Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #31
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Anecdotal evidence is the absolute weakest. People with experience with a LO with/without a stroller should be responding to this thread.

This evidence was not the case on our May cruise on the Dream. The room is almost always a hike away and you will need to bring things around the ship with you. Please be considerate of those individuals with LOs and understand it's not as easy to unload a stroller and pack it up on an elevator as it appears from your perspective. I don't leave my LO in the stroller to be inconsiderate and to imply so is just rude.
I am quite considerate. Made a request, not a demand (notice I said please?) and am not making assumptions whether is it "easy" or not. Didn't say it was. I said it was considerate.

Most of the time there aren't problems, most people don't use strollers and those that do are aware they take up a lot of space. Then there are those that say they need the entire elevator because they have one. However there have been a few cases of nasty behaviors and attitudes that have lead me to request that people be aware of others.

You are correct that on the Dream and the Fantasy things are much further away than on the Magic and the Wonder. The elevators are bigger too so they accommodate people a little better.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

87 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

I have no issue with the use of strollers on the ship, including in the elevators. If your kids needs it, your kid needs it. However, I do have an issue with parents leaving their strollers fully assembled in the hall outside their rooms. Maybe our experience wasn't typical, but on our deck on our most recent cruise, you could not walk to the midship elevators without encountering 3 or 4 strollers "parked" in the hall. With normal pedestrian traffic + the odd room steward's cart, making it down the hall became challenging. People walking one direction would have to wait several rooms down for the people walking the other way to clear the obstacles, and that was a common occurrence, not a rarity. I remember when my DD (now 10) was younger and in a stroller and I can appreciate the extra work required with a baby or toddler, but I do think that strollers should be in the room when not in use.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #33
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
Strollers are not very convenient on the ships because of small elevators, narrow hallways, and housekeeping carts. You will find many people don't bring them (and the rest of us thank them for that)! The ones that work the best are the the most basic sling types.

If you do bring it please oh please fold it up while you're in the elevators.
We are cruising on July and plan on bringing a stroller so that if our little one wants a quick nap I can lay him down and pull the sunshade over and no I don't plan on folding it up on the elevator or anywhere else. Use the stairs!!!
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #34
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
We are cruising on July and plan on bringing a stroller so that if our little one wants a quick nap I can lay him down and pull the sunshade over and no I don't plan on folding it up on the elevator or anywhere else. Use the stairs!!!
Guess you didn't read that I mentioned a few times that I am disabled (and sometimes in a wheelchair).

For able-bodied folks I encourage the use of the stairs. Now who is being rude?
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

87 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #35
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

I'll use our stroller if we need it. And if she's asleep we'll use an elevator for her while the rest of us use the stairs. I won't feel guilty, either. The footprint of our small stroller is no bigger than most adults.

momof2n2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #36
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

Guess you didn't read that I mentioned a few times that I am disabled (and sometimes in a wheelchair).

For able-bodied folks I encourage the use of the stairs. Now who is being rude?
No one is being ride. Just wanted to make sure I pointed out to the OP that YOU DO NOT NEED TO FOLD UP YOUR STROLLER in an elevator while on the ship. It's a Disney cruise prepare for kids, strollers, diaper bags etc.... Just the way I see it. Your initial assertion that others appreciate it when we fold up or don't bring our stroller is wrong. Maybe you do. To the OP I have cruised numerous time with a stroller and have never had an issue. Bring it as you would in normal everyday life. This is your vacation have fun and don't worry if someone has to wait an extra couple minutes to get in an elevator or wait an extra second to pass in a hall.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #37
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I have no issue with the use of strollers on the ship, including in the elevators. If your kids needs it, your kid needs it. However, I do have an issue with parents leaving their strollers fully assembled in the hall outside their rooms. Maybe our experience wasn't typical, but on our deck on our most recent cruise, you could not walk to the midship elevators without encountering 3 or 4 strollers "parked" in the hall. With normal pedestrian traffic + the odd room steward's cart, making it down the hall became challenging. People walking one direction would have to wait several rooms down for the people walking the other way to clear the obstacles, and that was a common occurrence, not a rarity. I remember when my DD (now 10) was younger and in a stroller and I can appreciate the extra work required with a baby or toddler, but I do think that strollers should be in the room when not in use.
That should be reported to guest services - strollers should be kept in the cabin, not in the hallway.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #38
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
No one is being ride. Just wanted to make sure I pointed out to the OP that YOU DO NOT NEED TO FOLD UP YOUR STROLLER in an elevator while on the ship. It's a Disney cruise prepare for kids, strollers, diaper bags etc.... Just the way I see it. Your initial assertion that others appreciate it when we fold up or don't bring our stroller is wrong. Maybe you do. To the OP I have cruised numerous time with a stroller and have never had an issue. Bring it as you would in normal everyday life. This is your vacation have fun and don't worry if someone has to wait an extra couple minutes to get in an elevator or wait an extra second to pass in a hall.
Hmm... I thought it was MY vacation, too. I think it's 100% possible for someone to enjoy their vacation and also be conscious and considerate of the fact that everyone else around them is on vacation as well.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #39
lorenni
Mouseketeer

We brought a MacLaren and an Ergo for our 20 month old last month and had no problem with either anywhere on the ship - elevators, hallways, stateroom. The stroller fit under the bed and we brought it primarily for the airport and the ports.

My elevator problems consisted primarily of my (walking) toddler feeling compelled to sing gangham style at top volume every time he stepped into the enclosed space - thank you to his 5 yr old cousin for that gem
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #40
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
...In my ten cruises I have seen very few people hauling a baby bag, a sippy cup, a stroller and a child around the ship. There is little need as the room is always a few steps away. Not many people use strollers on the ship and that's just a fact. You see them hauled on and you see them hauled off. You see them used for excursions. ...
Well there are many cruises and we have always seen many strollers both around the ship and in the elevators. So the things you experience on your cruises are not a fact for all cruises. If a stroller is loaded down like I noted it is likely that are heading off the ship on an excursion. It would be ridiculous to expect someone to unpack and fold up the stroller. It would take up just as much room pushing it around and having the child standing in place on the elevator with the bags on the adult's arm now taking up more space because they are sticking out from their side instead of being stowed underneath the seat. I have also seen them at the family pool when younger kids are taking a nap. People have posted here complaining about a kid being curled up on a lounger, so using a stroller for a child to nap is considerate of others.

I also want others who read this thread to see that people have used strollers on the ship and have not experienced any problems with doing so.

Quote:
I ...I do have an issue with parents leaving their strollers fully assembled in the hall outside their rooms. ....
I agree that this is a safety issue, just as leaving anything outside your door in the hallway is. It also gets in the way of the hosts while they are working and pushing their carts through the hall. We always folded it up and kept it in the corner of the room or the bathtub.

Quote:
...I think it's 100% possible for someone to enjoy their vacation and also be conscious and considerate of the fact that everyone else around them is on vacation as well.
I think the person was talking about simply getting around the ship with a stroller, not leaving them outside the door.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

I am confused as to why people who have strollers and kids have to be totally inconvenienced for the sake of someone else's convenience. Don't get me wrong, I am very aware of how much room a stroller can take up and I always let others pass in front of me and try to be as nice as possible when it comes to sharing public space, but if your kid is in a stroller there is a huge chance that parents also have a bag and things for the child so folding up a stroller and caring around a child a stroller and all the stuff would be very difficult and there is no reason other's should expect their space to be any more important than any one else's.

As far as the type of stroller...that should be up to the parents, regardless of how much space it may take up.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Yes I have brought a stroller on our cruises. 90% of the time it is folded and under the bed. I don't typically use it on the cruise but it is nice to have on certain excursions and for the airport. We also did a bonus day before and after the cruise at WDW and the stroller was definately needed then.

My observation is that the smaller the stroller the easier it is to navigate around the ship. In general the people that looked the most stressed were those trying to navigate with large double jogging type strollers around the ship.

There was one family on our last cruise that baffled me. I saw them frequently (many times a day) struggling with a large double stroller but the kids were never in the large double stroller. I often wondered why the bothered with the stroller at all but whatever you prefer to deal with is fine with me.

Even in our diaper days I personally never found the need to carry a ton of gear around the ship. At most I had a small bag with 1 diaper, some wipes and maybe a blanket in it. (along with my camera of course). If I needed more I could just pop down (or up) to the room to deal with it almost as easily as having it with me (it was frequently easier to change her in our room vs the bathrooms around the ship with a changing table for instance). I didn't use bottles though so I didn't have to carry those around with me. I also found it easier when my DD was on her first cruise (and 10 months old) to use a carrier for her instead of the stroller, but I don't like elevators to begin with and even without people on them, the ones on the ship make me feel claustrophobic so I try to avoid them at all costs.

I am hopeful to be completely stroller free for our next cruise (she will be 4 then) but we have a long walking tour planned around Ketchikan so I might bring the stroller just in case. We'll see how our walking plan goes this year. I will be weighing the pros and cons of the hastle of dealing with the stroller to the potential convenience of having it in Ketchikan when the time comes.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #43
Jerseymomof2
Mouseketeer

we brought our double stroller for our 2 boys but only used it in the airport and on excursions. we never needed it for on the ship. I say bring it if you don't need to use it there is room under the bed to store it. Better to have it and not need it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
liberty6201
Mouseketeer

I brought a double stroller for my boys and used it onboard. As someone else posted even to nap around the pool while their brother is still playing means not taking p a lounger. I used the stroller in the lift if I needed to and found people to be very accommodating. If you are on your own with 2 toddlers you can't always take then out and fold up the stroller. Yes if I could I would but just as I would wait for another buggy, wheelchair etc, if no room in the lift then surely others can wait for me if we are already there? I folded my umbrella style double buggy up and kept it in the cabin and had no issues at all space wise. Like I said I did use it on board but I also needed it for the airports and ports. It is a Disney ship, there will be buggies! Don't worry and enjoy your trip xxx
liberty6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #45
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
As far as the type of stroller...that should be up to the parents, regardless of how much space it may take up.
I agree, as long as the parents are prepared to store the stroller (especially the large ones) in their cabin
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: