Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
rachael95
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier - still a must do for you?

Should we still do Le Cellier or should we try something else?

Le Cellier used to be one of our must do restaurants. We loved the beer cheese soup and the feeling of the place. But it's been 8 years since we ate there and I've seen some mixed reviews recently.

We're on the dining plan, though I was thinking of paying oop for it no matter what since we're eating at several other places as well.

Aside from some Indian food (I really don't like curry), we are fairly willing to try new things.

All the other restaurants, with the exception of Boma, that we're eating at are brand new for us.

We are eating at these places during the trip:

Raglan Road
Boma breakfast
Princess breakfast in Norway
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Liberty Tree Tavern
Tucker House

So what do you suggest?

Thanks!

*Off Property - August 1999 *AKL - September 2003 *Dolphin - December 2004 *POR - May 2005 *Off Property - October 2005 *Got to visit 1/2 day at Animal Kingdom after a conference in Oct. 2007
rachael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I still really like Le Cellier. Some folks say the food has gone downhill, but to me the filet mignon with mushroom risotto has been pretty consistent. Mine has always been very yummy and cooked as requested. The cheese soup is also still very good, as are the pretzel bread sticks. In terms of atmosphere, the place is pretty much the same. It still looks the same. The service can be hit or miss, but that was true before it became a Sig. I don't think it's a good (i.e., economical) use of TS credits, but paying OOP is fine.

Of the other places you're going to...are you going to LTT for lunch or dinner? The menu is very different between the two meals. Lunch is a la carte with the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. Dinner is family style Thanksgiving dinner. I much prefer lunch because of the toffee cake (no ooey gooey at dinner).

TI was pretty good, but I liked VN better. VN is more casual, but with really good food. VN has pasta dishes, as well as really good thin-crust pizza. The arancini appetizer and the Coppa Di Brutti Ma Buoni sundae is outstanding.

I really like Raglan Road. The food is very good and the service has been good as well. If you go during dinner time, there is Irish dancing, which can be fun to watch.

Over at AK, I would recommend Yak & Yeti. Tusker House was good, but I liked Yak & Yeti better. It has Asian influenced food (so some curry, but lots of other choices).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I love Le Cellier.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer

We love Le Cellier too!! In fact, we will be eating there twice on our upcoming trip!! We also order the filet, and it has always been cooked perfectly. This is one of the restaurants that is a must for us. When I mentioned changing our second reservation for another, my family looked at me like I had two heads, lol!!!
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

We stopped going

when it became a signature restaurant. They eliminated lunch and made it an all day menu and the prices jumped big time. I was making ADR's for this weekend and was surprised to see many open times available...the 2 credits on the dining plan are making it not such a good deal and out of pocket there are better options like Captain's Grille, Olivia's, Raglan Road and many more.

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Zife
Mouseketeer

I've only ever had Le Cellier once, and I wasn't a huge fan. Personally, if I'm going to spend 2 Credits, I'd much rater go someplace like Jiko or Yachtsman.

Jan 2014? - Walt Disney World Marathon
Aug 2013 - California/D23/Disneyland Adventure
Sept/Oct 2011 - AKL, DxDP/GF, Platinum/Off World
Dec 2009 - AKL, DxDP
Feb 2008 - Off World/AKL/POFQ/Off World
May 1998 - Off World
Zife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We still love the mushroom filet It's a must do for my DH
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

It was a good DDP deal for 1 credit, not so much for 2 (it's probably closer to a 1 1/2 credit location). It was never a real Must-Do for me, I liked it, but not head over heels for it (Sanaa and San Angel Inn however....).

If you're looking for a similar type of food, try Yachtsman over at Yacht Club. A bit better quality, service, and atmosphere, and just a short walk away from the International Gate at Epcot.

However, if you decide to do LC, it's still (at least, as of 2011 when I was last there ) decent and if you have proper expectations, you'll be fine. (Note: A ton of the "mixed reviews" have also been from people having impossible expectations of the restaurant. Some are also due to taste issues, which are much more relevant).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

I eaten at Le Cellier 3 times. The last time was within a few weeks of the switch to signature status. The 1st time was great, one of the best meals I'd had but after that it was downhill. By the 3rd trip my steak tasted like it was boiled. They must have not had the pan hot enough because you could tell the meat must have given off a lot of liquid and basically boiled instead of seared...tough, bland, and just yucky. I haven't been back since.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

We last had dinner at Le Cellier in January, and we are still talking about what a wonderful dinner it was! Just the best, very memorable, and we can't wait to go back on our next trip in December.
Wherever you go, hope you have a great time!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We've eaten there twice while it was still one credit. In fact the last time was only a day or two before it became two credits for dinner.
We enjoyed it, but it wasn't our absolute favourite. We were on the deluxe dining plan and I do remember all of us being way too stuffed to eat dessert. In fact the waiter tried to convince us to box it up and take it for later but we were so full we didn't even want to see it.

I don't think I would go again on the DDP for 2 credits, though I might go out of pocket for lunch sometime.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

For our trip next year, we're definitely going to try Le Cellier. We're going on the deluxe dining plan, so we'll have the credits to spare. I know it's gotten some mixed reviews on here, but I've had some family members and good friends tell me that they've had wonderful meals there. Hopefully it hasn't gone downhill since their most recent visit last year.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
NicolaFred
Earning My Ears

I think you would really like Kouzzina on the boardwalk. I wouldnt bother with Le'Cellier its overpriced for the same quality food at a 1 credit restaurant. I personally thought it was average at best, with standout individual items.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I'm a value seeker so Le Cellier was a must do for me when it was 1 dining credit. Now that it is 2 credits I would not return because I believe that there are much better signature restaurants.
One of my new top picks is Portobello in Downtown Disney.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

We really adored the mushroom fillet and maple creme brûlée but as good as it is the restaurant as a whole to us isn't worth 2 T'S. I really miss it tho, maybe if we get to do deluxe dining we can go back

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: