Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Spa Automatic Gratuity

Okay - please don't hate me that I am asking a tipping question. I pour over these boards night and day and I must have missed this in all the gratuity questions. So here it goes:

I just received an email from DCL that an automatic 18% will be added to my bill at the end of my spa services as an automatic gratuity.

Do you know if this is discretionary that I can change if the service is better or poorer. Or is it 18% no matter what?

Thanks!

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
tajz90
Mama D

This makes me scratch my head (the email/auto gratuity). Who isn't tipping??? We are now being forced to tip beforehand because someone isn't tipping. Crazy.
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Just got the same email
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

So this must be a newly implemented change? It's funny, the last time I went to the Med they implemented the automatic room tips too....It must be me.

This is what my letter said:

We are truly glad that you will be sailing with us soon.

Our records indicate that you, or a member of your party, have already pre-reserved some of your cruise activities, including a relaxing spa experience onboard. We wanted to take a moment and let you know that at the time of the spa services, an 18% automatic gratuity will be applied to the service check.

As you may know, it is customary in the spa industry to give gratuities in recognition of service, and we have at our Guests' request established this guideline. As a convenience, the gratuity will be automatically added at the completion of your spa service.

Should you wish to review or make modifications to your pre-reserved cruise experiences, please visit the My Cruise Plans section of our website at www.disneycruise.com/plan.

Again, we look forward to sailing with you soon and trust that you will have an exceptional voyage aboard Disney Cruise Line.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
I just received an email from DCL that an automatic 18% will be added to my bill at the end of my spa services as an automatic gratuity.
For your convenience, of course!

And I see in their email it was done at the request of guests. Sure.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
MrSanderz27
Mouseketeer

I just received the same e-mail as well
MrSanderz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

I find this ridiculous. I have always left a tip after each and everyone of my treatments, but I think that this is pushing it. People need to remember that a tip is earned not forced. One leaves a tip upon completion of the treatment not before. It may be customary and I agree, but this is taking tipping too far. I will be canceling my treatments because this is not the appropriate way to handle the matter of people not getting tips. You earn the tip for the service I am already paying for, the treatment is not free. Lord knows I always tip, I even tip when we have gotten less than satisfactory service for different things, which is something my husband always argues with me about. I am sorry, but this is not right. I am pretty sure others will complain heavily about this. Very sad. Sorry needed to vent. vent over.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
ladyleslie
Mouseketeer

Me too... i dont know how i feel about this?? is this a matter of too many people NOT tipping after services... So dcl makes it automatic... And 18%? has that always been the reccomended amount for tipping?? Im gonna have to look through my luggage to see if i have any receipts running around and figure it out....

** From my family and friends to yours - may all of your cruising dreams come true! **
** Dream - Aug 14 & 17 & 21, 2014 ** Fantasy - August 17, 2013 & Art of Animation ** Magic - Aug 17, 2012 ** Dream - Aug 25 & Aug 28, 2011 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 29 & Sept 1 2010 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 23, 2009 & Caribbean Beach **Coronado Springs - Feb 2009 ** French Quarter - Sept 2008 ** All Star Sports - Sept 2007 ** All Star Music - Oct 2006 ** Off Site - April 2002 ** Off Site - Aug 1989 ** Disney Campsite - Aug 1982 **
ladyleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Okay I would draw the line at automatic tips for spa services. When I get my hair done or get a massage at a salon I will always tip. The tip reflects how pleased I am with the service performed. If they've specifically done something I asked them not to do then I will still tip but not at the level if I loved it. The whole automatic thing is getting out of hand.

And you're already paying at least twice if not more for the services on the ship than you would on land!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
tink,too
DIS Veteran

I just received this email as well. At least it states that the auto gratuity will be added "at the completion of your spa service".

I had to think for a minute if this was a new thing, but then remembered that there was a slip left for us to sign after our massage and we added our own tip amount.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
For your convenience, of course!

And I see in their email it was done at the request of guests. Sure.
I got the email today too. More like for your INconvenience. At the request of guests?!?! Yeah, right! Gimme a break. I will be canceling the pre booked spa services as a matter of principle.

Besides, being able to threaten a reduced gratuity if they hard sell products is very effective.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
neg58
DIS Veteran

Perhaps the spa people are no longer allowed to beg for the tips. People complained about the pressure to buy products and tip and this might be the solution.

I'm done with the spa. I used the rainforest but on my last cruise it was so packed that I had them refund my money (pre-paid for several days). They can't seem to set a price and it varies so much from cruise to cruise. My kids did the mani/pedi/facial and they had cash for their tips, but the slips were still left for me to sign and leave more (if I so chose; please).

But I just don't like the spa or the people there that much, so I'm done with it. Having to give the 'expected 18%' would make any relaxation I got in the spa disappear in a second.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Embraer
Mouseketeer

Got the email as well and paraphrased DisneyFan888, so thanks. This is my response

I have just received an email from DCL regarding an automatic tip that is going to be applied to a Spa treatment. I have always left a tip after my treatments, but I think that this is pushing it. People, and I include DCL and it's associate companies, need to remember that a tip is earned not forced. One leaves a tip upon completion of the treatment not before, so why are you assuming that I'll consider 18% sufficient, insufficient or otherwise. I understand that tipping is very much an american courtesy but we do tip in the UK if we think that the service warrants it. The email states also that this change in policy has been instigated at Guests' requests, please tell me how are people considering it too difficult to arrange this once on the ship? I will be quite happy to tip as I see fit after the spa treatment so please remove this automatic gratuity
Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
sambycat
DIS Veteran

this is just one more reason why i won’t do DCL spa services. this seems a really odd choice of things to “automatically” tip. but then again, the whole spa set up on the ships is over priced, over pressured and now over tipped!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

I agree. The hard sell on products is out of hand on the ships. I hated also the way they would leave a receipt from a previous customer with a very large tip on it so we could see that we need to tip. Very uncomfortable and I think I am skipping the Spa this trip. This probably is pushing some of us that were on the verge of justifying paying double and triple what we pay on land for these services.
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: