Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Bus ride issue?

What bus ride issue? You ride the bus or drive yourself. The monorail resorts still require a bus ride to 2 of the 4 parks. BW/BC/YC/Swolphin still requires a bus ride to 2 of the 4 parks.

The time on the bus is actually not that great, its the wait for the bus to get there that makes it seem long. I suspect the difference in ride times isn't more than 10 minutes from any other resort.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

I find it less travel time than the deluxes that share buses. Sure you can hop a boat or monorail at the others but you have stops to deal with. Akl/Akv are basically on top of each other and then you are off direct to your location.

AKL is not that far away, really!
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

I had my car at the AKL, and still found myself taking the buses most of the time. The buses are dedicated to just Jambo and Kidani, they arrive regularly, and the lodge is very close to AK of course and HS. Five or ten extra minutes to get to Epcot or MK from HS is no problemo with me. We always had seats and the air conditioning was working well on each bus we rode.

A few times at AKL we waited under five minutes for a bus, and the longest we waited was about 18 minutes for a HS bus as one left as we were walking to the bus stop. We just missed it and another was there within 20 minutes to take us to HS.

Each time we left a park we got lucky and never had more than a five minute wait for an AKL bus to arrive.
Dannek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Well, all other deluxe resorts have bus PLUS some other type of transportation (monorail or boat). Some deluxe even gives you a walking route to a park. So all other deluxe resorts have AKL beat in this area of transportation. But, this is a deluxe (luxury) without a doubt. This is the only Disney resort where you wake up in the morning to the view out your room window of African themed animals. The atmosphere at this resort is amazing. Restaurants are great, and the pool is great. What a great place for a romantic getaway. So to answer the question, after being submerged at this great resort.... no, the bus transportation is not an issue.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Prior to staying at AKL on our last trip, I was very worried about the transportation. We are "park commandos" as many on the boards would say. We only go once every two years, so I want to maximize my time while there. Plus, we go in June when it's busy and hot. I don't want to waste a lot of time waiting on a bus early in the morning and possibly get to the park late when we are big on arriving early before rope drop. I was very nervous before our trip because many on the boards make AKL sound so remote--you'd think it was in the heart of Africa itself.

I was extremely and very pleasantly surprised by the transportation. Transportation was always quick and very reliable. The trip to MK took a little longer, but honestly only by 5 min. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot. It's only a stone's throw from AK and took only 5 min. to get to there. To me, it took about the same amount of time to get to Epcot and DHS. As others have mentioned, which is a great point, you may have a short time (distance) to Epcot and HS from BC, but the ride to MK and AK is slowed significantly by the multiple stops the buses BC has to make to the other resorts it shares with. In the end, AKL might actually be faster. It goes straight from AKL to your destination. If you stay at Kidani, it will stop there first and then go to AKL.

I would not hesitate a minute to stay at AKL again. We LOVED our stay here. However, I have not stayed at BC to have a direct comparison. I know it would be wonderful to be in the "backyard" of Epcot.

Last edited by disneybliss2; 06-27-2013 at 09:36 PM.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
sdkuhn77
Mouseketeer

We stayed AKL and loved the transportation. Everything was quick and efficient. One day there were a lot of people wanting to go to MK and the CM working at the bus stop noticed that we all wouldn't fit on one bus and called for another bus to show up. We didn't get on the first one, but 2 minutes later another empty bus showed up for us. Sure you don't get monorails or boats, but you get a freakin' Giraffe outside your hotel room! Totally beats a boat any day!
sdkuhn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We stayed at AKL 12 nights last August, and bus didn't bother us at all. Our first stay Kidani wasn't finished, so bus service was a little better, not sharing. But it's still not bad.
The only thing I think is unfair, is that aside from the DTD bus, Kidani always gets picked up first, and dropped off first. I feel it should be divided up a bit more fairly.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

It's air conditioned and an opportunity to sit down, LOL.

In all honestly, it's not that much further

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

I'm probably who you are looking for because I avoided the AKL because it was "too far away". But the past year I've been multiple times and bought an annual pass. Soooo...... For ME, worst travel experience was YC. But only because my kids are little and most of out time is AK and MK. but I swear, I could SEE the MK and it took us forever to get there between the waiting and the seriously long routes/multiple stops. I was frustrated.

I was expecting that at AKL. BUT have been at the bus stop bt 8:15 and made it to RD e Rey time at AKL. Didn't even make that happen on the monorail! It takes time, sure, but not much more than the other hotels. And he AKL dedication just made me feel better. I was never stressed or worried about transportation because my eectations were low and service was high.

Seriously, my experience with the cast, uniqueness of the property, and quality of the food/transportation were fabulous. I loved it. Every time. But if you don't understand that a savannah means a sprawling hotel and that the food has a little unique touch, you should stay more mainstream. Just depends on what you are looking for! Trust your instinct, you will always know best what fits you. There is a resort for everyone! So go ith what fits your family style and travel priorities the best. I (personally) think that AKL has the best theme and unique experience of any hotel on property. So I don't mind the commute. And LOVE the food. Which makes 4 minutes ore on a bus totally worth it. You decide and GOOD LUCK! My experience is that there is no bad choice!
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Have yet to stay at AKL (two more weeks,) but this was the reason I stayed away for so long. I am in Epcot fan and therefore the Boardwalk resorts are my favorites for the obvious reasons of being able to walk. However, last year we went to AKL to look around and eat lunch at Sanaa. We fell in love. Now we are staying there, but only as a split stay. We plan to go to the places where we would need a bus anyway such as Typhoon Lagoon, DTD, AK while staying there. We are saving MK for the days we stay at BLT. As an AP holder, we really like the luxury of being able to just walk in and out of whatever park we want whenever we want and so for us AKL is probably not something we would do on a regular basis as we really really need to stay close Epcot.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #26
cheshirecatattack
Mouseketeer

I stayed at AKL this past May for the first time and had no problem with the buses. We never waited more then 10 minutes for a bus and the rides are not as bad as some people make then out for be. The resort is totally worth checking out! It's a favorite for me now!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Wow!!!! You are all amazing! Thank you for ALL of the thoughtful and informative responses! So....this girl is SOLD!!! A common theme amongst all of your input is the buses being exclusive to the resort(s) and overall consistent service. Many of you also note that the bus ride is only a few minutes longer, and as I mentioned, we actually don't mind the ride and enjoy visiting with other guests. We had B- bus service at our recent YC stay.

I am so grateful for these boards and the kind people like all of you responding to my question! :-)

I will be booking AKL for next year!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #28
kandb
DIS Veteran

We have stayed there and the bus never bothered us at all. Once you are on the bus, who cares if it takes an extra 5-10 minutes to get to a park? I never understood why people complain. Also, when we were there, I never remember waiting a long time for a bus to arrive. Thought the transportation was great.
kandb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

What time do the buses start running?

We are planning on staying at AKL,and I want to try to book ADR's for Crystal Palace 8:05 BF. That's the only thing Im am worried about.

think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #30
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by think-like-tink View Post
What time do the buses start running?

We are planning on staying at AKL,and I want to try to book ADR's for Crystal Palace 8:05 BF. That's the only thing Im am worried about.
usually buses start running one hour prior to the park opening, but hopefully someone else can give you a better answer. I think you might need to take a cab is you have a really early ADR. The front desk can also clarify this for you at check in.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: