
ajfd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Can't help you with DVC availability. But you can go on the dining and see if the places you are wanting still have availability.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
benji2012
Mouseketeer

We booked 2 studio savannah views at Kidani about a week ago; wait listed Jambo. Jambo was available the week beforE; but we weren't able to book then...so I say it's possible!

Just booked our ADRs on Friday, got everything we wanted!
benji2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
WDWGeek1971
Mouseketeer

Perfect time to be thinking of a Sept/Oct Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccu18007 View Post
I wouldn't rent points just go through Disney and get the free dining! You can then upgrade to deluxe dining
I'd recommend doing the math first. You could probably pay for points, buy an AP, and a Tables in Wonderland membership, eat what you want, where you want and come out way ahead.

Also since you are foodies, you should plan to be there during Food and Wine Festival. Rather than spending all your dining budget on restaurants, you could sign up for signature dining events, for which your Disney Dining Plan is not usable. And by the way, you can't even sign up for those events until August, so you have plenty of time to plan.

Enjoy! Maybe we'll see you there. We won't even book our trip until the Signature Event dates are published. We're hoping for a repeat of the Italian White Truffle Lunch, and the 3D Dessert Party!

First Visit: December 1971
Most Recent Visits: Oct/Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2011, May 2011, July 2011, Oct 2011, Nov 2011, Dec 2011, Feb 2012, May 2012, Aug 2012, Sept/Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Mar 2013, Oct/Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Mar 2014, May 2014.
Next Visits: F&W Oct 2014, Dec 2014
WDWGeek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

Totally not too late. We just booked a trip for July this weekend!

As for the DVC point rentals--if you have some flexibility in your dates, you might be in luck. A coworker of mine owns DVC and I was going to rent points from her (we too were looking at savannah view in AKV, Jambo House) but we only have one week we can go, and there was nothing available. However, there was availability for the next week. You just might luck out. Good luck!

2011: WDW, Wilderness Lodge | 2012: WDW, Caribbean Beach/Boardwalk Inn CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge | 2013: WDW, Polynesian CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge CL | 2013: DLR, Candy Cane Inn

Up next: CCI/GCH, August 2014

mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
tlkscott
Mouseketeer

I guess that I should say that I have had plans worked out for months already. I even know where all we want to eat at. Now the problem will be getting ADRs. Oh yeah, I cannot transfer money until tomorrow.
tlkscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: