Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Please Don't Advertise In My FE

Ok. This is a semi-rant, but after seeing all the beautiful home-made gifts in the FE thread (which are beautiful, thoughtful and amazing).... and receiving some truly thoughtful gifts during my FE exchange --

I would like to reiterate that laminated bookmarks printed from computers (which are themselves FINE) placed in an envelope with your personal travel agent business info/business card IS NOT AN FE GIFT. It is an unappreciated, unsolicited advertisement. It went in my trash.

I had read about this on the boards and was quite turned off when I actually got one in my FE. My DDs and I spent months doing our FE gifts. Please participate in the spirit of the FE, and not for commercial gain
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Was the person someone that had signed up for the FE and that was their only gift? (Totally WRONG if it was!!) Or was it just someone walking by sticking them in there as an advertisement?

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald5 View Post
Was the person someone that had signed up for the FE and that was their only gift? (Totally WRONG if it was!!) Or was it just someone walking by sticking them in there as an advertisement?
Honestly, I have no idea. They left their DIS name and their business info. It was in an envelope. I tossed it, just as I would when I get housecleaning cards or law-mowing cards on my doorstep when I get home.

The turn off is---I'm on a cruise...I have a FE for gifts and surprises for my DDs, not for solicitations. Leave my FE alone
Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Yah, that's a douche-y thing to do either way. I'm just really hoping it wasn't someones only FE gift that they were giving out....

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
tinkertaylor05
DIS Veteran

We were in the other group of the same FE and we got that too

A few of us discussed it as I automatically assumed it was just random marketing to all FE's they saw but someone pointed out the card in the envelope had our room number printed on it and since the FE list was all done via email must've been someone that had signed up

WDW SSR/DCL EBTA May 2014, DCL Magic Med June 2013, Hotel New York September 2012, Disneyland Hotel December 2011, Hotel New York February 2011, Hotel New York June 2010
tinkertaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

While I think it's a bit tacky to use FE as an advertising outlet, I don't let it stress me so much. If the advertisement is such that it bothers me, I toss it. If it's on something that I will use, I use it.

For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes. If mine goes further, so be it. It's a vacation, relax.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertaylor05 View Post
We were in the other group of the same FE and we got that too

A few of us discussed it as I automatically assumed it was just random marketing to all FE's they saw but someone pointed out the card in the envelope had our room number printed on it and since the FE list was all done via email must've been someone that had signed up
Yes, that's what it was. This triggered my memory. It did have my stateroom number on the envelope and I actually had thought it was something important. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who found it tacky.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I also don't think the FE is appropriate for religious stuff. Someone in one of our FE groups included a religious pamphlet with their gift. No biggy - I just tossed it, but still....
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
Someone in one of our FE groups included a religious pamphlet
Wow. Just, wow.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
While I think it's a bit tacky to use FE as an advertising outlet, I don't let it stress me so much. If the advertisement is such that it bothers me, I toss it. If it's on something that I will use, I use it.

For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes. If mine goes further, so be it. It's a vacation, relax.
Though we haven't participated in FE yet, this seems to me what my response would be. I also wouldn't stress the religious stuff. I'll just toss it if I disagree. Hopefully both contributors did not limit their gift to such items.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Not stressed about it. Wasn't then, am not now. In fact, forgot about it until today.

In going through the homemade FE gift thread, however, it touched me how many people put so much thought, care and love into their FE gifts. In contrast, the commercial ads are just so tacky that I wanted to point out that they're not appreciated.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
For some people, that may be as far as their creativity goes.
But if that's your creativity limit, why join the FE group? I'm not creative in any way that impresses other people, so I'm not going to join the groups.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
lady9
DIS Veteran

I don't think it is a big deal if they want to advertise their business as long as their gift is in the spirit of FE exchange. We got a business card in our FE but it was attached to a nice Vinylmation! I thought that was very nice and much appreciated. We received two bookmarks (no business advertisement attached) that had Mickey heads on it and a cute Disney ribbon attached. I loved them. I use one to mark my page in the book I am currently reading to my class and one to mark the page in the book I am reading for pleasure. It's a nice memory every time I look at them. For those that think they are non crafty, try a bookmark, it will be used!!
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
But if that's your creativity limit, why join the FE group? I'm not creative in any way that impresses other people, so I'm not going to join the groups.
I agree. I've never done FEs; I just don't want more stuff to do along with vacation planning and I'm not crafty at all. I can't believe people would have the nerve to advertise. They're for gifts, not junk mail.
My late uncle had remarried a long time ago and one of her grown children would put business cards in her Christmas cards to send out. Some people just can't separate work from pleasure.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
qits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Ditto
qits is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: