Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #796
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
According to the governor's statement, DB was not cooperative. There's a gag order in place so even what we read is suspect, unless it comes from an official source like the governor or a judge. She would not have made this decision without knowing the details that have not been shared with the public.
I think you are right. I can't imagine that Fallin made her decision without having all the information at her disposal. There must be something that she knows that we don't due to the gag order.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #797
gottaluvPluto
Loving everything Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Then there should be more outrage if it's about "saving" her. She seems like she's happy, much loved, and well cared for, and that's what's most important. There's enough evidence, as has been acknowledged by judges in the case, that the "adoption" was fraudulent. What's left is a legal mess, two understandably devastated adoptive parents, and an innocent little girl who deserves stability in her life, and yes, her heritage, in a community that welcomes her - the people who orchestrated this whole mess walking around scot free, barely recognized. It's a shame innocent people have to pay the price for others' greed, dishonesty, and incompetence.
You would think, since there is evidence of the adoption being fraudulent then it needs to be voided. Veronica truly needs to be with her parents and that is with the Browns.

This entire situation is a huge cluster ______. Again, the C's should back down and go home. They are not showing any love towards this child by doing what they are doing. Disgusting!

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #798
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...himself-151164

DB turned himself in. The hearing was moved from next week to Oct. I wonder why that would be? So he's not going anywhere for awhile.

It was hypothesized somewhere else I read that it was orchestrated so that he would miss V's birthday. I can't imagine that was the case, but at this point I can't rule out anything.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #799
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think you are right. I can't imagine that Fallin made her decision without having all the information at her disposal. There must be something that she knows that we don't due to the gag order.
It's nice that you're giving her the benefit of the doubt but considering the incredibly bone headed moves that elected officials make all the time, I'm pretty skeptical.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #800
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
It's nice that you're giving her the benefit of the doubt but considering the incredibly bone headed moves that elected officials make all the time, I'm pretty skeptical.
I just read on the link posted before yours that Gov. Fallin and SC Governor Nikki Haley are having a joint fund raising appearance over the weekend so you may be right. I would really hate it if her decision was motivated by something other than the best interests of Veronica.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #801
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just read on the link posted before yours that Gov. Fallin and SC Governor Nikki Haley are having a joint fund raising appearance over the weekend so you may be right. I would really hate it if her decision was motivated by something other than the best interests of Veronica.
Governor Fallin has had the extradition order on her desk for ~ a month. She said that she was giving DB until Sept. 3rd or 4th to comply. She said he didn't. I don't think that the governor of a state with a strong Native American presence would allow a fundraiser to motivate her. It would put her in a very bad light. She's following the law. DB has not obeyed the South Carolina ruling. Can you imagine what craziness the country would be if someone disobeys a law in Florida but can go to Maine and have that state not recognize or pay attention to a court's decision? It would be chaos.

Anonymous witnesses mean diddly. You can have "witnesses" on both sides saying whatever the heck they want to say that will put their side in a better light and the other side in a worse light. The governor has access to the facts.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #802
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Governor Fallin has had the extradition order on her desk for ~ a month. She said that she was giving DB until Sept. 3rd or 4th to comply.
It has been less than a month since Gov. Haley issued the warrant on 8/12 and Fallin was going to give Brown until his hearing on 9/12 before she was going to extradite him.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #803
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It has been less than a month since Gov. Haley issued the warrant on 8/12 and Fallin was going to give Brown until his hearing on 9/12 before she was going to extradite him.
I posted more or less than a month.
Fallin earlier said she would not sign the extradition order if Brown showed he was willing to work with the Capobiancos. But Fallin said Wednesday that Brown isn't showing a willingness to work with the couple.

"Unfortunately, it has become clear that Dusten Brown is not acting in good faith," Fallin said in a statement.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #804
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is all politically driven.

That is why the court did not see it the same way as Fallin and granted Brown bond and a hearing to see if he even should be extradited. If it was perfectly legit, the courts would not have overrode Fallin. The sheriff, who was furious, said he had never seen a court override a governor before. So, it must have been pretty off the charts wrong what Fallin did.

Brown's lawyers requested a meeting with Fallin before she signed the papers, but it did not happen.

According to news reports (which is still a he said, she said) the reason the visitation was cancelled over the weekend is because Matt C threatened to just take Veronica during the visitation. So, the lawyers filed the request to have the visitations stopped.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #805
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post

That is why the court did not see it the same way as Fallin and granted Brown bond and a hearing to see if he even should be extradited. If it was perfectly legit, the courts would not have overrode Fallin. The sheriff, who was furious, said he had never seen a court override a governor before. So, it must have been pretty off the charts wrong what Fallin did.

Brown's lawyers requested a meeting with Fallin before she signed the papers, but it did not happen.

According to news reports (which is still a he said, she said) the reason the visitation was cancelled over the weekend is because Matt C threatened to just take Veronica during the visitation. So, the lawyers filed the request to have the visitations stopped.
Yet he's the one "not cooperating". (If this is true. I have read the same thing elsewhere, at this point I don't remember where.)

I also believe these things can be politically motivated, absolutely.

I do wish we could hear all the details.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #806
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If she was politically motivated, she would not have signed the extradition papers. Many of her constituents are not happy with her decision.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #807
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I read somewhere that DB was not extradited because he was fighting it. The judge said that is usually not the case (although I find that hard to believe) so they are sent right off to the state that wants them.

I still don't understand why he made the hearing later?

Last edited by zoemurr; 09-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #808
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
I read somewhere that DB was not extradited because he was fighting it. The judge said that is usually not the case (although I find that hard to believe) so usually they are sent right off to the state that wants them.

I still don't understand why he made the hearing later?
Exactly. He was entitled to a hearing to see if SC's extradition request was valid. Fallin ignored that even when Brown's attorneys wanted to meet with her to explain the legal issues of her signing the order.

The sheriff originally ignored the judge's orders and did not release Brown on Fallin's orders. She told him to keep Brown locked up and ignore the court order.

She then had to reverse herself when somebody informed her of the law and Brown's rights.

At least there is a reasonable explanation why Veronica's lawyers filed the motion to suspend all visits by the C's.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #809
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Whoever upthread said this is a cluster was correct.

Dusten released from custody:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...0_BabyVe690067

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #810
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Interesting opinion piece out of Charleston.

Quote:
The Capobiancos should stop fighting for custody of Baby Veronica

Dusten Brown will be the only man that she truly calls 'daddy'

Posted by Chris Haire on Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Like many of you here in Charleston, I've followed the Baby Veronica case with great interest. And like many of you, when I first heard this morning that Veronica's biological father Dusten Brown had surrendered to authorities in Oklahoma to be extradited to South Carolina, I thought that this sad, sad saga had finally begun to come to an end. But like the countless other times when it seemed as if this entire ordeal was over with — that Veronica was finally going to be with a family that would love and care for her— it suddenly wasn't.

A short time ago, an Oklahoma judge ordered the Sequoyah County Sheriff's Department to release Brown from jail. As it stands now, Dusten Brown will return to court on Oct. 3 to learn whether he will be sent to South Carolina to be tried for the crime of custodial interference, namely that he had failed to turn over Baby Veronica to the Capobiancos. And if and when he is extradited, it will do nothing to solve the ongoing custody fight over the three-year-old little girl. In fact, it will only make things worse. Much worse. Especially for the Capobiancos.

Although the Capobiancos may not want to hear this, Ronnie Brown will never be their daughter as long as Dusten Brown is alive. Too much time has passed from when they called Baby Veronica their own and when they were forced to give her up. Today, the bond between Ronnie and her father is probably far too great to break, and anyone who believes that bond should be broken should be ashamed of themselves. When it comes down to it, Ronnie Brown is not a cause; Baby Veronica is. The flesh and blood Ronnie Brown is a child, and Dusten Brown is her flesh and blood father — and by all accounts, he loves her.

Forget the Indian Child Welfare Act. Forget that the Capobiancos raised Baby Veronica from birth until she was two. Forget that they tried desperately to have children of their own for years and years and years. Forget that they loved and cared for her as if she was their own child. She's not. She's Dusten Brown's, and for nearly the past two years, she has been under his care. She has spent her days and nights with him and his family. She has called him "daddy" countless times. Regardless of what happens, she will never call Matt Capobianco "daddy" and mean it in the exact same way she does when she refers to Dusten Brown.

Right now, Ronnie Brown is surely aware that her daddy, Dusten Brown, loves her so much he is willing to go to jail to save her. The Capobiancos will never be able to lay claim to such a heroic sacrifice, and because they can't, Ronnie Brown will never be theirs. And as the years go by, Dusten Brown's sacrifice will only grow in importance to little Ronnie Brown, and it will only poison whatever relationship the Capobiancos hope to have with her if she is handed over to them. Their lives will be ruined. But more importantly, so will hers.

So much has gone wrong when it comes to this case. So much has been mishandled. And too many tears have been shed and hearts have been broken. It's finally time for someone to do something right. And for the Capobiancos that means putting an end to this tragedy right here and right now. If they truly wish for the best for Ronnie Brown, they must quit fighting for custody of Baby Veronica. She doesn't exist. Ronnie Brown does, and Dusten Brown is her father. Let him have her. Her future — and theirs — depends on it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: