Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Off to a great start... looking forward to your day by day play by play!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Majordis
Mouseketeer

I am really enjoying your report. Love your idea of sailing away
Majordis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone who is reading along!

Our luggage had been arriving piece by piece throughout the afternoon (so don't panic if all your bags don't arrive together all at one time). We unpacked as each arrived and then went to see the welcome aboard show in the Walt Disney Theatre. The show was ok, but it was our first time seeing our cruise director, Clayton ("Whose on Vacaaaation!" "We're on Vacation!) and his "vacation dance"!

We then went back to our room to get dressed for our first dinner at Enchanted Garden (we had late seating at 8:15). We saw our first towel animal!

We were seated at table six with four other people - two sister (one of whom was also a teacher) who were only 14 months apart and a mother and daughter (who used to be a teacher and principal)...so Disney did a good job in seating us with people with whom we had similarities and were very nice. We also met our head server Liam, our beverage server Maureen and our server....I can't remember his name! I'm sorry...I know it started with an L

Thyme and Garlic Brioche

Spinach and Raspberry Salad

Cream of Green Asparagus soup

Prime Rib

Some type of lemon pudding I think

After dinner, we headed back to our cabin for bed. The great thing about being in 2517 is that we never had a far walk from any of the rotational dinners or the theatre.

Last edited by amityisland; 06-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.
amityisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
RonningFamilyCrusin
Earning My Ears

Love all the pictures! That is what is missing in most trip reports. Keep up the good work and I eagerly look forward to the remainder of your pictures/report!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Some quick notes about things I may forget later on before we start into our first full sea day:

Confusion over Rainforest Day Passes: My DS had faxed in our requests for Rainforest Day Passes in the Senses Spa about a week before we left. When we got our ticket bundle in our room the first day (excursions, dining, etc.) they weren't there, so we went up to the Spa. They said they hadn't gotten the list for passes yet. Ok. The following day we still had not received them. This time we went to Guest Services. They wrote down our problem and said they would contact the Spa. Sometime that night, we got a note outside our door that we had to actually go up to the spa. So we did that the next day and instead of a ticket, they put little stickers on the back of our Key cards. They also asked what day we were specifically coming. We were like, "I don't know..sometime...it's a day pass, do we really have to pick a specific time and day?" So they just wrote down "anyday" on the stickers. It wasn't that big a deal, but kind of annoying. They acted like we had to have appointments set up to use the day passes and I had never read about that before.

Seasickness (or lack thereof):
We never experienced sea sickness...the movement of the boat took a little getting used to (you could really tell the first night...we were watching the curtain sway in the theatre before the show but it never really bothered us. Of course, like the good little planner she is, my DS had read about taking Bonine before you get on the boat...so we each had a chewable Bonine each morning of the cruise (and the Friday before we left).

"I didn't buy that, you did":
We had a little confusion over one purchase. Now I know we look alike and our names are very similar, but my DS purchased the photo CD with her Keycard and not me. Well, when we went to pick it up on our last morning, the new receipt suddenly had my name on it. The lady at Shutters assured us that is was charged to DS's card, but we decided to go to Guest Services to check it out. Sure enough, it was on my bill and not hers. Now it really wasn't a big deal since I was going to give her money for half of it later....but I was using a debit card on my account and what if I hadn't had enough money in my account? As those of you who bought the CD know, it's quite a charge and it was a little worrying that this happened. It took a little bit of explaining to the woman at Guest Services what we wanted fixed ("No, take it off mine, put in on hers, and reverse the charge on mine), but we got a printout with the correct information. It was a relief when the money was put back on my card this Monday. PS. I'll write you the check this weekend, DS

Last edited by amityisland; 06-26-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
amityisland
Mouseketeer

First Sea Day:

We started our first today by getting up too early (at least for me). This turned out to be a recurring theme on the trip...maybe DS was still on work time

But we were up and ready to take some picures in the lobby. It was around 7:30 am so it was really quiet and peaceful.

The Outlook Bar in the Lobby...keeping with the lobby peacock theming

The Lobby is so beautiful...I miss it already.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
amityisland
Mouseketeer

notice the little crowns around the top of the chandelier?

Royal Court was open almost every day for sit down breakfast at 8am. We both prefer sit down over buffet so we got our first look inside Royal Court (we also had sit down lunch at Royal Court on several occasions so we go to know this restaurant very well - I'm glad we ate there the most; I thought it was the most beautiful of the rotational restaurants).

the view

Ok, I admit it, I love chandeliers

Ok, I don't remember the exact name of this, but it was a blended yogurt/strawberry/granola thing and it was delicious! We had it everytime we ate breakfast at Royal Court. It was blended really thin, so you could drink it or eat it with a spoon...not sure which is the proper etiquette

DS's breakfast of Pineapple Stacked French Toast. She liked it but the first day she thought the bacon tasted weird...but on following days she said it was fine.

My breakfast of waffle/french toast/pancake combo...and the bacon tasted fine to me

See...another chandelier!

I loved the tilework murals...reminded me of the inside of Cinderella's castle at WDW.

The coach light fixtures
Old 06-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
amityisland
Mouseketeer

More Royal Court Pictures:

We then went upstairs and got our pictures with this guy:

Last edited by amityisland; 06-26-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
amityisland
Mouseketeer

It was almost time for our 9:30am Art of the Theme tour. We were told to wait in the Meridian lounge between Remy and Palo:

The check-in area for Remy and Palo

the chandelier of blown glass for Palo

Still a little early in the morning for me

On the bar in Meridian they had welcome in different languages

Next: the Art of the Theme Tour with CM Anthony

Last edited by amityisland; 06-26-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Oh, also forgot to mention our room host, Axton. We saw him once at the beginning of the cruise and a couple of time later in the hallway. He did a great job cleaning up our room and turning the couch into a bed!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
pixiedust1125
Mouseketeer

Loving the report so far-cant wait for more
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #27
amityisland
Mouseketeer

At 9:30am our Art of the Theme guide Anthony arrived in Meridian Lounge. I think there were about 18 people on the tour. We started off in Remy....where Anthony pointed out how the little stools were for womens' purses and the little crystal Remy on the ceiling. He also pointed out lots of other little details in Remy and we took some pictures:

The Gusteau room in Remy's:

Last edited by amityisland; 06-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
amityisland
Mouseketeer

We then went down to Europa - the adult bar/nightclub area themed after European regions. Anthony shared a fun fact that in the London scene in the Skyline bar, the projected people you see walking were designed by the developers to look like Jedi! Obi-Wan even has an apartment and you can see Mickey Mouse waving from a window!

Skyline bar:

Outside of the London themed Tube nightclub:

Inside Ooh La La- the French themed bar. If you turn the chair upside down
it's supposed to represent a Can-Can Dancer's skirt:

In the La Piazza bar:

It was a fun tour and Anthony pointed out other great details about the ship that I have promptly forgotten

As we left, we saw the first Princess gathering of the cruise in the lobby:

Next, back to La Piazza for some Disney Trivia!

Last edited by amityisland; 06-27-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #29
amityisland
Mouseketeer

After the tour we went back to La Piazza for Disney Trivia!

The restrooms near La Piazza:

CM Kelly (from the U.K.) and CM Leo administered the Disney trivia.

And our team won with a score of 22/25! Our prizes were Disney Cruise Line water bottles.

I think this day we ate lunch at Cabanas. Then we went to the animation class in the D-Lounge given by....CM Anthony again!

DS hard at work on drawing Mickey:

Our Mickeys turned out ok, but our Donalds seemed to have jaw dislocation problems

We still had time before the Aladdin show, so we walked around deck 4
and took some more pictures:

After that, we headed down to O'Gills do to some more trivia...this time 50's and 60's music trivia. My DS left a little early cause she thought we might miss Aladdin (we didn't...we made it on time). So I finished up the trivia with another couple....and won again! This time we won a pair of Disney cruise line earbuds. I then hurried over to the theatre to join DS in seeing Aladdin.

Last edited by amityisland; 06-27-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
amityisland
Mouseketeer

We then went to see Aladdin in the Walt Disney Theatre. We both really
enjoyed the show...the "Whole New World" scene was very cool and it was
neat to see the "nerdy dad" from yesterday's show as "Jafar" in this show.
That was part of the fun of seeing the shows...spotting who is playing who
on certain nights.

Tonight was formal night. We had reservations at Palo tonight, but got dressed
up a little early so we could get formal pictures (tip: if you're going to stand in
line to get formal pictures, make sure you really test out your nice shoes
beforehand. DS thought the shoes she bought were ok, but after standing in some lines and walking around the ship, she never wanted to see those shoes again

Some formal pictures:

At 6:30pm, we went up to Meridian and checked in for our reservations at 7pm for Palo:

Our server at Palo was Ivan from Hungary. He was very nice and attentive. When we told him we were coming back for Palo brunch later in the week, he said he'd request us as a table and sure enough, we had him as a server again

Now, we were kinda self conscious about taking food pictures at a fancy restaurant (don't worry, we got over that fear when we ate at Remy's - there will be lots of food pictures there), but we did get pictures of our dessert...the chocolate souffle of course!

A nice CM was walking around taking pictures of diners at Palo (funny, they didn't have any photographers at Remy's...oh well) and it wound up being one of my favorite pictures taken of DS and I on the cruise:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: