Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Pin Collecting

I bought a lot of 20 pins from amazon. How can I make sure that these pins are indeed tradeable?

bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

There is no sure fire way to tell if the pins you bought are authentic, but as long as they are not-damaged and have the Disney copy right on the back, they should be tradeable. You can find more information about how to trade (i.e., guidelines) and more details on what are tradeable pins:

http://disney.go.com/eventservices/howtopintrade.pdf

Many pins that folks buy in lots (either via eBay or other online retailers) tend to contain some "scrappers". These often look very close to the original (real) version of the pin and unless you have both in hand, it's pretty hard to tell. There is a big debate on the Disboards about scrappers. Some folks hate them and hate folks who trade them; others don't care.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
There is no sure fire way to tell if the pins you bought are authentic, but as long as they are not-damaged and have the Disney copy right on the back, they should be tradeable. You can find more information about how to trade (i.e., guidelines) and more details on what are tradeable pins:

http://disney.go.com/eventservices/howtopintrade.pdf

Many pins that folks buy in lots (either via eBay or other online retailers) tend to contain some "scrappers". These often look very close to the original (real) version of the pin and unless you have both in hand, it's pretty hard to tell. There is a big debate on the Disboards about scrappers. Some folks hate them and hate folks who trade them; others don't care.
Ok thanks. To me, they don't look damaged but I'm not looking at them with a magnifying glass and I believe they do have the Disney copyright on the backs. Sorry to sound stupid, but what's a scrapper?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, but what's a scrapper?
You can read a description from Dizpins.com:
http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

Basically a scrapper is a pin that looks legitimate, but is not. It can be a factory overrun (i.e., the factory was contracted to make 1 million, but they made 1.1 million instead) or a pin that has some kind of error that should have been "scrapped". You'll often be able to tell a scrapper because the colors are weird/off or the back stamp (the copy right) is wrong/missing/damaged. Others say you can tell because they feel "rough" or the edges are sharp/pronounced. Sadly, there is no sure fire way to tell a scrapper.

The general rule of thumb is that you buy a "lot" of pins (e.g., 25-pins) for less than a couple of dollars each, you're likely buying scrappers. Also, if you buy pins that come in little baggies (instead of pin cards like the ones you see at the stores in WDW/DLR), those are more likely to be scrappers as well. So, unless you only buy from Disney directly, it is hard to say whether you'll get scrappers or not.

It's worth noting that if you do end up trading with CM, the CM lanyards tend to be filled with scrappers. So if you really dislike scrappers, I would avoid trading with CMs. That's the crux of the argument: those that dislike scrappers feel they cheapen the trading and make it not worthwhile. Those that don't care, tend to say that they like the pin, so it doesn't really matter if it's a scrapper or not (they also say that if you can't tell, does it really matter?).
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You can read a description from Dizpins.com:
http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

Basically a scrapper is a pin that looks legitimate, but is not. It can be a factory overrun (i.e., the factory was contracted to make 1 million, but they made 1.1 million instead) or a pin that has some kind of error that should have been "scrapped". You'll often be able to tell a scrapper because the colors are weird/off or the back stamp (the copy right) is wrong/missing/damaged. Others say you can tell because they feel "rough" or the edges are sharp/pronounced. Sadly, there is no sure fire way to tell a scrapper.

The general rule of thumb is that you buy a "lot" of pins (e.g., 25-pins) for less than a couple of dollars each, you're likely buying scrappers. Also, if you buy pins that come in little baggies (instead of pin cards like the ones you see at the stores in WDW/DLR), those are more likely to be scrappers as well. So, unless you only buy from Disney directly, it is hard to say whether you'll get scrappers or not.

It's worth noting that if you do end up trading with CM, the CM lanyards tend to be filled with scrappers. So if you really dislike scrappers, I would avoid trading with CMs. That's the crux of the argument: those that dislike scrappers feel they cheapen the trading and make it not worthwhile. Those that don't care, tend to say that they like the pin, so it doesn't really matter if it's a scrapper or not (they also say that if you can't tell, does it really matter?).
Wow! Thanks so much for this info. If you don't trade with a CM because you don't want scrappers, aren't you then forced to buy pins? It can be a pretty expensive hobby! I can't see any other way to collect pins - either you trade or you buy. Or am I missing something?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much for this info. If you don't trade with a CM because you don't want scrappers, aren't you then forced to buy pins? It can be a pretty expensive hobby! I can't see any other way to collect pins - either you trade or you buy. Or am I missing something?
Well, you can buy pins once you get to WDW or from the DisneyStore.com (those usually run between $8 and $15), and those are rarely available for trade anyway. I generally buy several pins when I'm at WDW because they're either commemorating an event (e.g., Food & Wine festival) or have my favorite character on it. I also do trading...entirely with CMs. So I have lots of scrappers in my collection and I know that, but because I liked the pin and didn't trade with the intention of making money, I'm okay with the scrappers.

Regarding trading: there are non-CM pin traders hang around the parks and DTD, but approach them with caution. They are some nice/honest ones, but I've not run across very many. For most of them, this is business. If you find one that will trade your pin for their's, that's probably fine. If they ask you go buy a pin for them, I'd walk away. They typically won't trade if they think you have a scrapper. They also don't have to follow the guideline (i.e., they can refuse to trade, they can ask for more than one pin from you, etc.).

Ultimately, you have to decide if you think scrappers would bother you. I trade for fun and I don't let scrappers bother me. If I did, then I probably wouldn't trade at all because 9 times out of 10, the pin on the CM lanyard is a scrapper. The only time that might not be case is right when a new set of CM pins is released and scrappers haven't made it to market yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, you can buy pins once you get to WDW or from the DisneyStore.com (those usually run between $8 and $15), and those are rarely available for trade anyway. I generally buy several pins when I'm at WDW because they're either commemorating an event (e.g., Food & Wine festival) or have my favorite character on it. I also do trading...entirely with CMs. So I have lots of scrappers in my collection and I know that, but because I liked the pin and didn't trade with the intention of making money, I'm okay with the scrappers.

Regarding trading: there are non-CM pin traders hang around the parks and DTD, but approach them with caution. They are some nice/honest ones, but I've not run across very many. For most of them, this is business. If you find one that will trade your pin for their's, that's probably fine. If they ask you go buy a pin for them, I'd walk away. They typically won't trade if they think you have a scrapper. They also don't have to follow the guideline (i.e., they can refuse to trade, they can ask for more than one pin from you, etc.).

Ultimately, you have to decide if you think scrappers would bother you. I trade for fun and I don't let scrappers bother me. If I did, then I probably wouldn't trade at all because 9 times out of 10, the pin on the CM lanyard is a scrapper. The only time that might not be case is right when a new set of CM pins is released and scrappers haven't made it to market yet.
That's crazy!! I actually didn't know that people collect for the purpose of making money. I, too, collect just for fun. How does one distinguish a non-CM pin trader from just an average guest who trades pins with CMs?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's crazy!! I actually didn't know that people collect for the purpose of making money. I, too, collect just for fun. How does one distinguish a non-CM pin trader from just an average guest who trades pins with CMs?
For the most part, the "professional" traders have big pin books/bags that they display on tables or benches for others to look at. They're usually close the main pin store in the park, but lately I've only noticed them at Epcot (tables by the pin station) and at DTD. I don't recall seeing them at AK or DHS or MK in March. Once you've seen the amount of pin books/bags they're carrying, you'll be able to tell. The average guest isn't going to want to lug around a pin book/bag while on vacation!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Swissdog2010
DDC 677

Like anything else it's your choice to go big or go small. My wife has a large collection of pins that she displays on some boards i made for her out of ceiling tiles and black cloth in her 'disney' room. I have a much smaller collection and i do trading on a small scale looking for just a couple of different groupings. I made myself a small pin pad similar to what the CMs wear to display their pins and keep my eye open for just those particular ones i want. Keeps the cost reasonable and makes the number of trading pins i carry small.
DisDad Member #677 Hooahh!

[1996---Off Property,2004---OKW, 2005---OKW,
2006---OKW/SSR,2007---OKW/SSR 2008---OKW/SSR
2009---SSR/SSR,2010---OKW/SSR,2011---OKW/SSR
2012---OKW/SSR, 2013---OKW/OKW, 2014---SSR/SSR, 2015---SSR
Swissdog2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
For the most part, the "professional" traders have big pin books/bags that they display on tables or benches for others to look at. They're usually close the main pin store in the park, but lately I've only noticed them at Epcot (tables by the pin station) and at DTD. I don't recall seeing them at AK or DHS or MK in March. Once you've seen the amount of pin books/bags they're carrying, you'll be able to tell. The average guest isn't going to want to lug around a pin book/bag while on vacation!
Oh ok. Now I'm going to see if I see any people like that on my next trip! So true! I deliberately leave the ones that I want to keep at home so that no one can ask me to trade my favorites plus I take pictures on my phone of the ones that I have at home so that I don't accidentally get any repeats. Who wants to carry extra unnecessary things when you're at the parks??

Old 06-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissdog2010 View Post
Like anything else it's your choice to go big or go small. My wife has a large collection of pins that she displays on some boards i made for her out of ceiling tiles and black cloth in her 'disney' room. I have a much smaller collection and i do trading on a small scale looking for just a couple of different groupings. I made myself a small pin pad similar to what the CMs wear to display their pins and keep my eye open for just those particular ones i want. Keeps the cost reasonable and makes the number of trading pins i carry small.
Thanks! I actually bought a Disney scrapbook and plan on using it to store my pins. Much nicer than leaving them in a ziplock baggy in my drawer!

Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
mafpi
Mouseketeer

If it is a disney pin they will trade with you. Like op said most cm pins lanyards are full of scrapers. So it doesn't bother me at all whether I have, trade or buy scrapers. I look for the bet deal I can get and have fun. So don't worry about what's a scrapper, where do I buy, red ebayer or green ebayer. Just go have fun.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafpi View Post
If it is a disney pin they will trade with you. Like op said most cm pins lanyards are full of scrapers. So it doesn't bother me at all whether I have, trade or buy scrapers. I look for the bet deal I can get and have fun. So don't worry about what's a scrapper, where do I buy, red ebayer or green ebayer. Just go have fun.
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: