Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady9 View Post
I don't think it is a big deal if they want to advertise their business as long as their gift is in the spirit of FE exchange. We got a business card in our FE but it was attached to a nice Vinylmation! I thought that was very nice and much appreciated. We received two bookmarks (no business advertisement attached) that had Mickey heads on it and a cute Disney ribbon attached. I loved them. I use one to mark my page in the book I am currently reading to my class and one to mark the page in the book I am reading for pleasure. It's a nice memory every time I look at them. For those that think they are non crafty, try a bookmark, it will be used!!
Your Vinylmation sounds like a thoughtful gift . Call me a cynic, but when the entire envelope contained one laminated computer generated bookmark and a business card, I tend to think that the person signed up for FE just to advertise
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
JohnsPrincess
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't mind an advertisement IF it accompanied something in the spirit of the FE.

And for those of you saying you aren't crafty...you don't have to make something! :-) I've seen people buy really cute little things from their home state or country (candy, hot sauce) that were awesome.

DH39 Me34 Sebastian1 Daisy Aurora Willow AGD
Disney Cruise on the Wonder: Christmas 2009 & Dec 2013
Trips to Parks: Too many to count!
JohnsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #18
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

If I received a business card thrown in with a gift, I would assume it's there for the contact details, not the advertising. i.e. "I'm on the same cruise as you, here is my name and email incase you feel like contacting me to discuss the highlights of the cruise".
Perhaps I am just naive, or perhaps it's a cultural thing (I asked my DH and he thought the same as me). But to be honest this thread has made me slightly more grateful I have chosen not to go down the whole fish extender route.

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 06-23-2013 at 06:31 AM.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #19
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer

I don't think I would care if somebody put an ad in with the FE. The thing that would bother me is if somebody joined the group just to send out "spam" and no gifts. As OP said people put time, money and heart into the FE and everybody involved should do the same. BTW I joined my first FE for this fall and I'm not creative in the least. I did however go out a buy gifts for everyone on our list

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #20
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I'd take the advertisement if it were a 75% off your next DCL cruise or $50 off your next purchase of flowers. It sounds like they are all travel agents, no? It reminds me of the Real Housewives of Orange County...they give gift bags with their own products. LOL
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I think the advertising is tacky but it wouldn't offend me. I would be offended by religious and/or political pamphlets. That just seems really not at all what a FE should be about.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #22
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Whoa. That's seriously tacky. Advertising for your business OR your religion. In my neighborhood that is grounds to call the police.

Guess it is one more thing to add on to my mental list of reasons why I don't find the FEs appealing.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
owensamo
DIS Veteran

In the past we've gotten advertisements, but I didn't mind so much because they were things like a small Tupperware utensil and a business card, or a Mary K sample and a business card. They almost always included candy. I seriously doubted that the giver intended anyone on the ship to actually buy stuff from them - why would I get my Mary K from someone on the other side of the country when I know someone here who sells it? - but they do pay for their samples, and if they wanted to include their information when they give them out, that's fine by me. If any Pampered Chef or Tastefully Simple consultants want to pass out samples on my next cruise, feel free to put any extras in my FE! And Oragami Owl? I'll take any sample charms available, please!

TAs don't often have samples to offer. We've gotten a number of laminated bookmarks in the past - and use them frequently - so I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it myself. I tend to be a glass-half-full kind of person, so would have assumed they were just getting started, this was a cruise to help with their business, and they didn't have the time/money for more.
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
simbasmom2
Just waitin around till boarding time!

We have never received advertisements/business cards in our 4 FEs that we have participated in. I, too, would tend to think they were just leaving their name with the gift especially if they didn't have it somewhere else.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Actually, nons of that stuff has bothered me in the past. Keep the gift and dispose of what you don't want.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPrincess View Post
I've seen people buy really cute little things from their home state or country (candy, hot sauce) that were awesome.
When I read the words 'hot sauce,' my first thought was...'this cruiser MUST BE from Texas.' Yep! "Hot sauce" is another food group in Texas.

That said, I'm in the low percentage of those who don't mind advertising. I'll actually save a business card if it's something in which I might eventually be interested. I'll toss out the others.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

I don't mind the advertising if it is built into an FE gift or attached to one.

We got a religious pamphlet last time, but all the cabins in our area did not just the FEs
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

I think the religious stuff would bother me more than the advertising.... and that's just because religion is such a personal thing.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I don't participate in the FE because I don't cruise with kids, I don't want to lug the stuff to the ship, and I don't need more clutter at home. However, I hope those who DO like to participate haven't been discouraged by this thread - thinking they have to spend hours MAKING gifts!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPrincess View Post
I wouldn't mind an advertisement IF it accompanied something in the spirit of the FE.
To me the spirit of FE is that you give what you want others to have, use, exchange. I've received a lot of things that were just not to my taste, I couldn't use, or were just junk. I either tossed or tried to give to someone else. So me things we use or displayed on the cruise, like magnets, but didn't take them home. Most of the 'packaging', including business cards, gets tossed.

Whether it comes with a business card or not, some FE gifts are not 'wow' value while others are over the top fantastic. It's really just luck whether you are the recipient of things that are the same quality as what you made or gave, but the original intent of the FE was just a light exchange of fun things. I actually prefer the small little things, especially something from the giver's home town.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: