Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
candygirl83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Are you referring to a room only reservation (as opposed to a package with park tickets/dining plan) or a trip where you do not visit any parks and just hang out at the resort? We have done the latter. It was only for two days/one night and we stayed at POR. We loved having easy access to DTD where we spent most of our time, and we liked being able to walk over to POFQ for change of scenery. We also spent a lot of time at the pool, and preferred the quiet pools where there weren't as many people. We also went to the boardwalk which we found boring during the day, and went around the monorail resorts as well. We did this after a cruise so it worked fine for us, but I would be bored if we had stayed any longer without doing the parks.
A room only stay, no visiting the parks
candygirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
ksmummee
Earning My Ears

We are doing a resort only stay this July at AKL. There are SO many things to do outside the parks, and I'm really excited to experience them without feeling like Im wasting park time outside the park (hope that makes sense). We plan on doing a lot of animal watching, pool time (and we are DVC, so we get to pool hop), enjoy all the activities that AKL has to offer, Downtown, Boardwalk, fireworks from Polynesian beach, Fort Wilderness activities, and be away from the crowds!
ksmummee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

We're in the process of planning a resort only stay for February in conjunction with runDisney's Glass Slipper Challenge.

I'm really excited to try all the other things WDW has to offer without being distracted by the temptation of the parks. We're planning on mini golfing, riding Characters in Flight in DTD, spending lots of time at our resort (rented points to stay deluxe) and visiting other resorts!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

We did a 5-night stay with just 1 park day last year. It was actually very relaxing. We choose CBR and DD loved the pool area - she would have stayed there the whole time if we let her. Besides the pools, there are recreation activities available at the resorts, mini-golf, DTD, Fort Wilderness has a lot to offer (and we didn't make it there last year - next time), fireworks from the Poly beach, depending on time of year the ESPN WWoS might have an event to watch, and visiting other resorts is another favorite activity.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Don't forget about Fort Wilderness; there is a lot to do there without going to a park; horse back riding, bbq, Hoop Dee Doo, wagon rides, pony rides for the little ones, etc.
circus4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ride View Post
We go to Disney for the parks. IMHO there are better places to go for a "resort only" stay. On the Disney side I would prefer a Disney cruise to a resort only stay.
agree. we book room only but either add tickets or buy somewhere else. we often don't add dining. for 2 adults and one child its not a good value especially with a cl stay.

never been to disney and not done a park.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl83 View Post

Thank you and I did do AoA and a one day pass to HS
Happy for you!

If you want something free to do one evening.. You could go th Fort Wilderness and participate in the campfire singalong with Chip and Dale. You can buy a s'more kit or perhaps bring your own supplies for smores

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

Trip Reports:
For the First Time in Forever - A Trip to See My Son March in MK Feb 2014

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52227352

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
mdsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I would love to do a resort only stay, we love visiting all the resorts, dining as a night out rather than than just to fuel up for the parks, golf, boating, mini golf, water parks, swimming, shopping, long lies, sitting on the balcony with a book and a glass of wine, I could go on forever. Unfortunelty we always talk ourselfs into a day or two then it snowballs but one day...
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #24
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I did an all resorts, no parks trip for 8 days, solo, a few years ago. My home base is POR.

It has the great advantages of multiple pools, lounge, great entertainment, one of the best food courts on property, and..... it has the extra added bonus of the water taxi to DTD for some lovely shopping, great bars, and use of the bus hub in the evenings.

I would take a bus to a park and transfer to the resort bus, have a lovely meal, walk around the resort, have a drink, etc. Then I would take the DTD bus to the bus hub and walk over to the boat dock. The water taxis run every 10 minutes after 4 pm, so you never waited long for one to come get you. It was a lovely way to end the evening.

I hung out a lot by the pool and read four books. One day, it was a bit chilly and I never left the room - it was heavenly. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

In August we're going for 12 nights with 5 park days. The rest of the time we are doing Gatorland, bowling at DTD and maybe a movie, checking out other resorts and just enjoying the 2 resorts (split stay) where we're staying and pools.

In October we're going for 6 nights (no park days) in our camper at Fort Wilderness. We have 1 day planned at SeaWorld. My kids were given the choice of a beach trip or Disney no parks and they chose the no parks trip. We are relaxing, enjoying the pool, water parade, fireworks from the beach, campfire sing along with Chip/Dale, riding the balloon at DTD, shopping, etc....

Oct 2014 POP***Oct 2013 The Fort***Aug 2013 POP/POR***Dec 2012 ASMo ***Aug 2012 ASMo/POR *** 2011 The Fort ***2010 Wilderness Lodge***2009 & 2007 The Fort ***2006- POFQ***1993- Poly Honeymoon
DH/myself the twins: DS15DD15
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

We always do 11+ days at WDW room only and add only 4 park days when we arrive. We do one park every other day and we enjoy the resort so much more. It is a VERY relaxing vacation. We don't come home tired like most people when they return from Disney...and the reason we do 4 parks is so that the kids get to visit them at least one. I've thought of cutting down and doing just a 2 day park hopper and knock two parks in one day . Don't know if we'll do that just yet, but the kids LOVE spending time at the resort just as much.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I did it last year. We stayed GF RPC and rented a cabana at the pool every day. We visited different resorts for dinner every night.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I did it last year. We stayed GF RPC and rented a cabana at the pool every day. We visited different resorts for dinner every night.
This is what we do, GF RPC, minus the Cabana every day. We absolutely love it!

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #29
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

We are doing a 3 night post-cruise stay at the Poly because the airfare for 5 was almost $500 cheaper by waiting three days to fly. We figured that combined with the 30% summer discount, this meant our stay at the Poly came with close to a 50% discount compared to rack rate (or so we managed to convince ourselves). We are looking forward to enjoying everything the resort has to offer.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
Nixie
DIS Veteran

I couldn't do it. I couldn't be that close to the parks and not go. The whole reason we go to Disney is because of the parks. We do enjoy the resorts, but not enough to base a whole trip around them. I could see doing this if I was a DVCer or if I lived like 2 hours away from Disney and went every other weekend, but since we are neither, it will never happen.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: