Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #181
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Done serve backpacker meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickprincess View Post
Wow there's some really picky people on this thread. The only restaurant I would not go back to is the sci fi dine in that meal was not good greasy onion rings my chicken Caesar salad I was swimming in dressing the place is dark . Hey very depressing restaurant I would never eat here again I just want to say but I try not to put too much stock in dining reviews because the restaurant could have had an off night or a cast members wasn't feeling the magic 101 different things have gone wrong that night I don't understand why Tony's always gets a bad review if its really so bad. Then we should write to Disney Dining and let them know if you all in all I just wanted to say that 1 person likes one restaurant another person hates the same restaurant we all have different tastes different likes I'm going in Sept and I'm going to have a great time because I'm not a picky person I'm not a picky eater and if I ever had kids they would be picky eaters either
Soooo agree. The reasons given for not liking a place to eat are amusing. Too many people, tables too close. OK GO BACPACKING and enjoy being alone with miles of room. Take along a dehydrated meal just add boiling water. It's cheap too and after a long hot trek tastes great. If you are hungry enough, you will eat...period. Who made you into royalty? If the CM talks it up and hovers they get nailed for it opposite and they get nailed for it. Tell ya what? Go backpacking next vacation THEN compare all your ADRs to that. WDW is not a prison. Call a taxi and eat where you think there is the perfect meal. No one mentions how great it is not to have to wash the dishes.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #182
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

I do find what people don't like to be interesting. We purchased the standard DDP last Dec. for the first week of the month. We had the following:

MK-Crystal Palace for lunch- told we would have a 20 min. wait on our ADR, got us in at about 5 minutes. Characters came to our tables several times and worked the room very methodically. Our server, I think his name was Eduardo, was great on refilling and bussing away plates. Had a great time.

EP-Biergarten for lunch-seated with a nice family at our ADR time, this was right at lunch opening and it was fairly busy, the buffet was poorly laid out causing really long lines. I thought food was bland, but DD and DW loved it. Great show and server was so-so. I wouldn't go back, because I like food spicy and this typical German fare. That part is my preference, not the restaurant's fault.

AK-Tusker House for dinner-seated at the time of our ADR, the server was friendly and perfectly adequate. I love smoked salmon and ate a pound of it off the buffet. This was a very good experience.

HS-H&V for lunch- The buffet was mostly sandwiches and salads, but I like that for lunch, if you don't, you won't like this place. The server was friendly and adequate, I can't remember his name but believe he said he was from the Philippines. The characters came to all the tables methodically. Another good experience.

Now, we went at one of the slowest times of the year and places were still fairly busy. I wonder if many of the negative comments are from those whose vacations were over Easter, Christmas, or the summer holidays. I can't imagine what these places are like at those times.

We're going back at the end of September, another slower time, this year with a free DDP. We have on our list:

CRT dinner
Boma dinner
H&V Fantasmic Pkg. lunch
Cape May dinner
Akershus lunch
Tusker House dinner

We like Tusker House and H&V enough to go back. Several, if not all of these, got some very negative comments in this thread. I'll see what happens this time around.
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #183
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

WHEW! Just read all 13 pages of this thread. There does seem to be a few that make a consistent list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillinwonderland View Post
Narcoossee's. Maybe we went on an off night but our server was the worst (so rude) and the food was the worst of the trip. I know it's blasphemy to say this but that's my two cents.

We were underwhelmed by Narcoosee's as well. The surf and turf was ok. I expected it to be fantastic! The steak was a bit dry (we usually order MR or Med) and seafood a bit overdone. The service was efficient and polite. Desserts and apps were very good. I kind of had a "been there, done that" feeling afterward. I wouldn't refuse to go there again, just would prefer to try other venues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate View Post
I would ask people to not read too much into reviews. Restaurants can have an off day and there are simply different tastes.
Exactly. I try to read most reviews with some perspective and to try and get specifics, but often you can't. You really have to see for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
I think it would be more helpful, perhaps, if people said what food they got at each restaurant that they didn't like..
THIS! Good advice. It's the particulars of the food that are priority to me. Surly service is a very close second. Rotten service can sometimes trump good food. Having been a server in a fine dining restaurant, I can be a bit more critiqu-ing However, there are things that are not the server's, but the kitchen's, fault. Again, what was it about your dish that was awful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
Well we eat in Disney at least 2-4 times per month and there are only a few places I won't return.
1 Hollywood and vine dinner but breakfast was good
2. Tony's was awful and my husband will eat anything
3. 1900 Park Fare both dinner and the characters were terrible
4. Chef Mickeys food is horrible but you go there for the characters so unless it is a birthday request we dont eat here for dinner only breakfast.

What shocked me was the hate for Ohana I have never had a bad meal there. I liked LeCellier food but the prices are insane now. Otherwise it seemed on par for the most part.
Those 4 seem to flood these posts along with Cellier

I have a tendency AWAY from Italian restaurants on vacation. When you have a 1st gen Italian-American family, you get persnickety about your Italian dishes and I'm a self-professed pizza snob. So, I won't go, as a general rule. Secondly, I view the dining at Disney as a convenience. Let's face it, the on premise restaurants keep you in the parks. I don't want to get in my car/taxi, whatever, and leave the parks to find "more stellar" dining and then return. That would be a hassle to me. Maybe that makes me more forgiving of the sometimes lackluster dishes we've encountered?

I will say, we have not had anything absolutely wretched. I've long ago resigned myself to the fact that the resort CS breakfasts are simply sustenance, to me. Does nobody in the World know how to cook eggs without them being mushy/squishy? The potatoes are always undercooked, as is the bacon, and the waffles are hard and cold. Sorry, that's a breakfast travesty and I avoid those breakfast platters like the plague. I'll stick with the create your own oatmeal...can't really mess that up!

Unlike others, I've had good experiences at Rainforest (only breakfast) great coffee, great stuffed french toast, great bacon, great way to start my AK day. Our last 'Ohana visit wasn't as good as the first. The pork loin was dry/tough. The shrimp overcooked. Everything else was fairly tasty. DD loves those noodles. The service was great. The cocktails/bar is awesome, BTW. I think I'll pass on our next trip, however, and try something else.

I always feel sad when I read about Tony's, even though I avoid Italian restaurants, DD loves Lady and the Tramp and I've considered going... I just wish somebody would convince them that it really isn't that hard to make a decent, basic marinara/Sunday gravy, people! Grab some fresh garlic, tomatoes, basil and whip up all kinds of stuff. I digress.

I know I'll catch some flack, but the place I really didn't like my meal was Casey's Corner and here's why: I love me some Chicago style dogs...but these buns were hideous, crumbly, awful, dry things that ruined the whole experience. It just fell apart and was awful to eat. Didn't have the mini hot peppers and celery salt...Sorry, didn't like it.

Biergarten...it was fun, good beers, good entertainment, great service, but ok cuisine. The sauerbraten was a big disappointment to me. The beef roulades were decent, as was the red cabbage and roasted potatoes. I liked the various types of salads. We didn't hate it, by any stretch, we wouldn't run back, but I'd still encourage others to try it out.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #184
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
I actually really enjoyed Tusker House. I went at lunch and it is not a character meal then.
We just did lunch the end of May and it was a character meal. We did dinner last time and that was not. We really liked the food at dinner but just thought it was okay this last trip.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #185
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I wouldn't skip anywhere personally but I would give everywhere a chance. Some people are really picky and others may just not like the type of food or atmosphere while we enjoy it. I never advise people to avoid any particular place even though I do sing the praises of a few restaurants.

I guess that I'm contrary.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: