DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Goofy&Sleepy
Mouseketeer

Grocery Delivery???worth it

Headed down 7/4 for 8 nights USUALLY stay in studio but splurging & have 8 nights in 1BR. Always take cereal/b'fast foods & thinking about doing grocery delivery. Even though have a car, think it might be worth it as crowds will be high & don't want to spend time at store . planning on mainly CS but thinking about doing burgers, eggs, getting bottled water, and doing cold stuff in room for dinner or some lunches. Would it be worth it for us? What are MUST gets....since have a car could bring some things home. Having guests the last 3 days of trip so not sure what they will want to do and we want to do some of our must dos (Earl/Puck). Any suggestions so I don't OVERBUY on cold items? What do you "cook"? This will be a FIRST summer trip & I know crowds & heat will be crazy so plan on low key & just "flying by the seat of our pants" Thanks.
Goofy&Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
ldo
DIS Veteran

for 1 week, we plan dinners with some left overs for 3-4 days and stuff for breakfast and lunches. In summer, we usually go to parks in the AM, back after lunch and eat dinner in room, then go back to parks, as usually Tstorms are 3-7pm. Or we come back for late lunch and eat dinner in the park. If you eat break and then either lunch or dinner in the room, you can save a lot of $$.
typical things we buy/eat:
milk oj water soda juice boxes coffee
ice cream popsicles
snack food for kids-cookies, etc.
hot dogs buns condiments
luncheon meat cheese chips
salad stuff fruit--apples cantelope watermelon
bagels bread cereal eggs
butter jelly
mac cheese mix spaghetttios
we grill out chicken 1 day with extra for salads another day, steaks 1 day--charcoal/lighter for DVC grills
then, either spaghetti, tacos, bbq, ribs, terriaki pork for the other 1-2 days
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Where are you staying?

If I had a car, I would not do grocery delivery. It is just my preference to pick out things.

On the first day, I like to bring back rotisserie chicken dinner from Publix. It's always been a hit for me and my guests. In summer, a watermelon is a must for my family.

Bobbi

bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

We have used the delivery companies and we now rent a car for the day and do our own shopping. You get what you want, when you want it and it gives you the ability to eat off property.

WDW is great but it isn't going anywhere, a break from the crowds and heat can be a good thing.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
wendydarling826
I thought mine was the only crazy family
I will do anything to avoid housework, but when I have a podcast to listen to, I can whistle while I work

Just a suggestion - Walmart delivers to the resorts for free (unless the resort has a convention center, in which case there is a $5. fee). Last year I had a case of water and some other things like detergent delivered. It was fast and cheap. I would definitely do it again.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydarling826 View Post
Just a suggestion - Walmart delivers to the resorts for free (unless the resort has a convention center, in which case there is a $5. fee). Last year I had a case of water and some other things like detergent delivered. It was fast and cheap. I would definitely do it again.
Which Walmart did you use? Do you know if they will deliver beer/wine? Do they have a minimum dollar amount?

We are renting a car in July, but considering a grocery delivery.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Yacht Club Feb '15, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy&Sleepy View Post
Headed down 7/4 for 8 nights USUALLY stay in studio but splurging & have 8 nights in 1BR. Always take cereal/b'fast foods & thinking about doing grocery delivery. Even though have a car, think it might be worth it as crowds will be high & don't want to spend time at store . planning on mainly CS but thinking about doing burgers, eggs, getting bottled water, and doing cold stuff in room for dinner or some lunches. Would it be worth it for us? What are MUST gets....since have a car could bring some things home. Having guests the last 3 days of trip so not sure what they will want to do and we want to do some of our must dos (Earl/Puck). Any suggestions so I don't OVERBUY on cold items? What do you "cook"? This will be a FIRST summer trip & I know crowds & heat will be crazy so plan on low key & just "flying by the seat of our pants" Thanks.
We mainly concentrate on breakfast items and we keep it simple; toast, cereal, fruit, milk, etc....

We did buy some alcohol the last time and that worked out and we did buy hot dogs and macaroni and cheese for one night for our kids (oldest son is a teenager so he babysat) while the adults went to Wolfgang Pucks (we had another family with us). We do always over buy which does bother me. I need to learn to not buy so much and if we run out that that is okay.

We had Mouse Concierge deliver our alcohol purchases. They did a great job and texted me the exact location of our purchase (shelf number) in the luggage room and provided a wine opener too. Garden Grocer did the grocery delivery and we were happy with the job they did too. It was just less personal than Mouse Concierge and the attention to detail helped when the CM's originally struggled to find our bags (which they did find).
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
iluveeyore
DIS Veteran

It really depends on how valuable my time is whether I get my own stuff or not - the last couple of times we have used Wegoshop so we could get sale items and also our alcohol delivered. We are going for 13 nights in October and plan to just go grab what we need. We just did a week away eating out, mostly CS for just dinner and spent over $300 for two of us, plus $90 in groceries for breakfast/lunch and alcohol/pop/water That was because we were in a studio. This trip, like last year, we will be in a one-bedroom. For a week, we spent $220 for four people, which included all of our meals, snacks, toiletries, and beverages. That would have cost us over $600 or more eating out for four all week. So there is no contest as to whether or not we are getting groceries and eating in, even for just two of us. We really enjoy going back to our villa for meals as we get away from the crowds and the heat and enjoy our resort for a couple of hours every day. We have to get a rental car this trip as we are splitting with my sister and hubby so they can get their own groceries too, so am looking forward to getting my list myself and being able to find some sale items as well.
As for what we eat, DH likes sub sandwiches for lunch with cold meats/cheese/lettuce and a cold beer on his OKW patio For dinners, I make pasta dishes sometimes with chicken breasts, we have hamburgers, hot dogs, frozen pizzas, tacos, quesidillas. I get tuna, sandwich fixings and soup for lunches. We buy ice cream, chips and microwave popcorn for snacks, and I get fruit snacks and granola bars to carry around the parks in case we are late leaving for a meal. Breakfast we have toast, cereal or eggs with our hot tea.
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
We have used the delivery companies and we now rent a car for the day and do our own shopping. You get what you want, when you want it and it gives you the ability to eat off property.
Even when I have a rental car---and I usually do---I will sometimes let the delivery service deal with shopping. It all depends on what my arrival day looks like, and whether or not I imagine I will want to deal with the start-of-week stock-up.

That said, experience has taught me to under-buy by a little bit. I never seem to go through as much as I think I will when I'm shopping/putting the order together. Having a rental car means it is easy to run out and pick something up quickly if need be.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
lucyem
DIS Veteran

We always bring food in the car and stop for perishables. Honestly it seems like we always have forgotten something which would require a trip to Target anyway. So its just all planned into the schedule. Besides i much prefer being able to choose my own veggies etc. i guess if i were flying and just wanted water, bread and peanut butter, Just the basics, then the grocery service would be fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: