Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which would you do?
Value (ASMu) and save the money 16 23.88%
Moderate (CBR) and enjoy the upgrade 51 76.12%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
mchelle77
DIS Veteran

Value or Moderate ... please weigh in

We stayed at ASMo last time we went (11/2009) and swore we'd go Moderate next time. We thought we were waiting until 4/2015, but we just decided to go again this November and booked last night (ASMu)

We talked ourselves out of POFQ last time because we were able to add a day. This time because we're losing over a year of saving up, we're thinking about sticking with the value again. We're going for 9 days and THREE of those will be pool days (so the "how much will you actually be there?" question is moot. We WILL be there quite a bit! LOL)

The other thing - at first glance it seems like a big savings to go value. BUT! If free dining becomes available when we go, we'd automatically upgrade to the regular dining plan (rather than QS) so we'd have to pay the difference ... therefore, making the increase in cost a lot less than we're thinking.

Thoughts?

First trip - 03/97 (1 week)
Second trip - 02/00 (1 week)
Third trip (Honeymoon!) - 06/03 (2 weeks)
Fourth trip - 11/01/09 (10 days, DD's 1st trip there)
Next Trip - 11/30/13 (1 week - Surprise for our daughter!)
DISNEY CRUISE just booked April 2015!
mchelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

If you look at: http://www.easywdw.com/resorts/best-...-resort-hotel/ I think they give good reviews on the best of this or that. The above link is Values and there is a section for pools.

With regard to Port Orleans, I think the POR pool takes an edge over POFQ AND the POR Food Court is much better and you are on the River and can take the boat to DTD as you know. According to the above site the best Mod pool is Caribbean beach.

With 3 down days, it would be nice to be close to DTD via the boat.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
disd55
Mouseketeer

If you're going to be spending a couple of days just at the resort, I would go with a mod. You want to actually have fun at the resort right? You want a good pool right? Values do not have slides at the pools which is a big plus for mods.

Now, with regard to which mod, It depends. Do you care about walking? If not choose CBR because it is VERY big but has an amazing pool. It's also very beautiful and feels very tropical. If food court matters, I would go with POR or POFQ. POFQ has really good beignets. But POR has more choices I believe. The pool is good at both of those but not as good as CBR. In addition,CBR does not yet have queen beds in every room but will, as they are in the process of switching them.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I voted Mod.

POFQ is my favorite resort so, I'd choose it.

I think with pool days your daughter might enjoy the pool slide (if old enough) and the boat to DTD is the best.

The nice thing about PO is that POR and POFQ are sister resorts so you can boat or walk between the two and use all the food courts and pools.

I've done value and mod and honeslty based just on money I'd be fine at ASMu, but with resort days I think the nicer resort is worth a little more money, plus the better ddp if FD comes out.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Kae
DIS Veteran

Go mod but I would pick POR or POFQ over CBR.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I voted moderate. Love POR and POFQ. The landscaping is beautiful, rooms recently refurbed, queen beds, nice main pool and POR has quiet pools too. Boat to DTD, horse & carriage rides, fun evening entertainment, and great food court.
Nice bus stops under cover with benches. The mods are quieter, more relaxing atmosphere then the values, I think with 3 resort days that will be nice.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

How many in your party and what ages? This might affect the recommendation.
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
dminnie
DIS Veteran

I'd go with a mod. With POR and POFQ, you can use pools from either resort. The slide at POFQ is not the best, unless it's a LITTLE kid using it or someone nervous about slides trying to get used to them maybe. The slide at CSR is the longest of the mods and they have the largest hot tub. CBR has a nice kiddie pool area, if your kids a short enough for the height requirements. It's nice that the mods have quiet pools too. If the main pool is really busy, it can be fun to find another pool go to to and just hang out. CSR has a ping pong table and volleyball court by the pool too. I'm focusing on things for your pool days since you are having 3 of them.

CSR's pool is a ways from the main building where there are 3 restaurants to choose from (2 cs and 1 TS), but there is a snack bar at the pool too. CBR, POR, and POFQ have their food service areas pretty close to the pools.

CBR only has full sized beds...the other mods all have queen. POR is the most recently renovated of the mods(2012). The boat to DTD might be fun on a pool day too.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Moderate and shorten your trip if need be. IMHO, nine days including three only pool days is too long.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
maryj11
DIS Veteran

If you can I would stay moderate. The values seem more noisy and crowded to me. The moderates just have a more peaceful atmosphere and the grounds are beautiful. The pool at CBR looks really nice if you are staying 3 days at the pool, plus they have hot tubs.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We've never stayed Value so I can't speak to them - nothing against them, we just started out on property at Mods and have done both Mods and Deluxe, and don't think we want Values after staying Mod and Deluxe - but we really do enjoy the few extra perks that come with staying at a Mod. We like the bigger in-room fridge and safe, not to mention more space. We also like having slides at the pools for our kids, the option of a table service restaurant, and the less chaotic atmosphere. We do take a mid-day swim/break at the resort, so our resort is not just a room to sleep in and store our stuff.

I think if we'd started out with a Value, our perception may be different, but unless budget became a serious concern, I think we'll continue to stay at mods and deluxe.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

FYI November can be too cold to swim so your 3 pool days may turn into much less. We were there Nov 2 to the 12th and got in the pool 1x for about an hour because it was just too cold otherwise. We were at POFQ. That'd be my choice over CBR because it's a nice pool, but more importantly it's queen beds and not fulls.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
FYI November can be too cold to swim so your 3 pool days may turn into much less. We were there Nov 2 to the 12th and got in the pool 1x for about an hour because it was just too cold otherwise. We were at POFQ. That'd be my choice over CBR because it's a nice pool, but more importantly it's queen beds and not fulls.
Oh, yeah, that's a good point. I was there the weekend of November 9th last year and it was too cold to swim at all. You might want to plan for needing all nine days to be at the park.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

I'm one of the few that will vote value unless free dining is available, then switch to moderate. The pools are great at the VALUE, kids can have fun and you can stay longer. Also, if the weather is cold you can spend more time in the parks without "losing."

With free dining the difference is minuscule so go moderate!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?

Last edited by Yellowstonetim; 06-13-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

You swore next time you would book a moderate......

There's a reason why you said this, so book a moderate! Forget the difference in price, or all the other reasons why you shouldn't book the moderate. Just book it!

But if I were you I would book POR or POFQ and not CBR because they still have double beds.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: