Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
AC7179
DIS Veteran

Do you need any documentation to fly with a lap baby?

Birth certificate or anything?
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

I think it depends on the airline. We usually flew SW when DD was younger and always had a copy of her BC when we traveled.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
bcla
DIS Veteran

Most require some form of documentation to prove a child is under 2. Southwest was mentioned. They ask for a birth certificate (I've heard a photocopy usually works) but in reality any government issued ID will work. My wife took our kid using a passport card flying Southwest. A non driver license state ID or regular passport should work too.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...board-pol.html

If a seat is purchased for the child, ID won't be required. Even so, since our kid has a passport we've shown it at security even though it's not strictly needed.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Bring the birth certificate for a lap baby. You have to prove age for an age-based fare, even if that "fare" is free.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Bring the birth certificate for a lap baby. You have to prove age for an age-based fare, even if that "fare" is free.
Technically there is no fare or reservation needed for a lap infant for any domestic flight, but different airlines have different policies. Southwest only notes that they require that the parent must go to the airport counter to get a "boarding verification document" to present to security and the aircraft crew. The FAA requires that lap infants must be under 2, and there's no way around the requirement for proof of age.

Jet Blue has a different policy. The require that the intent to bring a lap infant be called in, must check in at the ticket counter, and that they may be asked for some proof of age.

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN...=obj%281939%29
Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Epek
Mouseketeer

We've flown Jet Blue, United, American, and either US Airways or Continental with a lap baby and have never been asked for any proof of ID or age. Even when he was 18 months old. I can't remember which, but a few if the airlines printed him his own boarding pass, so they asked to see him when we checked in, but that's all. We still brought a copy of his birth certificate, just in case.
Epek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epek View Post
We've flown Jet Blue, United, American, and either US Airways or Continental with a lap baby and have never been asked for any proof of ID or age. Even when he was 18 months old. I can't remember which, but a few if the airlines printed him his own boarding pass, so they asked to see him when we checked in, but that's all. We still brought a copy of his birth certificate, just in case.
Jet Blue says that they may ask for ID.

Quote:
Customers traveling with a lap child could be asked for proof of age, such as a passport, birth certificate (copies are acceptable for domestic travel) or an immunization record when the infant's age is questionable. Infants between three and 14 days old must also have, in the form of a letter, their doctor's approval to travel.

Infants must be traveling with an adult customer at least 14 years or older, and the infant must sit on the adult's lap during takeoff and landing.
Maybe I should modify my previous statement. The FAA has rules that lap infants must be under 2, but it's up to the airline on how it will enforce it. United and American actually don't say anything about proof of age. Southwest makes everyone demonstrate proof of age.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

I would hope that proper i.d. would always be required for very young children, for safety and security issues for the child. After all how does anyone really know that you are the proper legal guardian or other designated adult? I know there are stories in the past of flight attendants not being so sure of this sort of thing, long ago before regulations and policies were either changed, or created.
If I was ever to see anything questionable, I don't care what it is on an airline, even if it is but a puddle jumper, I will open my mouth at the appropriate time.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
ahsquared
Mouseketeer

We've never had to provide any I'd for our daughter and we have flown with her as a lap baby and in her own seat. At. 9 and 14 months.
ahsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
travelbug08
Earning My Ears

When we flew Alaska with our 11 month old, we had her passport, but nobody ever looked at it going to or from. In fact, when I called to add the lap infant to our online booking, the CS agent said I didn't need a birth certificate for her. I was so surprised as I expected them to want proof of both her identity and that she was traveling with her parents (or had parental permission).
travelbug08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Angela72181
Mouseketeer

We are flying Southwest in less than a month. I called in to add my 17 month old to the reservation and she said that I would need to bring a copy of the birth certificate which has already been placed with our travel documents

We flew Spirit last December and took the certificate with us but they never asked for it.

My theory is to take it and be more prepared than unprepared at the airport.
Angela72181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela72181 View Post
We are flying Southwest in less than a month. I called in to add my 17 month old to the reservation and she said that I would need to bring a copy of the birth certificate which has already been placed with our travel documents

We flew Spirit last December and took the certificate with us but they never asked for it.

My theory is to take it and be more prepared than unprepared at the airport.
Southwest is explicit that they don't require a reservation or call in for the lap infant, but that they will ask for proof of age. Other airlines indicate that they may ask for proof of age, while others only require that the guardian attest to the child's age. The key is to check the airline's policies. I remember what it was like 20 years ago before airlines had extensive websites.

The one common denominator is that the child will need to check in at the ticket counter to get a boarding document. If you still want online checkin, it's still perfectly OK to purchase a regular fare for the child, and none of the ID requirements will apply.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Echoing what was already said, but Southwest does require proof of age for a lap child. We've always used a birth certificate, but I know state issued IDs, passports & immunization records (I believe) would work also.

Upcoming: Oct 16-19 (DLH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Briarrose1306
Mouseketeer

This seems to have been sufficiently answered but I'm going to chime in anyways. My DBFF recently flew with me to DL on SW and while they usually don't ask for verification (per her experience) this time they did. They wanted a birth certificate to prove she was under 2, as DBFF didn't have it with her, they made her pay for a ticket. Luckily, once she got back and sent them a copy of the birth certificate they refunded her. Better safe than sorry, take a birth certificate.
Disneyland - BW Anaheim October 2013 Little Brother's Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Anaheim June/July 2013 First Solo Trip
Disneyland - DLH April/May 2013 Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's Christmas 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's October 2012 Little Brother's Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's July 2012 First Disney Trip with Boyfriend
Disneyland - BW Stovall's & Anaheim Valentine's 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Anaheim December 2011 Brother/Sister Trip
Disneyland - BWPPI May 2011 Father/Daughter Trip - The Beginning of the Annual Passport
14 Disneyland Trips between 1984-2010
Briarrose1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

If you are flying from Canada you need a NOTARISED permission letter to take kids under 18 without their other parent. (Or death certificate if that's your situation)
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: