Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Gearing up for The Mouse!

My favorite thing is doing anything Disney-related to gear up for the trip, so I thought I would share some things we have done!! I hope y’all like it!

Disney DVD Viewing Party!

Oh yes, we are those people! The day our DVD and customized maps came in the mail I was already texting the MIL to find out what night would work for a viewing party. I couldn’t resist though, and Olivia and I watched it that day! Then the hubby and I watched it that night….

Hahaha. I’m not even going to tell you how many times we have watched the “Ultimate Disney” series on Netflix….

This is a fun series to watch if you haven’t already! Seen it a MILLION times!

Anywho, on with the party. I had a little fun decorating! And shopping! I found these snazzy Mickey Mouse and Friends lanyards on EBay so I bought some for the whole group! Also, some pins for Olivia! I had fun wrapping the gifts for everyone! And the décor, mostly found on Pinterest, of course!

We ate lasagna with Mickey’s on top!

Needless to say the event got everyone pumped. We opened gifts, ate yummy food (I put the salad on one ear, and bread on another BTW…) and then viewed the Disney Planning DVD!

THE Countdown!

Of course, what Disney home wouldn’t have a proper Disney countdown!?!?

I really love those countdown chains, so adorable, however, at this point we were like 150 days out. No way Jose am I making 150 of those thingys! So that was out! I ended up deciding to make this-

The day we started counting down, and today! Yay!

A canvas and chalkboard paint is all ya need!

Other than these ideas we have just been doing the usual. Looking at tons of pics online, looking at youtube videos of character meets, rides, and such. Watching everything Disney we can get our hands on! Then, myself, I have been discussing Disney with anyone who will listen. Reading blog after blog after blog and TR after TR after TR!! I love it! I feel like an expert even though I have never been!!

[Side note: I have been to Disneyland one time!! I was very young, probably 4 or 5. My mom took me. I remember bits and pieces clearly, such as riding the teacups and the Haunted Mansion!]

If y’all have more ideas for me, or questions, let me know! Ya know I love to hear it!!!
Denovagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #32
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Oh no....I assumed you already had the dessert party Yeah, they sell out FAST. I honestly am surprised there was any openings a couple days ago.

Well, there are lots of other options....you guys could come over to the Poly and watch Wishes from the beach. They pipe the music in so you still hear the narrative.

And like you said, there's always hope that someone will cancel. I've even heard that it is possible to walk up that night and grab a no-show spot. You never know!
You know just how to make me feel better! But viewing from the Poly is a nice option, and you don't have to fight the crowds!! Liking that!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #33
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

I followed you over from my PTR and yours looks great! Your DD's are so adorable, I know they will have a great time.
I LOVE your shirts! I was just looking at the patriotic mickey head tee on Old Navy.com this afternoon and thinking I need that!

Your plans look awesome, I can tell you have been doing your research! I know you are bummed about the dessert party, but your trip will be so amazing and magical you won't even miss it! I second the watching the fireworks from the poly suggestion. We did that and that was why we wanted to stay there so bad. Plus you can get a dole whip to enjoy while you watch. That will be very magical. And you never know, the party could open up.

We don't do very many QS, but Flame Tree BBQ is our favorite out of all the parks. As far as QS in Epcot we will to do WS. Sunshine seasons looks good, but I can't pass up WS. We like Mexico, UK, and Germany the best.

And, just a side note, is that an STL cards cap I see your DH wearing? If so good choice!

Previous trip report: This is Literally the Best Trip Ever!

Currently no ticker maybe next year!
Jackiemarie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #34
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

I love the viewing party! That is awesome!

And your countdown calendar is magnificant! I really love it!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
sweetpeaandevie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denovagirl View Post
Soul mates! Yay!

Where is your PTR? You should do one!
Well, I am thinking about doing one but I am ridiculously bad at computers....I just added texting to my phone like 6 months ago (old phone not smart phone....just not there yet ) I just feel like I will have a hard time with the pictures and all . Plus we are still so far out, I'm not sure I can keep peoples attention that long hahahahaha

I love the viewing party! We watch stuff so often that my 7 year old has asked me to stop because "mommy, it makes me sad to watch because I want to go right now! (said with puppy dog eyes)" hahaha another disney freak in the making
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #36
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemarie21 View Post
I followed you over from my PTR and yours looks great! Your DD's are so adorable, I know they will have a great time.
I LOVE your shirts! I was just looking at the patriotic mickey head tee on Old Navy.com this afternoon and thinking I need that!

Your plans look awesome, I can tell you have been doing your research! I know you are bummed about the dessert party, but your trip will be so amazing and magical you won't even miss it! I second the watching the fireworks from the poly suggestion. We did that and that was why we wanted to stay there so bad. Plus you can get a dole whip to enjoy while you watch. That will be very magical. And you never know, the party could open up.

We don't do very many QS, but Flame Tree BBQ is our favorite out of all the parks. As far as QS in Epcot we will to do WS. Sunshine seasons looks good, but I can't pass up WS. We like Mexico, UK, and Germany the best.

And, just a side note, is that an STL cards cap I see your DH wearing? If so good choice!
Yes it's a cards hat! Haha- I used to line in STL! So we have a soft spot, however he pro a Lu owns like every team hat available, he's just a baseball fan in general, but that hat gets worn quite often!

FYI- the Mickey old navy shirt is so soft and awesome, love it!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeaandevie View Post

Well, I am thinking about doing one but I am ridiculously bad at computers....I just added texting to my phone like 6 months ago (old phone not smart phone....just not there yet ) I just feel like I will have a hard time with the pictures and all . Plus we are still so far out, I'm not sure I can keep peoples attention that long hahahahaha

I love the viewing party! We watch stuff so often that my 7 year old has asked me to stop because "mommy, it makes me sad to watch because I want to go right now! (said with puppy dog eyes)" hahaha another disney freak in the making
I understand! I'm computer savy and it took me some effort to do as well!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I love the viewing party! That is awesome!

And your countdown calendar is magnificant! I really love it!

D~
Thanks!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #39
babynala
DIS Veteran

[Hi! Your girls are so adorable. We took our kids on their first trip when they were 4 and 1 and we had such a great time. My DS (1) enjoyed the characters and all the rides (he was too young to be scared).

Planning for a "long" time is a great way to make the trip last longer. All the planning and prep is part of the fun.

Love all your shirts. The bleach ones are so cool. I love that everyone will be coordinating.

Quote:
What time does your flight land?? How many hours behind are you? 2:40 in TX is what...4:40 in FL? Then getting off the plane, 45 min ride to WDW (possible wait for the bus to get full first). Are you taking advantage of the Magical Express luggage service? That is so awesome! It is such a pleasure to just get off the plane and make your way down to the MagicalExpress without bags in tow.
Do you live close to the airport? I'm already nervous that you will not have enough time. LOL. Of course I always feel the need to get to the airport 2 hours before my flight departure time (as suggested by the TSA). Yes, I am a little paranoid. I think trying to get to DTD on your arrival night might be too much. After you have been at the parks you might decide you don't need to go to DTD.

Quote:
Columbia Harbor House is very good in Liberty Square/Fantasyland area. Pecos Bills is yummy in Frontierland. And Cosmic Rays is good in Tomorrowland. Or, if you are ready for a little break at that point, you can always eat at one of the monorail resorts QS. The Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary is neat with the monorail gliding by overhead, and the kids might get a glimpse of Mickey & Pals from Chef Mickeys...it is all open in there. My favorite...the Poly...has Captain Cooks for yummy tropical options. And if you want the princess feeling...the Grand Floridian has Gaspirilla Grill. Never been there, but the menu looks yummy. It is a welcome break from the parks if the girls are getting restless.
Great choices. We ate at the QS at Grand Floridian and enjoyed it. We also enjoy Pinochiohaus in Fantasyland.

Quote:
Oh my gosh you will LOVE this! I remember that show from way back in the day. And the cornbread.....YUM! Can I make a suggestion here too...take the bus from AoA to MK, then a boat over to Ft Wilderness. If you take a bus, it lets you off at the opposite end of the campground and you have to take another internal bus to Pioneer Hall. The boat drops you off right near the Hall. And it is a gorgeous ride over. You get to see the Contemporary from a great angle and sneak a peak at the gorgeous Wilderness Lodge.
That sounds like a great night. Hoop Dee Do is so much fun.
Suzi - you are on top of it, great tip about the boat ride.

Quote:
Sunshine Seasons is awesome! And free drink refills They have a great breakfast too...I try to eat there at least once each trip because I just love love love their breakfast panini. I don't even think it's on the menu, but it is soooo good.
I agree. We always eat at Sunshine Seasons - lots of choices. Plus, we are usually at Soarin' around lunch time so it fits our schedule. I find some of the QS choices in world showcase taste a little like mall food court

Quote:
I am so excited for you! That is why I am happy to have a newbie along with me this trip again....I just love seeing WDW through their eyes. There is nothing quite like that first view of the castle. Ahhhhhhh
Suzi has some great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denovagirl View Post
I have awful news. Just awful. I am torn up about it and need your support.

The Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party IS SOLD OUT! {SOB}

I actually had my spot all set to go a couple days ago, like literally 2, and I had to hold off to today to do them for financial reasons. Well, they were gone! I tried ALL 3 DAYS that we will be in MK...all gone.

I should have known better. I know, I know, I know. Makes me sick. My only hope is at the 45 day mark that someone will have to cancel their trip and their ADR.....so get out your prayer mats people and send up good thoughts to Ole' Walt that I end up with a miracle and get my wish.

I really wanted to end my trip like this, and it was literally the only detail that could have gone wrong and that wasn't already taken care of. So naturally.... but I am trying to keep my spirits high. I will continue to check the web EVERYDAY for a spot and be sure to mark 45 days away in my phone. Here's hoping.

In the meantime, is there any other super special, amazingly awesome, spot for fireworks viewing in MK? Let me have it y'all!

Update coming SOON, possibly tonight. I am working on it!
So bummed for you. Maybe someone will cancel but I like Suzi's suggestion for the Poly beach. We have never done that but when I was with my brother we caught the fireworks from the Ferry to the TTC, when we got to the dock they were playing the "music" for the fireworks. It was nice to be away from the crowds (this worked for us too because my nephew doesn't like the noise of the actual fireworks). So I am sure the beach would be a wonderful place to watch the fireworks.

Your DVD Viewing party looks like so much fun. Love the plates and the custom lasagna. How nice that everyone got little gifts too. So many cute details. I think you have everything all figured out for your trip. For my DDs first trip to BBB I made an invitation from the princesses that was delivered by "Tinker Bell" the day of her appt. Of course I had to do this for her other visits to BBB. She has told some of those non-planning moms who couldn't get into BBB "you have to get an invitation to go to BBB". The moms gave me a strange look and I just shrugged my shoulders. I also did pirate map looking "invites" when the kids did Pirates League.

I'm headed over to check out your Pinterest page now (I'll be back in about 2 days...) Then I will head over to Netflix to see the Ultimate Disney shows.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #40
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
[Hi! Your girls are so adorable. We took our kids on their first trip when they were 4 and 1 and we had such a great time. My DS (1) enjoyed the characters and all the rides (he was too young to be scared).

Planning for a "long" time is a great way to make the trip last longer. All the planning and prep is part of the fun.

Love all your shirts. The bleach ones are so cool. I love that everyone will be coordinating.

Do you live close to the airport? I'm already nervous that you will not have enough time. LOL. Of course I always feel the need to get to the airport 2 hours before my flight departure time (as suggested by the TSA). Yes, I am a little paranoid. I think trying to get to DTD on your arrival night might be too much. After you have been at the parks you might decide you don't need to go to DTD.

Great choices. We ate at the QS at Grand Floridian and enjoyed it. We also enjoy Pinochiohaus in Fantasyland.

That sounds like a great night. Hoop Dee Do is so much fun.
Suzi - you are on top of it, great tip about the boat ride.

I agree. We always eat at Sunshine Seasons - lots of choices. Plus, we are usually at Soarin' around lunch time so it fits our schedule. I find some of the QS choices in world showcase taste a little like mall food court

Suzi has some great advice!

So bummed for you. Maybe someone will cancel but I like Suzi's suggestion for the Poly beach. We have never done that but when I was with my brother we caught the fireworks from the Ferry to the TTC, when we got to the dock they were playing the "music" for the fireworks. It was nice to be away from the crowds (this worked for us too because my nephew doesn't like the noise of the actual fireworks). So I am sure the beach would be a wonderful place to watch the fireworks.

Your DVD Viewing party looks like so much fun. Love the plates and the custom lasagna. How nice that everyone got little gifts too. So many cute details. I think you have everything all figured out for your trip. For my DDs first trip to BBB I made an invitation from the princesses that was delivered by "Tinker Bell" the day of her appt. Of course I had to do this for her other visits to BBB. She has told some of those non-planning moms who couldn't get into BBB "you have to get an invitation to go to BBB". The moms gave me a strange look and I just shrugged my shoulders. I also did pirate map looking "invites" when the kids did Pirates League.

I'm headed over to check out your Pinterest page now (I'll be back in about 2 days...) Then I will head over to Netflix to see the Ultimate Disney shows.
Hehe, we live about 45 min from the airport but well already be in SA at families house to leave our car and they will drop us off, they live about 5 min away! I will get there early tho!!

I made some "Mickey mail" for each day and have small gifts for the girls!! I can't wait to do a post in that!

Thanks for all the advice! I am getting so pumped!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #41
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

WOW! you really are a Planner! WTG!!! Your Daughters are BEAUTIFUL!!! your whole family is gorgeous! i am SO excited for you!!!

I didn't read everything. (my turn to be a slacker)
I know Suzi is ON TOP of her game. And D? well you have it all..

My suggestions on food:
MK QS is Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe There is a TON of food for your $$
Of course TUSKER HOUSE for breakfast in AK!!!
i didn't see you doing Aksherush or how ever you spell it for the princess?!?
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #42
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Pixie Dust

When I first started reading blogs to get advice and gear up for The World I fell in love with what is commonly referred to as “Pixie Dust.” I have formed my own definition based on the varying types I have found…

Pixie Dust (piks-e duh-st): Any extras that are done, made, or given to someone to enhance the magic of their Disney Trip.

Teehee. Anyhow, of course, I HAD to do this. After all, it is our first trip and I am one of those people anyway, so this just made perfect sense to me!!!

So here is what I have cooked up thus far…

Welcome gifts y’all!!!

I did look online at the ones that can be ordered and sent directly to your room, and while I loved them, it was definitely sticker shock. Even if I end up spending that much on my own (which I didn’t) I prefer to grab things here and there as I find them on sale and what-not. Here is what is in Maddie’s (1 yr old)

Plush Mickey (Disney Store on SALE)
Mickey Light Up/Fan Toy (Disney Outlet Store)
Minnie Swim Suit (Disney Store on SALE)
Mickey Chalk Board (Dollar Tree)
Mickey Nightlight (Dollar Tree)
Princess Tissues (Dollar Tree, pack of 8)
Minnie Water Squirter (Dollar Tree)

Olivia’s (4 yrs old)…

Plush Mickey (Disney Store on SALE)
Mickey Light Up/Fan Toy (Disney Outlet Store)
Minnie Swim Suit (Disney Store on SALE)
Minnie Goggles (Dollar Tree)
Minnie Water Squirter (Dollar Tree)
Mickey Ear Hat (Bought at a Yard Sale for 25 cents!!! I plan to buy everyone elses at Disney and get them all monogramed)
Mickey & Minnie Pez Dispenser Set (Wal Mart)
Personalized Autograph Book with Polka Dot Carrying Purse & Pen (In the package, bought on Etsy)
‘Polite as a Princess’ & ‘If I Met Snow White’ books, to get autographs at the Cindrella’s Royal Table Dinner (Half Price Books, perfect condition, and thought it would be a cute keepsake and hopefully we won’t get duplicate autographs in the actual autograph book, as it will be for in the parks, and this will be used at the character meal only!)

I also purchased those cellophane bags to wrap the baskets in, but will put them on at the resort, as I don’t want to have to remove them if security needs to poke around, because these will be taken in my carry-on, ensuring I have it at arrival of our resort. I plan to check in and have the hubs walk the girls around to tour the resort for a short bit while I run to the room and get everything ready for their entrance!

The Family Welcome Bag!

I had some cute random items that I didn’t want to put in the welcome bags, because they didn’t really go with the theme, and they were too big, etc…. so I decided this will be in the room for the whole family to enjoy!

Included is:
The Mickey & Minnie Insulated Bag for snacks and drinks (Disney Store on SALE)
2 Adorable Hooded Towels (K Mart online)
2 Disney Wash Rags (Dollar Tree)
Princess Umbrella (Wal Mart Clearance)
Also- not pictured, but I have several items in my Disney Box (more on that in a later post) that will be in here that we will need and want, like hand held fans, disposable bibs (Princess of course), dry erase board for the room, and glow sticks!

Mickey Mail!

One small bag of goodies for both girls, to be left out for them each morning of our trip. I have them labeled on the bottom to know which day to give them which one. I will have to keep these VERY hidden!! Along with these, I also made some adorable letters from different characters for each girl to read in the morning that hints at our day’s activities. I also have a welcome letter, and a goodbye one.

Each bag contains small dollar items found mainly at Dollar Tree, Michaels, Wal Mart and Party City! Oh, and the adorable safari hats found at Dollar Tree that I plan to hot glue adorable bows to, just for fun on our Animal Kingdom day, though I doubt they will leave them on long!

Travel Bags!

These are gifts from us to the girls on our trip up to Disney. Just some fun things to keep them busy in the airport and on the plane. Mainly dollar items again, and I plan to add some snacks.

So there you have it, Pixie Dust- done and done!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #43
mch521
Mouseketeer

You truly blow me out of the water with your planning!! I love it ALL! Can't wait to read more, you have such amazing ideas!! Your girls are really going to love it.
mch521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

The Box

Okay, so I started accumulating things for our Disney trip months ago, and slowly these things started gathering all throughout the house. Stuff was everywhere and I began to worry I would lose things, enter The Box!

The Box is kept in my room, and as I buy things or come across something for our trip I throw it in! Simple! When I go to pack I just have to grab it and those little items will be in one place! So here it is ladies and gentlemen, The Box!

Here are some close ups of what I have in there…

Mini Minnie (hehehe) backpack (Wal Mart)
Princess disposable bibs (Wal Mart)
Minnie Tupperware Containers (Dollar Tree- I plan to put snacks in there for the plane)
Mickey Décor, for the room (Wal Mart Clearance)
Pins (Ebay)

Cellophane Bags for the Welcome Baskets (Dollar Tree)
Hand Held Fans (Dollar Tree- yes they do work good!!)
Glow Sticks (Dollar Tree)
Minnie Button (Birthday gift)
Bubble Bath (Target Dollar Spot)
Dish Liquid, for our cups (Target Dollar Spot)

Minnie Dry Erase Board for room (Wal Mart)
Minnie Sippy Cups (Wal Mart)
Pop Up Hampers for dirty clothes, I hate a messy room! (Dollar Tree)

Minnie Candies (Wal Mart)
Minnie Flip Flops, Olivia is very hard on flip flops, otherwise she could have them now (Disney Store on SALE)
Clickable Sharpies (Wal Mart)

The Box!! Do you have a box? What’s in yours??

[Side Note: Also in my pin bag are these two adorable Cinderella’s Carriage Pearl Cage Necklaces, bought on Ebay for $5 each, to be used at the Japan Pavilion in Epcot at the Pick a Pearl station!]

Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
Denovagirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
WOW! you really are a Planner! WTG!!! Your Daughters are BEAUTIFUL!!! your whole family is gorgeous! i am SO excited for you!!!

I didn't read everything. (my turn to be a slacker)
I know Suzi is ON TOP of her game. And D? well you have it all..

My suggestions on food:
MK QS is Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe There is a TON of food for your $$
Of course TUSKER HOUSE for breakfast in AK!!!
i didn't see you doing Aksherush or how ever you spell it for the princess?!?
Why thank you! Thanks also for the dining suggestions, as for the Akershus, no, not dining there this trip. I have read a lot of reviews and I am sure it probably is the superior Princess dining, but on our first visit we decided to go with the Cinderella Castle, my daughter just HAD to eat in the castle, haha. And we had far too many places we wanted to try to do two princess meals. Honestly, I don't really savor the idea of the whole character meal. Seems like a lot of interruptions, I prefer to eat and visit without having to stop and take photos and such....but I do like seeing all the characters without the lines, so I guess its a trade off. We ended up with just 2 character meals in the end, and I am pretty happy with that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: