Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

ONly 2 nights...

I am trying to pin down a Magic Kingdom resort for only 2 nights. I already have the WL booked with AAA discount, but have to wait until Sept. for December discounts, if there are going to be any.

I would love to stay at the Poly or GF, but the claustrophic in me is afraid of getting on that old monorail and being stuck for 45minutes looking at the castle with an autistic kid, not being able to do anything about it. I saw a TR that someone at GF was trying to get to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop, but didn't get there until after 11 because the monorail broke down and the line for the boat was winding thru the whole resort.

I see threads about the monorail but do the regulars know if the breakdowns are the normal, or just bad timing on my part by reading the only ones.

I wish we could walk. Any thoughts, or should I just book the Contemporary, even though it's not my favorite?
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post
I am trying to pin down a Magic Kingdom resort for only 2 nights. I already have the WL booked with AAA discount, but have to wait until Sept. for December discounts, if there are going to be any.

I would love to stay at the Poly or GF, but the claustrophic in me is afraid of getting on that old monorail and being stuck for 45minutes looking at the castle with an autistic kid, not being able to do anything about it. I saw a TR that someone at GF was trying to get to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop, but didn't get there until after 11 because the monorail broke down and the line for the boat was winding thru the whole resort.

I see threads about the monorail but do the regulars know if the breakdowns are the normal, or just bad timing on my part by reading the only ones.

I wish we could walk. Any thoughts, or should I just book the Contemporary, even though it's not my favorite?
I'm not a fan of the MK monorail. I've been stuck on it more than a couple of times and I prefer to take the boats whenever possible. However, I would still book the Poly or GF if that's where I wanted to stay. You only take the resort monorail to get to the MK. All other transportation from those resorts to the other parks is via bus. The only exception would be if you were to walk from the Poly to the TTC to take the Epcot monorail. FWIW, I've had better luck with the Epcot monorail running smoothly.

ETA: If I were staying at one of the monorail resorts and I encountered the kind of delay that was mentioned by that poster (yes, I saw the photos!), I would have gotten a cab to wherever I was going. That was an insane situation and Disney's transportation seriously dropped the ball on that one by not mobilizing buses to take people to the MK.

Last edited by Marionnette; 06-27-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: