Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Telling our kids

I know their is a debate about telling or surprising kids. We have decided to surprise them but we want to record it. Here are my thoughts but interested in your opinion.

Option 1..
Create an album of sorts to give them on the plane to florida that would help them figure it out.

Option 2:
Give them the luggage tags the morning of to put on their suit cases and see if they figure it out.

Option 3:
We have private transfers to the ship from an airport hotel. Tell them we are moving hotels and point out the ship as the "new hotel" as soon as we can see it.

Option 4:
have T-shirts made for my wife and I that say "I am taking my kids on a disney cruise tomorrow. How long do you think it will take them to read this shirt an figure it out?"

Any other creative ideas or suggestions...T-30 days
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
junbug
Mouseketeer

Awesome post. Planning on surprising our 8 year old daughter too. Thinking about letting Mickey Mouse surprise her with the free phone call from disney the morning of.
junbug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
English Channel
Earning My Ears

We are going to be at Disney World July 4th,5th, and 6th. Going to get up on the 7th(the day of our cruise), and pretend to drive home. But, drive the port instead. And, see how long it take him to catch on.
English Channel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

I was able to drive up to the Dream without my ds13 knowing. We surprised him this past January. We told him months in advance that we were going on a cruise for his BDay. We just told him it was a Royal Caribbean cruise because there was no way I could get all the way to the port without him knowing something. I even had fake documents. He had been on Disney cruise before (Wonder) and knew where the ship left from. Anyway, we drive to the port and decide to pull up to DCL's drop off area to "check out" the Dream. Anyway, after oohing and aahing, and voicing my disappointment about not being able to cruise on the Dream........We told him that we were actually getting on the Dream. I put the car in park and proceeded to unload our luggage. He literally had his mouth agape for 10 minutes. It was great!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
SensationalMama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I was able to drive up to the Dream without my ds13 knowing. We surprised him this past January. We told him months in advance that we were going on a cruise for his BDay. We just told him it was a Royal Caribbean cruise because there was no way I could get all the way to the port without him knowing something. I even had fake documents. He had been on Disney cruise before (Wonder) and knew where the ship left from. Anyway, we drive to the port and decide to pull up to DCL's drop off area to "check out" the Dream. Anyway, after oohing and aahing, and voicing my disappointment about not being able to cruise on the Dream........We told him that we were actually getting on the Dream. I put the car in park and proceeded to unload our luggage. He literally had his mouth agape for 10 minutes. It was great!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
These are all great posts! We live in Florida, and our girls are always alert for "something different," especially involving Disney!
SensationalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
sorceressk
Mouseketeer

I like the tee shirt idea! So funny!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

I like the tee shirt idea also but would maybe make ones you could wear throughout. Maybe a picture if the ship with "xyz family Disney cruise" with the dates or something.

Also, on another thread, someone made a movie trailer that was very creative. Not sure if it was going to be used to surprise the people going or not but it could be done that way.
Have fun and enjoy.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
MCO mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junbug View Post
Awesome post. Planning on surprising our 8 year old daughter too. Thinking about letting Mickey Mouse surprise her with the free phone call from disney the morning of.
This is what we did -- SO fun!
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO mama View Post

This is what we did -- SO fun!
We have done the disney calls but never the ones tied to a cruise. Are they cruise specific? I looked for a transcript but couldn't find one.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

Get pizza from somewhere and secretly write, "you're going on a Disney cruise!" When your kids open it, they will figure out the surprise!! Have fun
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
vcunning
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
We have done the disney calls but never the ones tied to a cruise. Are they cruise specific? I looked for a transcript but couldn't find one.
Yep, they're cruise specific. You pick your cruise destination and character (either Mickey or Goofy). Here is a video of the Goofy one.
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Depending on the age and personality of your kids I would go with an option that lets them know while still at home.

I am not good with surprises unless I am expecting a surprise (so christmas presents are great surprises, a random vacation not so much).

So if my parents packed for me and didn't tell me until we were on the way to the airport I would probably have made that first day miserable by complaining about all the stuff I watned to bring that wasn't in my bag.

If I was told the morning of at least I would be able to pack my own things.

To give an example I remember around that age my parents once coming to get me from an activity I did about an hour for the house. I had made plans with a friend to be online to play a game with them about 1 hour after I would normally get home. Generally we had a quick dinner shortly after we got home and this would be enough time My parents instead decide to surprise me that they are taking me out to eat and where do I want to go...

I had no idea where I wanted to go and just wanted to go home. All I could think of is that I had plans and no way of letting my friend know I wasn't going to be there. So after alot of fighting we ended up back home without dinner because my parents didn't want to deal with me. Really they just didn't want to have to cook and didn't know what was for dinner and decided to surprise me and then got mad that I didn't want it.

I'm sure your kids wouldlove that they get to go on a cruise but a few hours of time to get used to it and pack. AS well as call a friend if they had planned to do something special with them and you didn't know about would be good if they tend to be planners and don't take changing plans well.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
2prettygirl
Mouseketeer

We are planning to tell our girls on Christmas morning. We bought some Disney tshirts, an autograph book, Disney princess costumes (for the BBB) and will have a pic of the ship with a count down to cruise calendar. Should be a great surprise!!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

have done the notifying of the kid both early and the mroning of the cruise.

I actually like giving a little more notice than pulling up to the boat. There is just something about coming ocross that last bridge driving in from Orlando. I like the idea and have done the phone call from Mickey the night before the cruise. You can now tailor the call a little bit now and have it call at a specific time. Then the kiid(s) can go nuts that night and all the way to the boat. You can actually test the call yourself and then see if that is something you want to do.

I understand the excitement of pulling up at the terminal as the surprise, but IMHO a lot is lost with unloading the vehicle, parking the car and getting everyone ID out, and getting through customs. There is an excitement is wating, but if you do it a little earlier (atrranged) and catch the exciment all the way to the ship. For example, you could video the phone call from Mickey.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
old gadget
Earning My Ears

I told my son we were going camping in a "cabin" ... He didnt get it until the gate blew the surprise by asking if we were cruising ..
Counting down to DCL cruise #6

28 days ...... I can't sleep
old gadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: