Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
tasha99
DIS Veteran

I think this was a sad decision. The adoptive parents should have worked with the father the instant they knew there was deception in this adoption. Instead, they continued to fight to keep Veronica, even after it would have been kinder to let go. This isn't love; it's possession.
tasha99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

My sister is an adoptive parent who adopted through the foster care system. She said at the start that she wasn't in it to steal someone else child, as long as the child had a fit parent or even family member that loved them she'd never get in the way of that. She even lived up to that statement when they had to return a little boy they cared and loved so much. They could've fought, they had a case, but they didn't. It hurt her so much and till this day, 2 years later, she still loves and misses him. But she kept repeating I don't want to finally start my family, by stealing someones child.

She finally did adopt a beautiful, amazing little girl through foster care. She was placed in my sister/BIL's care when she was 3 days old. My nieces bio mom actually asked my sister to adopt her and of course my sister was over joyed and said yes. The father appeared in court and signed his rights away as well.

How in the world are these adoptive parents going to explain taking this little girl away from her Dad when she's old enough to ask? Or even worse when she's old enough to read all the info for herself on the internet? Can't even imagine. I believe if they truly loved her and wanted what was best for her they'd let her go and stop fighting, just as my sister did.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonhound View Post
That poor child. She must be so confused. I think what the Capobiancos have done is unforgivable. I feel angry for her father's sake. She never should have been adopted to the C's to begin with. I feel really angry with our legal system at this point. I am all for adoption but this was not adoption it was legalized kidnapping.
I agree.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Coonhound
DIS Veteran

This is not a "victory for adoptive parents everywhere".
Both parents want to place their baby for adoption? Fine. Everything is done legally? Until that baby is legally adopted she still belongs with her first family.
Adoption is great when everything is done on the up and up.
Veronica's mother chose this family and deliberately made it difficult/nearly impossible for the father to stop her (one way she did this is by putting his name wrong on the birth certificate). The adoptive couple KNEW there were red flags but went along with it anyway so they could get the baby.
The father never agreed in writing or by any legal document that he wanted to sever ties to his child.
I never thought I'd say something like this...but...I almost hope that he runs and starts a new life with his daughter somewhere else. He and his daughter have been wronged by the US legal system. If I were him I wouldn't allow anyone to come to my home and take away my child to give her back to people who adopted her in a shady way. His own child was already taken away from him once, now again- I'd have lost my faith in the legal system. V should not have been with the Capobiancos to begin with, this case clearly shows how fathers have very little rights...
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is not a "victory for adoptive parents everywhere".
Both parents want to place their baby for adoption? Fine. Everything is done legally? Until that baby is legally adopted she still belongs with her first family.
Adoption is great when everything is done on the up and up.
Veronica's mother chose this family and deliberately made it difficult/nearly impossible for the father to stop her (one way she did this is by putting his name wrong on the birth certificate). The adoptive couple KNEW there were red flags but went along with it anyway so they could get the baby.
The father never agreed in writing or by any legal document that he wanted to sever ties to his child.
I never thought I'd say something like this...but...I almost hope that he runs and starts a new life with his daughter somewhere else. He and his daughter have been wronged by the US legal system. If I were him I wouldn't allow anyone to come to my home and take away my child to give her back to people who adopted her in a shady way. His own child was already taken away from him once, now again- I'd have lost my faith in the legal system. V should not have been with the Capobiancos to begin with, this case clearly shows how fathers have very little rights...
I agree
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
He was a deadbeat father who refused to support her.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #22
alc571
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post

Yes, but if he was interested in his child, how would he have not known the baby was put up for adoption? It is implied that he was nowhere near the baby for months. I guess it was okay to ignore her as long as she was with the mother, but not anyone else? Just seems odd to me.
I'm with you. If he really cared about this baby so much, he would have been there for the birth and as much time as he could thereafter. This poor baby girl was ripped from the only family she knew, and given to a stranger simply because of biology. She is the only one whose rights should be considered here. If the adoptive family she's known since birth, are loving, caring providers, than why take her away from all that she knows simply because her biological father suddenly has an interest. You can't tell me he didn't know of the baby.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
He was a deadbeat father who refused to support her.
I think he has a different side to that story.

At least its over. I feel bad for the child.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
From the ruling: The couple’s relationship deteriorated, and Birth Mother broke off the engagement in May 2009. In June, Birth Mother sent Biological Father a text message asking if he would rather pay child support or relinquish his parental rights. Biological father responded via text message that he relinquished his rights.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post

At least its over. I feel bad for the child.
It's not over. More legal proceedings are expected.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
Coonhound
DIS Veteran

Sorry, it's his child. Nothing else matters except that he didn't sign away his rights to his child. The adoptive family can be Nobel peace prize winners for all I care. Providing a safe, loving home does not give you the right to steal someone else's baby.
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Sorry, it's his child. Nothing else matters except that he didn't sign away his rights to his child. The adoptive family can be Nobel peace prize winners for all I care. Providing a safe, loving home does not give you the right to steal someone else's baby.
He DID sign away his rights. Then he changed his mind.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #28
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
From the ruling: The couple’s relationship deteriorated, and Birth Mother broke off the engagement in May 2009. In June, Birth Mother sent Biological Father a text message asking if he would rather pay child support or relinquish his parental rights. Biological father responded via text message that he relinquished his rights.
An article I read several months ago said that he relinquished his rights to the birth mother because he was trying to gain her favor since he wanted them to get back together. If I remember correctly, he specifically said she was not to be put of for adoption.

I think he's made a lot of mistakes but I also believe that the birth mother was dishonest and that the adoptive family ignored issues that they were aware of early on. He should have been given custody when she was 4 months old.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
roomthreeseventeen

Also, this case was never about whether the father was entitled to custody of this child. He never was, under US law. This case was only about whether Native American law granted him the right to custody of his child. The Supreme Court has found that it doesn't.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post

It's not over. More legal proceedings are expected.
Yep. Found this-

Quote:
The Supreme Court did not grant the couple an adoption, but threw out the South Carolina court decisions awarding custody to the father.

The court returned the case to the South Carolina state courts for further proceedings.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: