Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

Disney Magical Express Bus crash leaves one dead

1 dead following Disney World bus crash Associated Press Aug 16, 2013 9:48 p.m. A woman is dead following a bus crash near Walt Disney World's Epcot theme park. The Florida Highway Patrol reports that a Disney's Magical Express bus rear-ended a car Friday afternoon. Witnesses said the car stopped in the middle of the road, and the bus was unable to brake. According to a police report, the 63-year-old woman who had been driving the car was taken to Celebration Health in Kissimmee. She was later pronounced dead. The highway patrol wasn't immediately identifying the victim. The bus was carrying 36 passengers. Two others were hospitalized with minor injuries. No charges were immediately filed. Disney's Magical Express is a complimentary shuttle service that transports guests between the airport and the resort. It is operated by Mears Transportation. Disney said in a statement that the company is providing support to the passengers on the bus. Mears says it is cooperating fully with the highway patrol. Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Oh how awful! Terribly sad all around.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
kmac2384
Earning My Ears

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often. The driving on property is bordering on NYC aggressive because no one knows where they are going. The last time I was there I saw someone taking a picture of that Tower of Terror billboard on the entranceway in and out of WDW It doesn't sound tourist related but its a wonder that this is not a daily occurrence. It's a shame.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
the who #3
DIS Veteran

Smile accident

so sorry this happened.

i love the magical express and use it on every trip to disney. i travel alone and this is the safest way from the airport.

i have driven to disney myself in the past and understand the reason cars slow down and change lanes often to find their way. maybe the speed limits there should be lower.

i also understand why a driver in that area for the first time would want to look around a bit. altho dangerous.
the who #3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

[QUOTE="the who #3;49310710"i also understand why a driver in that area for the first time would want to look around a bit. altho dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Except it was a Cast Member this time...

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#se.../p2p-77058579/
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
marie049
Earning My Ears

I'M going to be at Disney World in 2 wks and will be driving while I'm there, really nervous about the stories i have heard about the drivers, has anyone had any good experiences driving around Disney/Orlando?
marie049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
baylakebisi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie049 View Post
I'M going to be at Disney World in 2 wks and will be driving while I'm there, really nervous about the stories i have heard about the drivers, has anyone had any good experiences driving around Disney/Orlando?
We drive from NY every year and never had any problems driving around the resort or the Orlando area. We love driving the roads in and around wdw. I don't see any aggressive driving on the roads, even for this hardened New Yorker. Car accidents happen everyday with tragic results and it heightens our sensitivity when it happens at a place of happiness and fun. Enjoy the drive, I would be more worried about getting thru the Virginia traffic, if you are coming thru that state on your way to disney.
baylakebisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie049
We also drive all over WDW, haven't been on 1 of their buses in years, with NO problem. Usually I, not DH, drives and the roads there are less crowded and better signed than pretty much anywhere. You will be fine.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
marie049
Earning My Ears

thanks so much for the input! it really made me feel better and relaxed!
marie049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
old lady
DIS Veteran

I felt sorry for that poor woman.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by old lady
I felt sorry for that poor woman.
Agreed. It is a very sad story, but I also feel sorry for the bus driver(and passengers), I wouldn't have wanted to be on or driving that bus.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Honestly I can't stand driving in Orlando.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
We also drive all over WDW, haven't been on 1 of their buses in years, with NO problem. Usually I, not DH, drives and the roads there are less crowded and better signed than pretty much anywhere. You will be fine.
Same here. Almost a quarter century driving around WDW and no problems. We find the signage to be good and the roads are less crowded than here at home. Just concentrate on your driving and you'll be fine. The problems, like most things on boards like this, tend to be exaggerated because people are more likely to post when things go wrong rather than when things go right.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Same here. Almost a quarter century driving around WDW and no problems. We find the signage to be good and the roads are less crowded than here at home. Just concentrate on your driving and you'll be fine. The problems, like most things on boards like this, tend to be exaggerated because people are more likely to post when things go wrong rather than when things go right.
Agreed.

Quite frankly, I hate driving in WDW as well, however for other reasons than mentioned here, I believe. Since I pretty much drive for a living, I can't relax when I'm driving...so I can't wait to get out of the car and let someone else drive for a change.

Being only 23 and 10 hours away from home, that's a bit on the stressful side as well, of course...and my GPS being not worth a darn as soon as I enter that gate doesn't help either (curse my generation and our reliance on technology). To make it as easy as possible (for the entire traveling time, for that matter...) I get my wife to focus on signs and I focus on the road. That way she can be reading the lists of resorts on the signs and telling me how to get to ours. Though I will say Animation was one of the hardest things I've ever had to find.

Regardless, Polydweller is right. It's exaggerated because we're all trying to think back of our worth experiences...but in reality, I could whine about the same things about my drive to work every day. Put into perspective, from our long trek from southern Virginia to Orlando Florida, Disney's roads are probably the easiest part.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
lmhidd
Earning My Ears

This a terribly sad situation for the woman's family as well as the bus driver and the passengers that witnessed it however I still don't fully understand what happened why did she stop if that's what she did

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Fort Wilderness camping Feb 2012
Port Orleans Riverside Sep 2013
lmhidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: