Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #1066
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
I just read that Veronica is only 3/256th Cherokee? 3/256!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh! Half of the people in America probably have that much Native American ancestry. I knew the father didn't look like he was anywhere close to half NA and the mother was not NA, but I figured the child was at least a decent percentage NA.

So I guess the other 253/256 part that was not NA just didn't matter? Because the laws regarding adoption of NA children are the only reason this ever made it to court.

If that child is truly only 3/256 Cherokee, it is ridiculous that the law was ever applied to her case. I wonder if that amount is correct...........
ICWA is about the preservation of Native American culture, not about blood. This child is 100% a member of the Cherokee Nation, just the way I'm 100% an American, even though I have ancestors from other countries.
Mickey'snewestfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #1067
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
ICWA is about the preservation of Native American culture, not about blood. This child is 100% a member of the Cherokee Nation, just the way I'm 100% an American, even though I have ancestors from other countries.
http://www.nicwa.org/indian_child_welfare_act/
The Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) is a federal law that seeks to keep American Indian children with American Indian families. Congress passed ICWA in 1978 in response to the alarmingly high number of Indian children being removed from their homes by both public and private agencies. The intent of Congress under ICWA was to "protect the best interests of Indian children and to promote the stability and security of Indian tribes and families
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #1068
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
http://www.nicwa.org/indian_child_welfare_act/
The Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) is a federal law that seeks to keep American Indian children with American Indian families. Congress passed ICWA in 1978 in response to the alarmingly high number of Indian children being removed from their homes by both public and private agencies. The intent of Congress under ICWA was to "protect the best interests of Indian children and to promote the stability and security of Indian tribes and families

Exactly, and the ICWA defines an Indian child as one who is eligible for membership in an Indian Nation, such as the Cherokee Nation. Under this definition, there is no doubt that Veronica is an Indian child.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #1069
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Exactly, and the ICWA defines an Indian child as one who is eligible for membership in an Indian Nation, such as the Cherokee Nation. Under this definition, there is no doubt that Veronica is an Indian child.
The child is about 1% Native American. So the law ignores the other 99% of what she is. Sorry, but I think there ought to be a higher minimum threshold than 1%. Letting 1% of your heritage completely define you and control your destiny is ridiculous. Geez, I am more NA than that and it would be silly to call me a Native American.
EMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #1070
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You said, "CWA is about the preservation of Native American culture, not about blood. This child is 100% a member of the Cherokee Nation, just the way I'm 100% an American, even though I have ancestors from other countries."

I quoted from the ICWA website and it is all aboyt the blood. The NA culture is not even mentioned.

ICWA was intially written to prevent Native American children from being taken from their parents and siblings to be put up for adoption.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #1071
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You said, "CWA is about the preservation of Native American culture, not about blood. This child is 100% a member of the Cherokee Nation, just the way I'm 100% an American, even though I have ancestors from other countries."

I quoted from the ICWA website and it is all aboyt the blood. The NA culture is not even mentioned.

ICWA was intially written to prevent Native American children from being taken from their parents and siblings to be put up for adoption.
The word blood isn't even in what you quoted.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #1072
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

If you want to quote the ICWA website, how about this quote:

Quote:
Indian children involved in state child custody proceedings are covered by ICWA. A person may define his or her identity as Indian but in order for ICWA to apply, the involved child must be an Indian child as defined by the law. ICWA defines an "Indian child" as "any unmarried person who is under age eighteen and is either (a) a member of an Indian tribe or (b) is eligible for membership in an Indian tribe and is the biological child of a member of an Indian tribe" (25 U.S.C. § 1903). Under federal law, individual tribes have the right to determine eligibility, membership, or both.
I think it's pretty clear that ICWA eligibility is based on tribal membership and not on blood.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #1073
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

Quote:
If you want to quote the ICWA website, how about this quote:

I think it's pretty clear that ICWA eligibility is based on tribal membership and not on blood.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #1074
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan520 View Post
I think you need to step away from this.

That's an understatement, but it will likely never happen.
EMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #1075
Metsfan520
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
That's an understatement, but it will likely never happen.
I think you may be right. But we can hope.
Metsfan520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #1076
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Once again, you have gone too far. While I think what had happened to Veronica and DB is terrible, I cannot agree with you. Your extreme view is just as bad as the extreme views on the other side.
Yikes.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #1077
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Ok, I get it, you guys don't like how this trail went down but unless you've got some hard evidence supporting your claim of abuse. let's try to dial down the hysteria.
Please do not lump the rest of us who believe that V is with the wrong family with Paula. We do not agree with her assessment.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #1078
Robbi
DIS Veteran

The conversation veered off and I'm trying to figure out if I missed a post somewhere.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #1079
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The conversation veered off and I'm trying to figure out if I missed a post somewhere.
Yes, some posts were deleted.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #1080
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
Yes, some posts were deleted.
Thank-you, I thought that I had entered the Twilight Zone.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: