Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
GirlTideFan
Earning My Ears

First Timer Questions...

So, I have some questions...

As a first time Disney Cruiser what is the best time to schedule our PAT? We are very excited to get on the ship, but don't want to have a long wait time with a 4 yo and a 5 yo.

Also, I have read a lot about the Rainforest Room, but am still not really sure what it all is. Please explain more :-)

If we sign our children up for the clubs and they decide they do not want to go can we remove the bands? I don't want for them to have to wear them the entire cruise when they are not comfortable going to the clubs.

Another club question, during the open times are just parents and children allowed into the clubs or will grandparents, etc be allowed also? Or maybe the open times are a everyone welcome (with kids, without kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
GirlTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTideFan View Post

As a first time Disney Cruiser what is the best time to schedule our PAT? We are very excited to get on the ship, but don't want to have a long wait time with a 4 yo and a 5 yo.

Also, I have read a lot about the Rainforest Room, but am still not really sure what it all is. Please explain more :-)

If we sign our children up for the clubs and they decide they do not want to go can we remove the bands? I don't want for them to have to wear them the entire cruise when they are not comfortable going to the clubs.

Another club question, during the open times are just parents and children allowed into the clubs or will grandparents, etc be allowed also? Or maybe the open times are a everyone welcome (with kids, without kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
For quickest boarding, I'd suggest getting a PAT of 12:30-1:00. That's generally after the boarding has begun, the crowd is thinner in the terminal, and open boarding may have already started. Since your actual boarding number is based on your PAT, you may have a higher number, but, with open boarding, anyone can board regardless of their actual boarding number. And, it's before the busses start arriving from WDW with more people.

You can remove the bands when the kids aren't in the club, and they will just put them on again, when they return there. Be aware there are charges for lost bands

Open House in the Club/Lab is for all ages (family, friends, whatever).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
GirlTideFan
Earning My Ears

Awesome, thank you!

Also, what all will we need to do our online check in? I want to be prepared and not be running around trying to find something I may need.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Awesome, thank you!

Also, what all will we need to do our online check in? I want to be prepared and not be running around trying to find something I may need.
Full names, birthdates, passport #s, credit card info, pre & post cruise travel info. For kids club registration, you'll need a "safe word" to register for pickup.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
GirlTideFan
Earning My Ears

Great, thanks so much for your help! Now the dreaded wait till it is time to check in!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Also, I have read a lot about the Rainforest Room, but am still not really sure what it all is. Please explain more :-)!
We will be first timers too- also curious about the Rainforest Room!
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
GirlTideFan
Earning My Ears

Another question (I could probably think up these all day long!)...

I've read somewhere on the board about cooking demonstrations on the ship, however I did not see any on the recent navigators I looked at. I may have overlooked them as there is SO MUCH to do on the ships. Anyone know anything about these?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
mordecai
Mouseketeer

The rainforest room is a spa that offers different types of relaxing showers, hot tubs, sauna, steam room, and chairs you can relax in. The cost is around $15 per day, or you can get weekly passes. Here is a short video showing what it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNL-inZJp4E
Old 06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've read somewhere on the board about cooking demonstrations on the ship, however I did not see any on the recent navigators I looked at. I may have overlooked them as there is SO MUCH to do on the ships. Anyone know anything about these?
There is an entertainment series for Teens (I believe) called "Anyone can Cook" that has cooking demonstrations. I think it depends on the length of your cruise as well.

Quote:
Another question (I could probably think up these all day long!)...
Keep `em coming! I've read answers to questions I hadn't even thought of because other people were thoughtful enough to ask.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

Quote:

As a first time Disney Cruiser what is the best time to schedule our PAT? We are very excited to get on the ship, but don't want to have a long wait time with a 4 yo and a 5 yo. our PAT was for 11:30. We arrived at 12.we walked right on. No wait.

Also, I have read a lot about the Rainforest Room, but am still not really sure what it all is. Please explain more :-)heated tile loungers,saunas,aromatherapy showers, hot tubs, etc. you can buy a day pass online for $16 or a weekly pass. Sometimes onboard they run specials on the weekly in addition to other treatments.

If we sign our children up for the clubs and they decide they do not want to go can we remove the bands? I don't want for them to have to wear them the entire cruise when they are not comfortable going to the clubs. you can always have the bands removed. They will just put a new band on if the child wants to go back to the club.

Another club question, during the open times are just parents and children allowed into the clubs or will grandparents, etc be allowed also? Or maybe the open times are a everyone welcome (with kids, without kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.)everyone is welcome in open house!

Thanks in advance!
Hope this helps

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention but was a discussion I saw about a week ago; apparently they ENCOURAGE you to remove the band when they're not in the club so you don't lose the little sensor thing. This wasn't my experience but multiple people said the CM's told them to do this and they'll simply give you another plastic strap next time you show up to the club.

There is a $50 charge if you lose the little sensor jigger so you don't want that falling off in the ocean while swimming!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
DisneyBride1214
Mouseketeer

First Timer

How does it work with the 2 and under play area? I know that there is a fee but do you have to know the exact times that you want to bring your child during the day? Can you pay for all day and be able to take them and pick them up any time you want? I hope I am making myself clear...lol

Thanks in advance!
DisneyBride1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBride1214 View Post
How does it work with the 2 and under play area? I know that there is a fee but do you have to know the exact times that you want to bring your child during the day? Can you pay for all day and be able to take them and pick them up any time you want? I hope I am making myself clear...lol

Thanks in advance!
For the nursery you must make a reservation. You will be limited to a maximum number of hours pre-cruise. I think for a 7 night cruise it's maybe 18 hours. Once onboard you can book additional hours, if there are any available. This is to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to book some time.

The cost for the nursery is $6.00 per hour.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBride1214 View Post

Thanks in advance!
You'll need to reserve times for the nursery. Depending on length of cruise, you can schedule something like 10 hours in advance, and more time may be available once the cruise gets underway - just ask. It's really not a "drop in anytime" kind of service like the Club/Lab as they can only have X number of little ones there at any given time to maintain their small staff ratios and more direct hands-on interactions.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Happy100
DIS Veteran

I don't recall any cooking demonstrations for adults on any of my cruises...Magic, Wonder and Fantasy.

Kids club-to help your kids enjoy and love the club I would go to the open house that first day with them and grandparents/anyone can go. For their first time going to the club by themselves I would choose an club/lab activity with them before hand then take them and pick them up at the scheduled time. Hopefully they will see what a wonderful kids place this is and choose to keep going. Every evening my son and I choose kids club activities he wants to do the next day in the club or lab. On average my son is in the club about 4 hours a day.

Hope this helps!

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: