Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

6 years today. My yearly PSA!

I post this every year here to share my story. Some of you may be tired of seeing it but I get a couple PM's a year saying how my story prompted them to go to the ER and get checked when they normally would not have. If it can help at least one person then I'll share until my dying day.

It was a Friday, just a regular day. I got my kids up for school and went along on my normal morning routine. One of the boys got picked up and the other was was lagging and missed his ride. He asked me if I would drive him in. I said yes and headed upstairs to get dressed.

As I got upstairs my back, between the shoulder blades, started to ache. Figured I'd somehow twisted my back going up the stairs. I tried to stretch it out but no luck and it kept getting worse. After maybe 10 minutes my arms started to ache but just down to the elbows. This to started getting strong so I woke my other son up and asked him to come upstairs. By the time he came up my left arm hurt really bad and I started having pressure in my chest. I figured I'd better go to the ER. I was hesitant though because I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks that have landed me in the ER before. I've always felt like such an idiot when that happens.

So I decide yes, we need to go. As I was walking to the car I kept thinking maybe I should call an ambulance. But the hospital is pretty close by and if it got too bad we can pull over and call from the side of the road.

By the time I got there I was bent over in pain. They brought me right to the back and hooked me up and gave me some nitro. Then another dosage, and then another. That started to help. After a bit they gave me more and again that seemed to help. So they ended up putting a nitro patch on me and that really helped so much with the pain.

They did the usual tests and the ER Doctor came in and said everything checked out fine. BUT because you are a woman and woman present differently with chest pain I'm going to admit you and rerun your blood work in 6 hours. There is an enzyme that your heart releases if you've had a heart attack but it can take up to 6 hours to show,

So after 6 hours they reran my blood work. The Doctor comes in and says "you've had a heart attack." Well you could have knocked me and my husband over with a feather. I was 44. I don't smoke, very very rarely drink, maybe 15 pounds overweight. I have no significant risk factors.
I had to stay in all weekend and on Monday they did a cardiac cath. The results from that showed no blockages. I didn't need any surgery or even any stents put in. There was a little blockage, which is normal, but nothing that would cause a heart attack. Thankfully my heart only suffered minimal damage.

They still, one year later, do not know why I had my heart attack. It's possible a piece of plaque broke off causing a temporary blockage of blood flow. I could have had a spasm that cut off my blood supply. They just never found anything conclusive. I've only had to go back 2 times with issues and both turned out ok. The Drs don't think it's anything that will happen again, but it's unnerving that it even happened in the first place. I mean it happened one time for no reason, why not a second?

So after my long tale here I want to say to say to all the women here if you go to the ER with chest pains and they run your blood and it checks out, ask to have it rerun in 6 hours. Whether you go home and come back, go home and then see your PCP or just get a lab slip, whatever, just do it. Insist on it. If they didn't rerun my blood I would never had known I had a heart attack. I would have brushed it off as a panic attack and again felt foolish. It probably would have prevented me from going back next time it happened and who knows how that may turn out.

If you stuck through this long long post, thank you. And if this helps even one person than what I went through was well worth it.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

Thank you

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

6 Years already? Wow, time flies. Thank God that you sought help when you did, and that you are still here with us on the DIS posting the PSA to help others!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

I've been on the DIS 6 years and this is my first time seeing your PSA.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

***Ultimate Orlando w/DIS, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14***Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Thanks for re posting!

Book Challenge Goal 53/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
tabby1881
Mouseketeer

Thank you for this.
tabby1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
low-key
DIS Veteran

hey
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing & I'm glad you're ok.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

So glad to see this. As an ER nurse I often see people who wait too long and brush off their symptoms. Glad you are ok!

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
bbak3030 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

I've read this every time that you've posted it and I want to say THANK YOU!!

With all that we (the general "we") have on our minds these days, we can not be reminded too much of the symptoms of heart attack, and how they can differ from those of men, and also about the 6 hour enzyme time frame.

I am SO glad that you are OK and still posting this every year.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
BrerMom

My hero, zero

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I read it every year! Thank you for reminding us
Glad you are keeping well ...
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
Kristina
DIS Veteran

Thank you, I'm glad I took the time to read your post as I would'nt have known and it's always good to be well informed. Glad your experience wasn't more severe.

Kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #14
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

I think I've read this before but it's still a very sobering tale. Thank you for reposting and reminding everyone that there are other signs besides the left arm pain and pressure on the chest.

I've also read that some women may experience a similar pain in the jaw - pain keeps intensifying. That one I would never expect to be an indicator of a heart attack!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #15
Briarmom
Bessie Robindale
Larry's been done. Laird is refreshing!
I always thought it was my farsighted left eye that did me in
Knows about bone folders

Thank you P!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: