Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Private Alaskan Excursions - How far in advance did you book?

I know most require a deposit or to be paid in full at the time of booking (private excursions), so how far in advance do you need to book for excursions in Alaska? Are there certain excursions that sell out much faster than others?

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

We booked with Harv and Marv whale watching about 6 months ahead

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The best shore excursion we took in Alaska was a float plane trip to Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan. We booked it right on the dock that morning.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

3-4 months for Chilkoot Charters and Tours and Rum Runner Charters
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

When I booked a whale watch tour years back I booked. 6 months out and they did not charge the card. For my deadliest catch tour I booked in mid march for July. I saved 30 per person.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
liemge
Mouseketeer

I booked privately roughly 6 months in advance. Some excursions seem to be exactly the same as the Disney offerings, but usually cheaper, especially if you have an 11 or 1w year old. Disney considers 10 an adult, while most tour operators consider up to and including 12 a child. Good luck!!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

We booked ours back in January/February for August - we were able to book everything we wanted.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Tiresius
Mouseketeer

We originally booked all of our (non-Disney) excursions in Alaska months ahead of time like most of the other posters. Then, I tripped at work less than two weeks before we sailed and had a huge splint on my right hand that meant my excursion ability was severely limited (no zip-lining, no kayaking, etc). So we had to re-book. We were able to cancel all of the excursions with no penalty (since it was a medical issue), and found new excursions that I was able to do. So, although we were looking at some of the less-thrilling excursions (hiking, floating, salmon center, totem park), we had absolutely no problems booking excursions less than two weeks (I think we finalized the last one less than a week out) from sailing. Granted, we were two adults on the very first (and thus least crowded) sailing of the year, so your own experience may vary, but we were quite happy with all of our excursions and in the end, it was totally not a problem that we completely started our planning process over at basically days out.
2014 - Jan: 10k, Donald 1/2, Discovery Cove, and SeaWorld. 2013 - Dec: 7 night Western Caribbean on DCL Fantasy. Aug/Sept: 5 days DL and Dumbo Double Dare. February: Quick weekend getaway to AoA and CBR for Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2012 - September: 5 days at ASMo for TOT 10 Miler and F&WF May: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 2011 - December: 1 Night at ASMo for MVMCP and CP, then 3 nights at RP for WWoHP and US May: 10 Nights at ASSp with DMom for EE5K (3rd Place!), Ep F&G, WPx2, Premium Plan (1 Night only), D23 Scavenger Hunt (32nd), Destination D. 2010 - June: 5 nights at ASSp for SWW and EE 5K Challenge (Solo) January: 5 very cold days with DMom and DSis (her first trip) for 1 night at POFQ, 1 night at AKL, 3 nights at ASSp. Mom ran the 5K, we swam in Epcot Aqua Seas, and did all 4 parks with only 2 day tixs. 2009 - August: Longest trip to date, 7 days at ASMu with my girlfriend. 2008 - September: Labor Day Solo trip at POP, first time free dining, 3 parks in 1 day and my first water park. October: MNSSHP X2 and Food and Wine Festival (Solo at ASMu). February: 3 day Solo trip at POP for P&PP and 2am in the MK (yeah EMH!). 2007 - November: 2 day Solo Trip at ASSp to see Cirque, AK, and DQ. December: DMom and Me at ASMu for Christmas with Dining and MVMCP. 2006 - May: 3 days at DL, solo (age 24), offsite. 2005 - January: 5 days at WDW, w/ DMom, POP Century. 2002 - 1 day at MK, w/ DFather, DSis (then 17), DBro (then 14)
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Tsunami
Earning My Ears

We are going in late July and also booked Harv & Marv's 4-5 months in advance. The remainder of our excursions are through the ship.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Debbru
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
We booked with Harv and Marv whale watching about 6 months ahead
We also booked with Harv & Marv for our upcoming Alaska cruise back in January.

Could I ask you a question? I keep seeing other posts saying that the Harv & Marv bus picked them up at the dock - but our email confirmation says we should take a shuttle bus at the dock to the base of the tram that goes up the mountain & that's where the Harv and Marv bus will meet us. Is this what others are doing?
Debbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
sqektoy
Earning My Ears

We booked a whale watching excursion in Juneau with Orca Enterprises. I highly recommend! DCL docks at the AJ Dock which is farthest from the "end" or "beginning" of the docks (however you look at it) so DCL provides a free shuttle to where the tram is so ppl don't have to walk the entire length of the dock to the main pickup area for most excursions as well as "town". It's quite convenient but keep in mind the last shuttles to AJ are at 4:00 and its about a 20 minute walk. With a 4:30 on board, you'll want to be at the tram pickup at 4.....
sqektoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer

I booked chilkoot 6 months in advance, but some friends just booked 2 months out. The only issue was they wanted to do bus up and train down, but that itinerary was full.
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
Tsunami
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbru View Post
We also booked with Harv & Marv for our upcoming Alaska cruise back in January.

Could I ask you a question? I keep seeing other posts saying that the Harv & Marv bus picked them up at the dock - but our email confirmation says we should take a shuttle bus at the dock to the base of the tram that goes up the mountain & that's where the Harv and Marv bus will meet us. Is this what others are doing?
Ours is at the dock. The confirmation says "We will be meeting you right outside your ship's disembarkation area. AJ - Alaska Juneau Dock. Disembark your ship and walk up the gangway. Once you reach the top you will be underneath a canopy. Turn right and follow the sidewalk 40 feet. You will see our representative holding signs."

We have a 9:50 tour time.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

We couldn't get Chilkoot train up/bus down 2 months out.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
The confirmation says "We will be meeting you right outside your ship's disembarkation area. AJ - Alaska Juneau Dock. Disembark your ship and walk up the gangway. Once you reach the top you will be underneath a canopy. Turn right and follow the sidewalk 40 feet. You will see our representative holding signs."
This is what our Harv & Marv confirmation says too.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: