Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Dubrovnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaklang View Post

. . . Dubrovnik's main attraction is to walk atop the castle walls. It's a long walk, though you could stop and rest as often as you wanted. Other than that, it's just one main street - about the equivalent of 3-4 blocks - with smaller alleys (often hilly) going up.
We were on the same cruise as MandyGirl, and visited Dubrovnik earlier this month. We did the mile-long walk atop the city walls, which was vey scenic and wonderful. Just note that there are lots of steps, some without handrails.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
nxb
Earning My Ears

We just got back from the the eastern Med 12-day cruise. This was our first time in Athens, Kusadasi and Mykonos.

These are not ports listed by the OP, but the archaeological sites in all of these (Acropolis, Ephesus, Delos) have some tricky spots with slippery uneven marble paths and uneven stone stairs without hand-rails and could be an issue for anyone with mobility limitations. They all also require 1-2 miles of walking.
nxb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We were on the same cruise as MandyGirl, and visited Dubrovnik earlier this month. We did the mile-long walk atop the city walls, which was vey scenic and wonderful. Just note that there are lots of steps, some without handrails.

Woody
Good reminder - I had forgotten about all the steps. The walls are along the top of the castle so yes, it's a lot of climbing. It's been 7 years since my cruise (exactly... I was on the ship at the end of June!) and I still think about it all the time. It was an amazing trip!!
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
One thing to keep in mind that a lot of Europe is not covered by ADA laws. There are a lot of cobblestone roads and bathrooms are far and few in between.
Somewhat incorrect.... NONE of Europe is covered by ADA laws because American laws apply on American soil and not the rest of the world!

To the OP, many of the ports and cities you visit on a Med cruise have hundreds and hundreds (in many cases thousands) of years of history to them and as such were built before mobility aids were used so are not typically wheelchair friendly.

However, Europe is filled with a wide variety of people and approximately the same proportion of which are disabled or have mobility issues as in America (one would assume - I don't have exact demographic data to hand)

It is common place here in the UK and in many places on the continent to make every possible, practical effort to make sites accessible to all citizens including those with limited mobility. (We too have our own disability act) However there will no doubt be some areas where access is not possible - I'm thinking city walls in Dubrovnik, *some* parts of different cities featuring narrow windy cobblestone paths etc....

My suggestion would be that if it is viable for you to do private excursions in places like Rome then a driver will be able to get you up close to the main sites and to varying degrees (depending on how limited your mobility is) you can then go inside without expending valuable energy traipsing from place to place.

DCL tour information explains how much walking is involved in each tour so it may be possible to select excursions to suit this way.

I am sure you will have a wonderful trip, America is not alone in recognising the rights of people with differing abilities and I am sure you will find most Europeans keen to show you the very best of their countries.

Happy Travels!
Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post

. . . My suggestion would be that if it is viable for you to do private excursions in places like Rome then a driver will be able to get you up close to the main sites
Good advice. We've been on private tours in mini vans that go right up to the main entrances and other places that would be impossible for a 55-passenger motor coach to reach.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaklang View Post
Good reminder - I had forgotten about all the steps. The walls are along the top of the castle so yes, it's a lot of climbing. It's been 7 years since my cruise (exactly... I was on the ship at the end of June!) and I still think about it all the time. It was an amazing trip!!
Dubrovnik's city walls are just that - walls that surround the Old Town. They are not on top of a castle: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...qVg3JzR1qfM%3A If you plan to walk the walls, do so as soon as you arrive, as they get very crowded and hot as the day progresses.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: