Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Anyone ever just stayed at the resort....the whole trip....no parks?

Considering this. I have a student in the CP. We have a big trip planned for September...our usual to tour all the parks etc. Considering coming down later in the year at holiday time just to soak up the resort, go to DTD, hotel character meals...just take it easy but still in disney atmosphere. Would perhaps buy a one day to visit epcot or MK but don't want to do all the parks again. Don't want that expense or that headache with the high holiday crowds. Anyone ever done this
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

We do it quite often. We're an older couple and we've seen all the parks. We enjoy all the other things WDW has to offer. We've found that, during the day most places are not very crowded and we can really enjoy a day of shopping, lounging at the pool, resort hopping, etc. You still get the Disney atmosphere without all the hustle and bustle and crowds of the parks.

Beth
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I've never done it but it sounds like a great idea! You could do exactly what you said...wander all the hotels, relax at the pool, go to DTD, wander the shops at diff hotels, diff meals, etc. I think it'd be really relaxing!
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
katiee37
DIS Veteran

Parks are definitely the main attraction at WDW I feel like, but there is definitely so much more to the World! Another thing I would want to try are the two water parks--there's never enough time for my family when we're touring all four parks!
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

We do this nearly every trip. That is the down fall of going twice a year...you get burned out with respect to the parks. Just go to some of the other resorts and look around. Very easy to burn off two weeks or how ever much time you have. Just consider the whole trip to be downtime...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

go ask on the dvc resorts board - lots of them do it

I don't have the will pwer.... now staying at OKW or AKV might work.

besdies have ap - so the tickets are not costing me anything

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

After going multiple times, we do this. In August, we plan on doing AK, that's it. Maybe a water park. The itenerary contains a few TS meals, but those may get dropped. We do a lot of nothing.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR GSC

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952 View Post
We do it quite often. We're an older couple and we've seen all the parks. We enjoy all the other things WDW has to offer. We've found that, during the day most places are not very crowded and we can really enjoy a day of shopping, lounging at the pool, resort hopping, etc. You still get the Disney atmosphere without all the hustle and bustle and crowds of the parks.

Beth
Totally agree. Last year we stayed at POP (worst decision ever) and we had a one day park hopper pass. We toured all the Deluxe Hotels to see the decorations, went to DTD to eat & see the decorations there & a wee bit of shopping and then did a little bit of fun at MK and then topped the night off with the Osborne Lights at DHS. It was so nice to be able to do what we wanted, when we wanted and we managed to avoid the major crush of people by going in off times to the parks except for DHS. Just relax and enjoy what you want when you want!

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
bearloch
DIS Veteran

We did it we got a deal on a hotel but could not afford tickets ( we are local) and had a blast! we checked out all the resorts and swam, watched the fireworks from the ttc, and just had a relaxing weekend!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
imabeimabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartinique View Post
Considering this. I have a student in the CP. We have a big trip planned for September...our usual to tour all the parks etc. Considering coming down later in the year at holiday time just to soak up the resort, go to DTD, hotel character meals...just take it easy but still in disney atmosphere. Would perhaps buy a one day to visit epcot or MK but don't want to do all the parks again. Don't want that expense or that headache with the high holiday crowds. Anyone ever done this
I'm going with lots of family in Oct. but really wanted to go to the CP again this year. So when 49$ flights came out I booked DH and myself for 2 nights. We will do some resort touring and DTD the first day and Epcot the next. I just love being at Disney during the holiday season (as long as its not the actual week of Christmas with those horrendous crowds) I'm really looking forward to it! Congrats to your child for being in the CP. Its a fabulous show!
imabeimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

When we go to Disney we always book the least amount of park tickets to get the "deal". This trip we only have two days of park tickets but will be there for 6 days.
We have spent days just "boating around" or wondering around DTD. During the week in the late morning is a good time to visit DTD, there is no one there and you can usually be the first ones in for lunch at Earl of Sandwich and Ghiradellis.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartinique View Post
Yes, we do this often and love our resort-only trips. For those trips, we like to stay deluxe for the restaurants and activities, but otherwise we stick with moderate resorts.

I think a resort-only stay around Christmas sounds much more enjoyable than actually being in the parks then.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer

A resort only trip sounds like my perfect holiday! Lots of people must do it otherwise they would only sell packages where tickets were included in the resort price, like at Disneyland Paris

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
MeeskaMooskaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

We actually started doing this years ago when my DH asked me where I wanted to have dinner for my birthday. Without thinking, I said "Boma", and he said "Make it so!". I did...and the rest is history. We're starting to think about another "downtime only" trip this fall, but it may include a day at either Epcot or Animal Kingdom, but no other parks.

Beth
Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

We haven't done a trip like this yet, but we are planning to in the future. We stay at OKW and feel like there's plenty to do just at that resort let alone all of the other resorts, DTD, Boardwalk, etc. I think there's plenty to do in WDW besides visiting the parks!

I say go and enjoy it!

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: