Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #16
jenniferleigh1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer101 View Post
Wow- I had no idea. Thanks for showing me this. So disappointing- no longer a "duel" but a "chase" lol
jenniferleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferleigh1 View Post
Wow- I had no idea. Thanks for showing me this. So disappointing- no longer a "duel" but a "chase" lol
The D's will be disappointed, but since I have no intention of going on either of them, I will be just fine.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMonster View Post
Link to Video. http://youtu.be/g296cq8wX0w

BBQMonster
BBQMonster, thanks for the video! We are coaster wimps but are going to give a few new things a try this time. Your video makes it look exciting but not totally terrifying!

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Universal and IOA are my favorite parks and I am also a coaster enthusiast, but I do tend to skip these rides. Definitely not the jerkiest coasters ever, but they are a little to jerky for my taste. But I am just not a fan of big twist and turn coasters, I am more of a tall, straight and fast person. However with that all being said I will most likely ride these on the next visit since it has been quite a while since I've ridden them. I definitely don't think they are anything to fear, you should at least try them and judge for yourself.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
MDer2FL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The video you saw on YouTube must have been shot with a handheld camera as the ride is very smooth. Below is a video I shot at the beginning of May using a Chest Mounted GoPro 3. There are lots of twists, turns & loops, but it is a very smooth ride. Bluer101 gave you great advise about the front row great view plus you don't have to worry about the person in front of you Puking. Trust me it happens.

Link to Video. http://youtu.be/g296cq8wX0w
Be sure to have sound on as the girl next to me is screaming like crazy.
Have fun. I am Jealous I don't get to ride it for another year.
BBQMonster
OMG.... rofl..... great video! I laughed the whole time because that would totally be ME screaming like that! About halfway thru, I thought, did she pass out, cuz it got quiet, but then she starts up again!

I hate that I'm such a chicken. I really want to try some of these rides but I don't know if I'll be able to.
MDer2FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

I like how everyone still refers to them as Dueling Dragons instead of Dragon Challenge.

I too miss both going at the same time. As much as I still enjoy riding them, it just didn't have the same feel anymore when both would go at the same time.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I rode Dragon Challenge and didn't like it. I can take a little bit of a loop or two like on Rock N Roller Coaster at HS, but on DC I got so loopy headed and dizzy. I think if I had sat in the front row and had been able to see what was coming it might not have made me so dizzy but when you aren't sitting in the front row all you can see are the seat backs in front of you.

I may try to ride it again one day and I will get in line for the front row.

I wish the walk back to get on the ride wasn't so LONGGGG. It seems like you walk for half a mile from the entrance until you get on the ride.

But I don't remember being banged around on it.

ETA: I just watched the POV video and it does seem like it would be a lot better riding in the front row.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much everyone for the tips and thank you for the link to the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Dragon Challenge is actually one of the smoothest coasters. However, like any coasters with twists and turns, you are likely to bump your head on the restraints.

If you are comparing it to Wonderland rides, it has the smoothness of Behemoth even though it is an inverted coaster like Flight Deck.
I was thinking Wonderland. Flight Deck always, without fail, gives me a horrendous headache but was completely fine on Behemoth.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
rschaen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschmerl
I can ride DD over and over many times in a row. Hulk gives me a headache and has hurt my neck.
Me too! Love Dragons but Hulk restraints smash my ears. Ouch!!!
rschaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
BBQMonster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
BBQMonster, thanks for the video! We are coaster wimps but are going to give a few new things a try this time. Your video makes it look exciting but not totally terrifying!
Glad you enjoyed it. Its one of my favorites and I wish it wasn't over 2,000 miles away. One tip, If you are going to go on the Forbidden Journey leave your stuff in the lockers by Dragon Challenge as the locker area is a lot less congested than the ones near FJ.

Tried to get a video on Hulk, but they saw the GoPro sticking out of my shirt before the ride started. The CM made me remove the camera from the chest mount and put it in my pocket before the ride started. The funny thing is it was actually more secure when it was attached to the chest mount that it was in my pocket. Oh well, rules are rules I guess.

BBQMonster
BBQMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. Its one of my favorites and I wish it wasn't over 2,000 miles away. One tip, If you are going to go on the Forbidden Journey leave your stuff in the lockers by Dragon Challenge as the locker area is a lot less congested than the ones near FJ.

Tried to get a video on Hulk, but they saw the GoPro sticking out of my shirt before the ride started. The CM made me remove the camera from the chest mount and put it in my pocket before the ride started. The funny thing is it was actually more secure when it was attached to the chest mount that it was in my pocket. Oh well, rules are rules I guess.

BBQMonster
You have to be careful if you put your stuff in the lockers over by DC if you are riding Forbidden Journey. Since that queue is generally shorter than the FJ queue, the amount of free time allowed will be much less. You don't want to come back after riding Forbidden Journey and find that your time ran out on your locker at DC and now you have to pay.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
I like how everyone still refers to them as Dueling Dragons instead of Dragon Challenge.

I too miss both going at the same time. As much as I still enjoy riding them, it just didn't have the same feel anymore when both would go at the same time.
i always call it dueling dragons.
i'm not changing ...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
BBQMonster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
You have to be careful if you put your stuff in the lockers over by DC if you are riding Forbidden Journey. Since that queue is generally shorter than the FJ queue, the amount of free time allowed will be much less. You don't want to come back after riding Forbidden Journey and find that your time ran out on your locker at DC and now you have to pay.
You are right. I should have reminded them to check the amount of "Free Time". I have only done the single rider line at FJ so the time has never been a problem for me. To me the locker area at FJ is a mess so I will do just about anything to avoid it. I will never understand why people feel it is necessary for everyone in their party to huddle around a locker when one person is all that is required.
BBQMonster
BBQMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: