Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Just Back From POR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I have to say POR is a beautiful resort. There were a few things that I didn't care for but those are things that happen resort-wide not just Riverside.....ie, people smoking in the breezways, etc. in lieu of the designated areas, room dampness (just a Florida thing I guess)......loud talking walking past the room 24/7.....

We drive through the night and arrived at like 9 a.m. so I knew we would not have a room for quite some time. The CM had us in AB. I had sent my fax in about 5 days prior requesting a mansion building on an upper floor is possible. He switched us to Magnolia Terrace (which is where I wanted to be), however he must've been confused as he had us on the second floor and told me that the inner rooms had 3 floors and the outer rooms had 2.....not so, we had a third floor ( a rowdy third floor) above us. Anyway, we roamed around and enjoyed looking at the resort while waiting for the text that our room was ready. I checked often. Finally around 3:00 I went to the concierge and asked if it was nearly ready. He told me they had sent the room ready text at 12:30.....oh really???? I was p***** but did not say anything because I had read about that here and although I knew it could happen I was hoping it wouldn't. My kids were exhausted and just wanted to get to the room.

The carriage ride was nice and our horse, Doug was huge and gorgeous! The kids loved the pool and also liked the arcade but prefer the value arcades since they pay out in redeemable tickets. We were not fans of the food court but it's that way at every resort we have been to so far.....with the exception of AoA's where we ate twice last year and once this year ~ LOVE that food court!!!!

All in all we really did enjoy the resort and it really is beautiful. The kids made friends at the pool and the water taxi was great. Even got to see YeeHaw Bob for a couple of minutes

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

yeah, I keep hearing about those texts not working. I will be calling myself If our room is not ready or just planning on staying out the afternoon.

the dampness, I know what you mean. And this is what baffles me about Florida, why in God's name do people in Florida have wall to wall carpeting?????? Hellooo heard of tiling? The carpet just sucks up the moisture and adds to the muggy smell.

I think the US is the only country where in tropic climates people have carpeting.. just dont get it.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Mousefan, you are so right about the carpet......but they've got us hooked! Rather be damp and playing than dry and at home

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

There has been some discussion as to whether the room request faxes are even read. Count me in as one of the people that didn't receive a text when my room was ready. Glad to hear everything worked out for you.
SharonZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonZ View Post
There has been some discussion as to whether the room request faxes are even read. Count me in as one of the people that didn't receive a text when my room was ready. Glad to hear everything worked out for you.
Maybe it's a resort or carrier issue re: text messages . We stayed at Beach Club last June & again 2 weeks ago, both times we received text messages when our rooms were ready (same for OKW in October 2012). AT&T is our carrier. however I have read numerous post about not receiving text messages; maybe we're just lucky.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

We've always gotten our texts as well.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
FrenchSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post

the dampness, I know what you mean. And this is what baffles me about Florida, why in God's name do people in Florida have wall to wall carpeting?????? Hellooo heard of tiling? The carpet just sucks up the moisture and adds to the muggy smell.
I think the US is the only country where in tropic climates people have carpeting.. just dont get it.

FrenchSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
laurabythesea
Earning My Ears

As a Floridian I have to say that 1) I have tile. 2) It's not all carpets. I work for 4 hotels in the Keys, and our carpets are fine. BUT, when I stayed on property at Disney, DEFINITELY damp. Especially the Poly. Maybe it's the swampland?

Also, never had a problem with the texts. Still have them on my phone as far back as 2 years ago! And just booked POR today for September. Can't wait!
laurabythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
JVig
Mouseketeer

For those who didn't receive texts - did you do online checkin, and if you did - did you receive a text after you checked in?

I ask because I did my online check-in last week, and within a couple minutes received a confirmation text. And I'm hoping this indicates I won't have the same problem you had!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
delgrec
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVig View Post
For those who didn't receive texts - did you do online checkin, and if you did - did you receive a text after you checked in?

I ask because I did my online check-in last week, and within a couple minutes received a confirmation text. And I'm hoping this indicates I won't have the same problem you had!!!
I was wondering the same. I also received a confirmation text after online check in.
delgrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quick comment about texts--the only resort where I've had issues w/ (not) getting texts is POR, but my most recent visit there was 2 years ago.

As far as carpet in WDW hotels, most hotels use carpet as that is what most guests expect, bottles don't shatter when dropped and it is a noise dampener. (I used to inspect hotels.)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgrec View Post

I was wondering the same. I also received a confirmation text after online check in.
I've never received a text after completing my online check in on any of my last 3 trips......

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

No text received after doing the online check in either. It wouldn't of bothered be if I didn't have 2 extremely exhausted kids. I did know it could be 3 before we got the room but the 2.5 hours of being able to go and not knowing was not fun. BTW I have Virgin Mobile.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
JVig
Mouseketeer

Hmm. I'm splitting between POR and beach club, and received texts after online checkin for both!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: