Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
katie111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
TripAdvisor --- don't let it ruin your vacation. It's highly negative.
I don't get this. We travel a lot and I find Tripadvisor to be invaluable. Honestly, I think people on the Disboard see Disney through rose colored glasses. Disney can seem to do no wrong and if someone posts a negative review about a Disney hotel, everyone gets up in arms. The same seems to be true on this board about Bonnet Creek. If anyone says anything negative about it everyone jumps in & says what a great time they had there. I think the Tripadvisor reviews are much more accurate as people are comparing the Disney hotels to what they would expect to find in any other major city. I had a horrible experience at Port Orleans & posted it on the Disney Hotel forum. It seemed like nobody wanted to believe these things could happen at a Disney hotel (room keys that didn't work every single day, pack n play that we requested 3 different days & never received, 2 days of no house keeping, broken air conditioner, etc, etc). It certainly didn't ruin our vacation, but it did put a damper on it.

I just think if Tripadvisor reviews were "highly negative" then wouldn't every hotel be poorly rated? Of course some people have unrealistic expectations but that's true of any hotel.

We are actually staying at the WBC Hotel starting tomorrow so when I get back I will post a review here as well as on TA. I'm hoping its fantastic. I plan to go in with a positive outlook and I'm sure we will have a great time.
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
sb682
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie111 View Post
I don't get this. We travel a lot and I find Tripadvisor to be invaluable. Honestly, I think people on the Disboard see Disney through rose colored glasses. Disney can seem to do no wrong and if someone posts a negative review about a Disney hotel, everyone gets up in arms. The same seems to be true on this board about Bonnet Creek. If anyone says anything negative about it everyone jumps in & says what a great time they had there. I think the Tripadvisor reviews are much more accurate as people are comparing the Disney hotels to what they would expect to find in any other major city. I had a horrible experience at Port Orleans & posted it on the Disney Hotel forum. It seemed like nobody wanted to believe these things could happen at a Disney hotel (room keys that didn't work every single day, pack n play that we requested 3 different days & never received, 2 days of no house keeping, broken air conditioner, etc, etc). It certainly didn't ruin our vacation, but it did put a damper on it.

I just think if Tripadvisor reviews were "highly negative" then wouldn't every hotel be poorly rated? Of course some people have unrealistic expectations but that's true of any hotel.

We are actually staying at the WBC Hotel starting tomorrow so when I get back I will post a review here as well as on TA. I'm hoping its fantastic. I plan to go in with a positive outlook and I'm sure we will have a great time.
I think it's more accurate to say that Tripadvisor reviews are very nitpicky. People complain about the smallest things and you have to take the reviews there with a grain of salt. You also have to read several reviews to get an accurate picture of the hotel. If most people are satisfied with their stays and a few reviews are negative, I'd feel good about staying there.

Your complaints about Port Orleans are legit. I'd be annoyed if I paid all that money and had all those inconveniences, especially the Pack and Play. I agree that a lot of people on DIS have a very sunny view of Disney resorts and overlook things that they might not put up with on other vacations. But there are some people (not saying you are one) who gripe about every little thing. Like the people who complain about laminate vs. granite counters at WBC. Who cares? It's not your kitchen, it's one you're using for a week or two. And the old TVs. It's not a big deal to me, but some people like to complain about everything.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

Sometimes I read the reviews if BC on trip advisor and wonder if its the same resort I have stayed at four times. We stayed for 21 nights last July/August and loved every minute. We were in tower 4 but before that have always stayed in the main building. We have requested tower 4 again this year and even though it didn't have the new sofas or the granite work tops we loved the location as our favourite pool is right outside. Our friends came last year and I was so nervous that I had recommended somewhere but they loved it and even cancelled a couple of nights at the hard rock as they didn't want to leave. In just over 3 weeks we will be going to BC for 22 nights and my brothers family will also be renting there at the same time. It will be their first trip and I know they will love it.
I have seen bugs in our room at SSR which were quickly dealt with and didn't for one minute think it was disneys fault. In fact I am always surprised there aren't more bugs in Florida.
You are going to have a great time.
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Naturally, as a property ages, everything else about it ages. You might not find everything in pristine condition, as might have been described a year or two ago. So reviews now are not likely to be as good as they were back then. Yes, there will probably be a few more loose threads in the furniture now then there were a year ago.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie111 View Post

I also think that Trip-advisor reviews of Time-share properties need to be viewed differently than a trip-advisor review of a hotel.

Most people booking or using a site like Trip-Advisor are used to and often even expecting a hotel-like experience, complete with daily housekeeping and a staff that can "make it right" since you are paying them for the room. They are not expecting a Timeshare-condo type experience where there is no daily housekeeping, and the person they are paying for their reservation has no direct relationship with the resort staff or resort, so there isn't the same ability to "make it right" that a hotel might have. I've seen a lot of reviews and comments that are negative towards Bonnet Creek which have obviously been flavored by the person not properly setting their expectations.
(Even if they may have had some legit complaints within their review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
Naturally, as a property ages, everything else about it ages. You might not find everything in pristine condition, as might have been described a year or two ago. So reviews now are not likely to be as good as they were back then. Yes, there will probably be a few more loose threads in the furniture now then there were a year ago.
I've also found that the resort has been used "Much harder" over the past several years as it's rental popularity has grown. Personally, I tend to see this as a result of more non-timeshare-owner guests who are rough on the property thinking of it as a hotel which has upkeep and repairs paid for via corporate dollars and their nightly rate, versus time-share owners (either exchangers or home resort owners) who understand that the resort maintenance is paid for by other individuals like themselves and accordingly will treat the place with a bit more respect (like if they were staying in a friends house).
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

Just got back today

from WBC. WE have stayed there 5 times and this was our best trip ever. Got our reservation thru an owner on ebay. Arrived at 1pm and our 3 br unit was ready. We got building 6 pool view it was awesome. Everything was in perfect condition and love how building 6 connects to the hotel, good for my morning starbucks habit. Can't wait to go back, I used to be a dvc owner and I cant believe how much better BC is than disney in absolutely everyway except park access. can't wait to go back
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a 2 bedroom June 16-22. We didn't love it for a Disney vacation. The resort was great, they had a ground floor room available when we got there at noon. Yes, I saw 3 palmetto bugs. It was on our last day, it had rained everyday all week and we were on the ground floor with lush shrubbery right up against the building, and they were in the trash closet and bathroom. I wasn't surprised and simply told the desk when we checked out.

Our room was great, the girls decided that the younger 2 would sleep on the fold out couch and each of the older girls would get their own bed in the 2nd bedroom. They were happy. The space was great when we came back to the resort. We love not being pestered by service each day. Two downsides- the washer is LOUD- put a load in when you leave. And we heard water draining from upstairs units in the master plumbing. I would definitely stay here again for an Orlando trip that doesn't include Disney.

So why not for Disney? Because its highly inconvienant for US. We love the flexibility of Disney transportation. When we stay on property we usually drive to AK and sometimes DHS, so we're quite familiar with driving to parks. But we also like mid day breaks and due to my husbands back issues he had to leave earlier than us on 2 days. If we were on property he could have just hopped a bus. Instead we had to figure out if we all had to pack it in or what our options were. The first day he couldn't make it he took a cab- $20 plus tip from MK. The next day we prebought the shuttle pass. The $5 was cheaper, but when he did need to leave from Epcot he had to wait longer than for a Disney bus. He may have just missed one or one was late but it made it harder for him. Also when the girls and I stayed until park close at 10,11, it would have been much nicer to jump on a Disney bus. (And we usually stay at fort wilderness, so I'm including a second bus ride when I say it would have been easier for our family)
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I've stayed @ WBC 4 times. THe last stay was 1st week this past Oct.

Here are my pics & review:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ek-review.html

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Hoop Dee Doo Strawberry Shortcake recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #24
LetsDoDisney!
Mouseketeer

We stayed at WBC in May for the first time. It was ok, but not our favorite resort that we've stayed in.

We always stay offsite with a rental car and we honestly didn't care for the location. We like to stop at Dunkin' Donuts and Walmart and they weren't very near as WBC is inside the Disney complex or whatever you call it.

We didn't see any bugs, but my sister did have roaches in her unit. We had a broken bed in our unit which we couldn't seem to get fixed so DH and I ended up sleeping in separate beds so that no one had to sleep on the broken side of the king. Not really a problem for us to sleep apart, but really shouldn't have had to KWIM?

We didn't care for the pools either - they were very oddly set up and stuff. I can't describe it and make sense. The slides were never available when we went down either, they closed at 6. Hot tubs were nice though, and there were plenty of them so we weren't crowded.

If we got a really awesome deal we would stay again, but there are so many other nice resorts we want to try that we won't make it a point to stay here again. Reading the threads here about how great it is, we were just expecting too much I guess and were surprised at how "average" it was.

LetsDoDisney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #25
Fundytrail
Our 1988 Ticket

"Why are the reviews of Bonnet Creek not as good lately?"

The second half of the video at the link below may explain why

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26184891/vp/41755033#41755033

Let me say we stayed at BC last April and will return again in 2014, in short we LOVED BC!

Last edited by Fundytrail; 07-07-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added comment about our stay
Fundytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
shell8558
DIS Veteran

We were at Bonnet Creek last year - May 2012. We rented from vacation strategy and had a beautiful 3 bedroom unit in building 4 with a firework view. We had a wonderful stay with NO problems. ( FYI- the week before we checked in I called and requested the firework view)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
eandrsmom
Earning My Ears

We rented a 2 bedroom deluxe twice last year. The first time, we were in a refurbished unit with a lovely view of the lake. The room was quiet and parking was very convenient. It was off season, so the resort wasn't crowded at all. I recommended it to all of my friends. We loved it so much, that we rented again for July last year. It was a totally different experience. The room faced the pool area, which played loud music with a DJ until late in the evenings. It was very crowded, there were trash bags in the hallways. We were in an older tower with furniture that needed to be replaced. The "leather" sofa was peeling in large sections and looked nasty. There was a note in the unit explaining that it was a defect in the sofa, but it had been cleaned. Something went wrong with our magnetic keys twice during our 10 day stay, and I had to go down to the front desk area and wait in line while my family waited in the hallway in front of our room. (NOT fun when coming home from the Waterparks.) Parking in the evenings was difficult at best. We usually ended up on the top level of the parking garage. The garage is very hazardous. There were many times that people driving would speed through the garage. For safety, we ended up dropping off and picking up the kids in front of the tower and one of us would go get the car. Needless to say, we have booked a townhouse at Windsor Hills for our next trip. I am not a picky person. I have four kids, so things don't have to be perfect. I really think it depends on the unit/tower that you get and the time of year that you visit.
eandrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
disneyfreak7
Mouseketeer

Just stayed 10 nights in Tower 5 very last room in hallway. IT was wonderful. After staying in a Disney resort our last 10 trips and having to get 2 rooms, WBC will now be our place to stay! I requested firework view but all we could see was parking lot and typhoon lagoon/DTD. But I wasn't upset. We were never in our room during fireworks. Either in a park or in one of the pools. Our 5 kids loved WBC.

Me DH DS DD DS DS DD:
http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...crrvt3digw.png
disneyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundytrail View Post
"Why are the reviews of Bonnet Creek not as good lately?"

The second half of the video at the link below may explain why

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26184891/vp/41755033#41755033

Let me say we stayed at BC last April and will return again in 2014, in short we LOVED BC!
Watched the video.

I thought the biggest scam was the great vacation the producer, crew and talent billed to the network!

I wonder where they are working now?
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
disneycrazy01
Mouseketeer

Glad to see some honest reviews.

I leave on Tuesday and I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get a nice refurbished room.

I'm glad to see some honest reviews. I've been reading all the posts on this site about Bonnet Creek and there were way too many that just loved the resort. Very few complained about their rooms. After reading some of the posts on Tripadvisor I really wondered how honest the reviews were on this site.

At least there are some that said that they had a good trip and then another trip the room wasn't that great.
disneycrazy01 is offline   Reply With Quote