Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
tsaucedo
Earning My Ears

Shuttle from PC to MCO

Do you guys know the best ( most economical) shuttle to take from Port Vanaveral back to MCO?
tsaucedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Not sure about a shuttle but what about a one way car rental from the Port to MCO?

We are renting one way from MCO to the Port, dropping the car off, spending the night at hotel and after leaving ship will take the Disney bus back to WDW. Seems to be the most economical for us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

How many people in your party? If its just 2 it is probably least expensive (and easiest) to just take the DCL bus. If its more than 2 then renting a car (2 one-way rentals) and driving to/from the port may come out cheaper.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaucedo View Post
Do you guys know the best ( most economical) shuttle to take from Port Vanaveral back to MCO?
Depends on how many people. If just 2 then I agree that DCL transfers are the easiest. Cost is $35 pp. If you qualify to take part in the Onboard Airline Check in Program it is very convenient to take the DCL transfers from the Port back to MCO.

DCL checks you in for your flight
DCL prints your boarding pass
DCL delivers your printed boarding pass and airline luggage tags directly to your cabin
DCL takes care of your bags from the ship to your home airport
You only have to worry about your carryons which you will take on the bus with you (luggage will be transported separately).

Here is all the info on the Onboard Airline Check In program:

Onboard Airline Check-In

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line.

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:
• Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship.
• Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
• Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1. Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line and sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in for your cruise at the port.
2. On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will magically be delivered to your stateroom, along with a letter answering common questions you may have.
3. Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver your luggage to your airline.
4. When you arrive at Orlando International Airport, proceed to security with your boarding passes already in hand and continue on to your scheduled departure gate.

Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:25 a.m. On the day your cruise ends. Guests are limited to 2 bags per person and each piece must not exceed 50 lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

For more information, please call (800) 951-3532. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

So, if you meet the conditions it is a VERY convenient way to get back to MCO.
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

When do you have to make reservations for the DCL buses to take you to PC?
And does the DCL bus take you to WDW after your cruise? I imagine it does as Ive seen DCL buses pulling up to the resorts. Is it the same price to go to a WDW resort as it is to go to MCO? Also does anyone know if there is a charge to rent a car from PC and return it to MCO?

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o* View Post
And does the DCL bus take you to WDW after your cruise? I imagine it does as Ive seen DCL buses pulling up to the resorts. Is it the same price to go to a WDW resort as it is to go to MCO? Also does anyone know if there is a charge to rent a car from PC and return it to MCO?
You can add DCL transfers to your reservation at any time, but I believe you have to call.

DCL does transfer from port to WDW resorts (or WDW to port pre-cruise) - not directly to the parks, though. Same price as MCO - $35 per person each way.

Some rental agencies MAY charge a one-way rental fee from port to MCO. However, search around because you should be able to find something without the fee. In my experience, good rental deals seem to come out about 6-8 weeks prior to need and not much earlier.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o* View Post
AFAIK, you need to make DCL transfer reservations 3 days prior to start of cruise. But, I'm not sure, you might be able to just walk up and purchase them at the airport.

Yes DCL transfers go to WDW resorts. The cost is $35.00 per person.

Sorry, can't help with car rental question. We always take DCL transport.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
SpectroMagic*o*

Thank you for your answers!!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
seselby83
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if southwest participates in the check in on board program. I don't see the name on the list but AirTran is and I thought the two airlines were connected. Might make a difference for us heading back to the airport if we could skip the bags piece. Can you send your bags with the check in program but not pay for the DCL shuttle?
seselby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seselby83 View Post
Does anyone know if southwest participates in the check in on board program. I don't see the name on the list but AirTran is and I thought the two airlines were connected. Might make a difference for us heading back to the airport if we could skip the bags piece. Can you send your bags with the check in program but not pay for the DCL shuttle?
Southwest is not a participant in the Onboard Airline Checkin program.

I've read that some have been able to send their bags on the DCL transfer without actually taking the transfer, but it still has a cost.

I've also read where DCL has said that at least one person from a party must travel on the transfers with the bags.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Depends on how many people. If just 2 then I agree that DCL transfers are the easiest. Cost is $35 pp. If you qualify to take part in the Onboard Airline Check in Program it is very convenient to take the DCL transfers from the Port back to MCO.

DCL checks you in for your flight
DCL prints your boarding pass
DCL delivers your printed boarding pass and airline luggage tags directly to your cabin
DCL takes care of your bags from the ship to your home airport
You only have to worry about your carryons which you will take on the bus with you (luggage will be transported separately).

Here is all the info on the Onboard Airline Check In program:

Onboard Airline Check-In

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line.

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:
• Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship.
• Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
• Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1. Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line and sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in for your cruise at the port.
2. On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will magically be delivered to your stateroom, along with a letter answering common questions you may have.
3. Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver your luggage to your airline.
4. When you arrive at Orlando International Airport, proceed to security with your boarding passes already in hand and continue on to your scheduled departure gate.

Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:25 a.m. On the day your cruise ends. Guests are limited to 2 bags per person and each piece must not exceed 50 lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

For more information, please call (800) 951-3532. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

So, if you meet the conditions it is a VERY convenient way to get back to MCO.
I agree!
We find it so convenient that even being a family of 4 we don't mind paying a little extra to be able to use this service. We've tried the rental car method & found it a PITA to deal with dragging our luggage on & off shuttles, waiting in line, cramming all the bags in the trunk, unloading & checking bags at MCO. It's just not a nice way to end a very relaxing vacation & not worth the little bit of savings. jmho
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
ALCooper3
Mouseketeer

I've been checking into the cost of shuttles too and am thinking we will rent a car instead. We plan on flying in the day before and will use the car for driving around that day before we go to our hotel. We will return the car the next morning and then go to the port. Most of the rental places will drop you off and pick you up at port when you return. This is about the same cost if not a little less than the shuttle service (3 people) for us.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
mordecai
Mouseketeer

I've posted this in a number of threads. We've had good experience with a car service called Bond Motors. http://www.bondmotorco.com/

They are family owned, have good English speaking drivers and the rate is better for multiple people round trip than the Disney shuttle. Still may be better to simply rent a car. YMMV
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
SpectroMagic*o*

I am very accustomed to how the Magical Express works, is DCL bus at all similar?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by seselby83 View Post
The Onboard Airline program perk of handling your bags is for people who purchase the DCL transfers and take part in the program....you can't use the program for just the bags.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: