Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

A Hop, NO Skip, and Many Mishaps to a Disney Dream!

Hello all! We just got back from a fabulous “Dream” trip on the Disney Dream, along with a stay at Residence Inn, Cape Canaveral, Pop Century at WDW, and Residence Inn near Sea World, with a few park visits to Magic Kingdom, Sea World and Epcot!

The dates of this trip were March 30th to April 6th.

Let’s get started with the introductions of who was SUPPOSED to go on this trip.

Me~ Jennifer~ The mom of 3 LOVELY Children (though they are not always lovely at the same time…or even all the time) I am a very BIG Disney fan and am always trying to think of a way to get there!

Skip~ My Wonderful husband of almost 9 years. He is a good dad, and he even puts up with my passion for Disney…though usually with a lot of eye rolling.

Claire~ a 6 year old girl who loves Disney very much and was very excited to take her first Cruise, as well as seeing and dressing like the Princesses.

My 2 other children are now adults and did not travel with us nor really want to for the most part. They are Michael and Paige.

As the title will tell you, we had a few mishaps, and there was a cast change…more on that in a bit.

Now for a little background info…….history. It is a little long, but I promise, I have a ton of pictures to post after all of this!

This is one of those trips that I thought just never would happen…I know, you’ve heard it all before, but HONESTLY, it really took a LONG time to get to this point.

We have gone to Disney with Claire in March of 2007, 2008 and 2009. I really wanted to go again in 2010. Skip had had a hip replacement in late 2009 and just was not ready to go back in early 2010. But believe me, I tried to convince him all the same. Claire and I then came up with the plan that we should go for her 6th birthday in December. Skip said he would think about it. Through out the year, we got a lot of “some days”, “we’ll sees”, and “maybes”.
In the mean time, Skip was still having troubles with his hip and had been sent to several different Drs…all of them claiming to have no clue what was wrong with him.
In Oct Skip started talking more about a possible Dec. trip. We had dates set, and places we want to go, etc.
Then he threw a wrench in my plans. “How much does a Disney cruise cost?”…. I was shocked! I had tried to convince him to do this in 2009 for my 40th birthday, but when it came down to it, he decided he would rather go to WDW. He had worries about a cruise with a little one with us.
I did some quick pricing, and the price for 3 nights on the Wonder, along with a few nights at WDW were almost the same as 7 nights at WDW. Before making it a done deal, Skip had one more Dr’s appointment he wanted to attend and see what was determined. This was with his hip Dr. who had claimed all year long that nothing was wrong with the hip.
Things totally changed this day. The Dr found that the implant had never adhered to the bone and the replacement was going to need to be replaced. It was scheduled for Dec 6th….2 days before we had planned to leave for our vacation.
Plans then were postponed and we decided we would go in March and still be able to catch the free dining. (I must note that even though we agreed on this, Skip sometimes doesn’t listen to me and just agrees anyways).
Mid January rolls around, Skip seems to be healing well, and I mention that we have to have Disney paid for soon to be able to get the free dining. Skip goes in panic mode and says, he doesn’t care about saving money (yeah right) and he would rather go in May now, but he WOULD NOT commit to any dates. Let’s just say that I wasn’t happy, and for a few days there wasn’t much talking going on at all in our house.

A few days later, Skip mentions he has called a Travel Agent and has looked at possibly going on the Disney Dream or going to Disneyland in CA. My job then, was to spend lots of hours on the computer pricing several scenarios, we chose the 3 night Dream, with a few added park days.
FINALLY a trip is booked!

Last edited by jenseib; 04-15-2011 at 12:24 PM.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

A little cruising history~
I have been on two cruises in my life prior to this trip, both on NCL. I really enjoyed it. It is also the only kind of cruise experience I have ever known, so I couldn’t compare it to other lines. Skip also sailed once on NCL with me. We both liked the free style dining. What would I think of Disney?

They are SUPERIOR!

Now for a few mishaps….
On Feb 26th, Skip’s brother broke his leg. They are business partners of our Dairy Farm, and one need to be able to work at all times. Skip was slightly worried, but then figured his brother would be just fine in a months time. After all Skip had his hip replaced and was back to work in 2 weeks.
All seemed to be looking good.
30 days before we set sail…….. March 1. In celebration of being in our travel month, I gave Claire a little gift bag of goodies.
She got Poppy Jr...which she loves. She is obsessed with Chihuahua 2 movie and watches it daily. So this was a perfect gift. She briefly lost him on a mall trip and I thought the world might end if we didn’t find him, but luckily we did!

And a Mickey head watch that you can wear like a necklace

She is learning to tell time now, so I thought it would be nice to take on the trip.

And a book with info about each Disney character

She was very excited and enjoyed these gifts. She also worked on a Countdown calendar daily, adding a new sticker each day till the day of our flight!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

On to March 16, a Wednesday.
Skip comes into the house from working and says he doubts very much his brother will be able to even walk in the next two weeks. He tells me to ask Paige if she would like to go along in his place. I was upset, of course, but what could we do? I called Paige and she wanted to go REALLY badly. BUT she had just started 2 new jobs about a week or 2 earlier and she was in school as well. After a day of thinking it over she did the responsible thing and said she couldn’t go.
I called my Mom and asked if she would like to come. I wasn’t sure if she could because she had just come home from Vegas the Sat. before.
She cleared her work schedule and OK’d it with her boss and by Friday she was on the reservation to take Skips place.

New Cast member….. Mom!

But there was a kink still in the plans. Dad wanted to go as well. We gave DCL a call and were told that the ship was at capacity. After some talking and playing around with the airlines and a few more calls, we made a decision. Dad was going to fly down with us and stay with us at the Residence Inn one night. He would then drop us off at the Port and go on to Kennedy Space Center for the day, then head over to his sisters home in the Villages (about 2 hours away) for the next 3 nights. He would then come back and pick us up from the Port and join us for the park days.

Next New cast Member…Dad!

So the plans are all set. Nothing is allowed to go wrong from here on out!

Of course we do have a few mishaps along the way, but we have fun!

I have to tell you of a mishap right up front though….this one affects the trip report. This was the final mishap of the trip, and I didn’t even know it had happened till the day we got home. I LOST an SD card from my point and shoot camera. I take a LOT of pictures. I took 3 cameras on this trip.I think I have over 2000 even without the lost card, so I have plenty of pictures to show you all. BUT there is a few times where I had used this camera with this card in it for a couple of hours solely, so sadly there will be a few spots with some missing pictures.
I have made several calls to every lost and found number I could find, but no one has been able to locate the card.

On to the fun!!!!

Last edited by jenseib; 01-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I have updates on my blog as well if you want to read it there, and other real life events

My blog

I also would like to invite you to read my other current Reports.

So This is What a Dream Tastes Like

Disney Snob Does Cedar Point

March 30, 2011

Day1 The flight

Day 1 the Drive and Fish Lips

Day 1 Residence Inn and evening

March 31, 2011

Day2 Early morning dream

everyone wakes up

Arriving at Terminal

Meeting Mickey, Seeing the Dream

almost there

All aboard!

lunch at Cabanas

the room

Nassau shopping talk

Pluto Meet

sail away party

sailing away

Golden Mickeys 1

Golden Mickeys 2

Golden Mickeys 3

Golden Mickeys 4

Golden Mickeys 5

The photoshoot

Enchanted Garden arrival

Enchanted Garden

Shopping and Exploring

Late night Swim and off to Bed

April 1, 2011

Day 3 Bright and early Morning

Shots around the ship

Shots pulling into port

More shots of pulling into port

Blue Lagoon 1

Blue Lagoon 2

Blue Lagoon 3

Princess meet and greet

More Princesses

detective agency

Agency map

Shots from Verandah

Villains Tonight

Villains 2

Pirates IN the Caribbean party

Pirate shots and dinner

Royal Palace

More pirate pictures

Buccaneer Blast

April 2nd, 2011

Early riser

morning photos

More morning pictures

Sunrise

Castaway Cay in sight!

Castaway Cay and mine mine

1st Island Character

A visit with Beach Minnie

Beach Mickey

Castaway Beach

Aqua Duck Fun

Cookies Too

tube fun

Believe

Believe2

Donalds rear end

Animator's Palate

Animator's Palate 2

Last evening on the Dream

Last edited by jenseib; 06-25-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

April 3, Sunday

Leaving the Dream

Note of the day

Arriving at Pop Century

Arriving at MK

Making our way to Spalsh Mountain

Splash Mountain Line

The Plunge

Off to see Pirates

A meet With Tiana

More Tiana Meet

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

BBB 2

BBB 3

The Big Reveal

The Photo Shoot

CRT

CRT 2

Flying Carpets

Lots of castle shots

Main Street Electrical Parade

MSEP 2

Tomorrowland

Pooh and Snow White

Best Character Meet Ever!

Small World 1

Small World 2

Late night in Fantasyland

Haunted Mansion and Donald

The Sword in the Stone

Leaving Magic Kingdom

April 4, Monday

A walk around Pop

Breakfast at 1900 PF

Meeting Mary Poppins

Finishing up at Grand Floridian

No Power at the Inn

Clyde, Seamore and Dolphins

Dolphin Show

Dolphin Feeding

Shamu

The Big Bad Boy

Cheesecake Factory

April 5, Tuesday

A slow start to Epcot

Spaceship Earth

the seas

figment

Le Cellier and Mary Poppins

An Unexpected Dis Meet

A Meet with Marie

Sand Sculptures

Pick a Pearl

Topiaries Around the World

Touring Around the World

Test Track and Dooney Temptation

Illuminations and Drama

April 6, Wednesday

Time to go home

The Flight, The End

Last edited by jenseib; 09-22-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Hooray! You've started! I can't wait to hear all of the details.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Here!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Hooray! You've started! I can't wait to hear all of the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Here!
YAY!! You guys are fast. I figured Janet would be first!

Welcome!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Normangirls
DIS Veteran

Present!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
YAY!! You guys are fast. I figured Janet would be first!

Welcome!!!!
LOL! The washer repair guy is here and my path to the computer was blocked!

He's off to get a new pump and I should be doing laundry again by tonight. So how sad is it that I'm quite excited by that news???????????

Clearly I need to escape into your trip report!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normangirls View Post
Present!
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
LOL! The washer repair guy is here and my path to the computer was blocked!

He's off to get a new pump and I should be doing laundry again by tonight. So how sad is it that I'm quite excited by that news???????????

Clearly I need to escape into your trip report!
Hey! I cried over a lost cell phone...I totally understand! But you just need to push him out of the way so you can get to your computer!!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Hooray you started
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

Hello! I am on board! Can't wait to hear about the trip!
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: