Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #46
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch521 View Post
You truly blow me out of the water with your planning!! I love it ALL! Can't wait to read more, you have such amazing ideas!! Your girls are really going to love it.
Aww shucks...

You're to kind, tho I cannot take all the credit. I did my research and stole all these ideas, and just made them my own really!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #47
sweetpeaandevie
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpeaandevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: eastern north carolina
Posts: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denovagirl View Post
Aww shucks...

You're to kind, tho I cannot take all the credit. I did my research and stole all these ideas, and just made them my own really!
That's the best way to do it, In my opinion!!!!! Everything looks great! My mom has been buying a TON of stuff for our trip and keeps it all in a couple 31 bags. We are going to see her in August and I will bring all of that home (since we are driving to WDW and she is flying) I will take pics when I get it, although I don't know if there is a space big enough to lay it all out!!!!! hahahhaa
__________________
DH thinks I'm crazy, me (raina) a new disney addict, DD (8)sweetpea and DD (4)evie had their 1st trip and LOVED it!
sweetpeaandevie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #48
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just East of Toronto
Posts: 7,509

Wow....just wow.....when I look at all of your ideas (yes, I know you borrowed your ideas from others) . You've inspired me. My kids are a bit older, but still, I could make them some fun bags and they would love it.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #49
Saralew
Earning My Ears
 
Saralew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 69

Glad to see that there are other people out there planning to make it a special first time trip. I bought my children (dd2 and DS5) tshirts for each park from target and the Disney store (sale). I wish I had seen some of the DIY shirts because that would have been fun (next time). I have also started a box of goodies - coloring books, crayons, glow sticks, disney grab and go packets, plush stuff Mickey and minnie, doddle pads, and some other small stuff. My husband just laughs every time I write something new down or bring something home. He keeps reminding me that we have to fit everything in our suitcases.
Saralew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #50
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Wow....just wow.....when I look at all of your ideas (yes, I know you borrowed your ideas from others) . You've inspired me. My kids are a bit older, but still, I could make them some fun bags and they would love it.
I think older kids would still love the fun even if they don't really believe Mickey is leaving gifts for them! You could do things like Pins, accessories, and candy!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #51
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralew View Post
Glad to see that there are other people out there planning to make it a special first time trip. I bought my children (dd2 and DS5) tshirts for each park from target and the Disney store (sale). I wish I had seen some of the DIY shirts because that would have been fun (next time). I have also started a box of goodies - coloring books, crayons, glow sticks, disney grab and go packets, plush stuff Mickey and minnie, doddle pads, and some other small stuff. My husband just laughs every time I write something new down or bring something home. He keeps reminding me that we have to fit everything in our suitcases.
Haha, I don't think my hubby realizes just how much stuff I have ended up with! It'll be a shocker as he sees it all after the trip. And I purposely tried to pick small things for the goodie bags! However we are flying southwest and you get 2 free checked bags per person plus 1 carry on, so we plan to take basically an empty suitcase for souvenirs, lord knows I live to shop! Thankfully with having an assigned shirt each day there's really not many clothes to pack, just some shorts and pjs!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #52
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Around the World

Being a home schooling family, I simply have to take any opportunity to expand our minds when possible, including on our Disney trip!

One thing that I have always enjoyed is learning about cultures of different people. We actually hosted a foreign exchange student years back before we had kids of our own, and Aly, our foreign "son" is still part of our lives today! Olivia loves when his real mom and dad come to visit the USA and see us, and she knows all about his native country of Brazil. Also, living in Texas, she is very familiar with Mexico.

I figured another great opportunity would be the World Showcase! I am so excited to visit that part of the park, and it is one of the top 3 things I am looking forward too. I have, however, read tons of reviews and blogs of families who claim that it is the least kid friendly park. People actually just breeze through it because they have kids with them! Shocking!!!

I know there may not be any thrilling rides or anything, but I know there will be plenty to keep Olivia happy. We are the museum frequenting type of people who love opportunity to learn, and we especially love learning about the world.

So anyway, when thinking about this I decided that it would be nice for Olivia to at least have heard of the countries we will see represented, and hopefully know a little about each one. Then it hit me! We will study them briefly before we go! So what I came up with were some little worksheets we do where we color the flag (Olivia is obsessed with flags!) and see where the country is on a map, learn a few brief facts, and so some sort of craft project to go along. So far we have done about half of the countries, so we have more to go in this last month or so!

Here are the worksheets I made myself, I apologize for the AWFUL photos! I snapped them quickly with my phone from my computer, and they have the computer lines, but I just wanted to show you all an example of what we are doing!












Those are all that I have done so far. I usually do the next one up the night before we study that country. Like I said, I also try to do a small craft with each one. For example, when studying Morocco we looked at pictures online of Moroccan architecture and then colored tiles I had with permanent markers to resemble the beautiful tile work seen in Morocco. For Norway we made a troll out paper plates! Nothing super hard or anything, but my hope is that when she sees certain things it will trigger what she learned and she will in turn be more interested in seeing that country!

There ya have it! If you've done something to promote learning at Disney either before, during, or after your trip please let me know! I would love ideas! Also, if you are interested in the worksheets I made I will be happy to email them out once I complete all 11 countries. As long as you use them for your own personal use and don't distribute them please!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #53
disneygirl520
Disney: where everyone screams at the sight of a mouse.
 
disneygirl520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 20,670

Hi! Just want to let you know that I just found your PTR and am absolutely loving it! Your daughters are adorable, and you sound like you have an unforgettable trip ahead of you!
__________________
Heather
I will never stop believing in Disney magic.
disneygirl520 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #54
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl520 View Post
Hi! Just want to let you know that I just found your PTR and am absolutely loving it! Your daughters are adorable, and you sound like you have an unforgettable trip ahead of you!
Thanks!! I sure hope so!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #55
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran
 
Chicago Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 4,343

AWESOME!!!!!!


Everything you are doing is remarkable!!! Pixi dust does happen in the parks when you LEAST expect it! we received a HUGE sundae for NO REASON!!! I love Disney!! i have a huge report on that. Honestly Disney just does it right. PLEASE remember to relax int he park take your time walking around.. you will miss a lot that Disney has to offer.

May i suggest moleskin? for your feet and the blisters?? We used this a lot especially with my son. so we always bring two pairs of shoes?!?!
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #56
sweetpeaandevie
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpeaandevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: eastern north carolina
Posts: 766

worksheets

OMG!!! I LOVE THESE!!! I have never even thought about it, but this is a wonderful idea!!!! I was already planning on doing worksheets with different characters (mainly to make sure my 3y/o recognized everyone) but this takes it to a whole new level!!! I am sending you a pm with my email
__________________
DH thinks I'm crazy, me (raina) a new disney addict, DD (8)sweetpea and DD (4)evie had their 1st trip and LOVED it!
sweetpeaandevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
mch521
Mouseketeer
 
mch521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 108

Everyone told me my girls wouldn't enjoy Epcot because its more of an adult park when we were preparing for our first trip last year.....they were so WRONG! My girls were 6 & 7......that was their favorite park, they enjoyed the different countries, food & souvenirs from there. We actually allotted 2 days at Epcot this year & made it the first park we go to. They are super excited!
mch521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
AWESOME!!!!!!

Everything you are doing is remarkable!!! Pixi dust does happen in the parks when you LEAST expect it! we received a HUGE sundae for NO REASON!!! I love Disney!! i have a huge report on that. Honestly Disney just does it right. PLEASE remember to relax int he park take your time walking around.. you will miss a lot that Disney has to offer.

May i suggest moleskin? for your feet and the blisters?? We used this a lot especially with my son. so we always bring two pairs of shoes?!?!
Yes! I def need to remember to grab moleskin!! I found out the other day that my mom in law got a drs note, she recently just had knee surgery, and her dr knew about the upcoming trip and is worried for her. So more than likely we will have a guest assistance card, that should help with the relaxing because we won't have to worry about rushing to things. At least I hope...this is a flaw of mine, not taking time to smell the roses!! I will work on that!

I am gonna go check out your report, I can't wait to read about that sundae!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #59
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeaandevie View Post
OMG!!! I LOVE THESE!!! I have never even thought about it, but this is a wonderful idea!!!! I was already planning on doing worksheets with different characters (mainly to make sure my 3y/o recognized everyone) but this takes it to a whole new level!!! I am sending you a pm with my email
Glad you like!! They're pretty simple because Olivia is only 4, but you can always edit and change them yourself to fit with any age!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran
 
Denovagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch521 View Post
Everyone told me my girls wouldn't enjoy Epcot because its more of an adult park when we were preparing for our first trip last year.....they were so WRONG! My girls were 6 & 7......that was their favorite park, they enjoyed the different countries, food & souvenirs from there. We actually allotted 2 days at Epcot this year & made it the first park we go to. They are super excited!
Yay! I am glad to hear it! I wish I had 2 days here already...hope we get it all in!! I can't wait to shop in the world showcase most of all!!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: