Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #31
kimf503
Earning My Ears

My 9yr old girl would have stayed all day if we let her, same for my 16yr old son. We gave them the option of coming to dinner and they came every night because they wanted to. It was nice to let them have some freedom in a safe place.
kimf503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #32
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Our DD13 spent 6-10 hours per day in Edge -- she loved it there! But, she is the type of girl who is all about her friends and would probably move out to her new apartment right now if we let her, so she was fine to eat very late breakfast with us then be off! She came to the show and dinner with us then would be back with her friends.

Our DD9 spent probably 2-3 hours total in Club/Lab, broken into smaller portions. She had fun when her little friend she met onboard would be there at the same time but not so much when she was there solo.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm not a big fan of the 3-12 age for these clubs -- too large of an age span. We probably won't cruise again until 2015 when our DD will be 11yo so that she can go into Edge.
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
dbenlee
DIS Veteran

Ever since our first Disney cruise, our DS (now 14), will spend every second in the clubs that we allow. He comes out at dinner time because we insist that he have dinner with us in the MDR. The only time he skips dessert at dinner, he rushes back to the club as soon as he can. He absolutely loves the friends he makes and the vacation from Mom and Dad. Of course, if we are going to do something really cool and fun he's torn between the club and our activity.
June 2004 * Wilderness Lodge (sons first visit) --- June 2005 * Wilderness Lodge --- June 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- November 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- May/June 2007 * Yacht Club --- June 2008 Land & Sea * Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian and Disney Wonder 3 nights --- December 5, 2008 * Beach Club Resort --- ]une 13, 2009 * Disney Magic 7 nights --- June 4 to 18, 2010 * Bay Lake Towers --- June 12 to 17, 2011 * Disney Dream --- December 16-20, 2011 * Bay Lake Towers --- May 31 to June 11 2012 * Aulani --- February 1-5, 2013 * Disney Magic --- June 15, 2013 * Disney Fantasy 7 night Eastern Caribbean --- November 24, 2013 * Disney Magic 5 night Western Caribbean --- June 10-14, 2014 * Aulani
Looking forward to many more with DW (Texas Disney Fan) and DS15!!

DISDad member #2

dbenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Just for a different perspective, my kids spent zero time in the clubs.

DS15 ad DD12 had no interest. We went and toured as a family on the first day. We met the counselors who were all very nice and seemed like cool people. My kids had great conversations with them and also with some other kids walking around. they even played foosball with another bro/sis pair we met in Vibe. The spaces, both Edge and Vibe were awesome.

We had all planned for them to go to their respective meet up in the clubs after dinner that first night. However, dinner was a little slow that night and we were having a really good time getting to know our fabulous serving team that it was kinda late when we were done. We were also exhausted and the kids asked if we could just go change into jammies and walk around the ship and do the Midship Detective Agency. We didn't even make it back out for that, an ended up lounging in the room and getting to sleep in anticipation of our Nassau excursion at 9am the next day.

Every night pretty much went the same way. Fun with each other and Mom during the day, awesome show and dinner with our fab serving team, ad more hanging out together and going to D Lounge for family karaoke, or a movie, or shopping, etc.

On the sea day I had them look at the Navigator to see if they wanted to join an activity in the clubs, and they wanted to do lots of things listed, but NONE of them were in the clubs. We did towel folding, Anyone Can Cook, etc but the club activities didn't sound interesting to them.

On several occasions we saw groups of kids milling around or playing in the elevator banks outside of Edge or Vibe on their way in or out. Often, the tween girls (in little bikinis) were giggling and talking about boys and chasing them or laughing while putting on glittery lipgloss or whatever while moving in packs around the ship. Similar to what you see at most malls on the weekends. On once such occasion my DD looked at me and said "I don't think the clubs are for me. I'm not into the whole giggle, make-up, chase boys around scene." Which is true. And I'm glad about it, too!

Just my experience with my kids, and since kids come in all personalities, maybe somebody out there also has kids who may simply enjoy being with Mom :-)

P.S. Also wanted to add that my kids have lots of friends at church, in their homeschool group, and at the theater where they take acting, dance and music and perform in plays and musicals. My DD is in scouts and my DS is in the local HS Thespian Honor Society and participates in acting classes and plays there several times a week. All this to say that my kids are not anti-social, shy or not socialized. They were just interested in doing other things and being together as a family.

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Cravens
Earning My Ears

My DD9 spent a total of 3-4 hours in the clubs. That was for the entire cruise. She just didn't like them at all. She only went to make flubber and to the pajama party.

She really wanted to go to Edge but has to wait until our 2015.
Cravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneMom View Post
DD is 18 and has sailed DCL 7 times since she was 10.

She spent 1 hour in the club at 10 to make flubber and 1 hour in the club at 16 to try the teen thing. That's it, she doesn't like the clubs! For her DCL means hanging with the family.
Mine too!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100 View Post
Just for fun How long on average is your kid(s) in clubs/labs/tween/teen space? Please also note age of child.

My 8 yr old son is in the club or lab an average of 4 hours a day.
My 13 yr old....
Depends on the size of the group and what type of kids are there.

Last Cruise he wanted to hang with his friends after dinner every night. So I'd say 7pm-midnight ish! On sea days he hung out with them a bit longer. It was doing other activities outside of the club during the day!

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
Pluto1130
Earning My Ears

My 8 year old was there for about 6 hours a day this year.
Pluto1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #39
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

DD was 12 last year on the Magic. She spent maybe 1-2 hours per day in The Edge.
mom2val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

My 4 and 7 year old spent about 3-4 hours on average in the club/lab. It wasn't necessarily all at once though. The loved it and we often had to drag them away at bedtime.

My 1 year old went to the nursery as needed by us for dining reservations, spa appointments or show times, etc. He stayed anywhere from 1-3 hours but was usually around 1.5 hours. He didn't really like it since he doesn't go to day care at home.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: