Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
doriemg
Mouseketeer

Atm

Hi all,

Got my countdown going to my August cruise on the Wonder and now all sorts of questions are beginning to pop up in my mind. For instance:

Is there an ATM on the ship or do you really not need much money because everything can be charged to your KTTW card?

What about tipping for bartenders and room service delivery - can that be charged to your KTTW card?

Just in case we do need cash, does anyone know where a convenient ATM is in Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan?

Do the businesses in Vancouver accept American money or do we need to have a stash of Canadian money on hand for things such as tipping, and restaurants. Just wondering since we'll be staying overnight at the Pan Pacific before the cruise leaves.

Thanks to everyone in advance. I've gotten some really valuable advice during the planning phase of my trip thanks to you all on this board.
doriemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemg View Post
Hi all,

Got my countdown going to my August cruise on the Wonder and now all sorts of questions are beginning to pop up in my mind. For instance:

Is there an ATM on the ship or do you really not need much money because everything can be charged to your KTTW card?

What about tipping for bartenders and room service delivery - can that be charged to your KTTW card?

Just in case we do need cash, does anyone know where a convenient ATM is in Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan?

Do the businesses in Vancouver accept American money or do we need to have a stash of Canadian money on hand for things such as tipping, and restaurants. Just wondering since we'll be staying overnight at the Pan Pacific before the cruise leaves.

Thanks to everyone in advance. I've gotten some really valuable advice during the planning phase of my trip thanks to you all on this board.
The ship operates cashless. You only use your KTTW.

Any specialty drinks or room service (drinks - food is free) will automatically add an 18% gratuity. You can charge additional tips to the card however. They only time you would need cash are:

* Room service if you only order food and no drinks
* Baggage handlers
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

I don't know anything about the port set up for the Alaskan cruises, but I can tell you that there was no ATM on the Wonder when we were on her in October.
EVERYTHING on board the ship can be charged to your onboard account (KTTW card) except for room service tips and luggage assistance on the pier. You just settle up before you debark.

If you register a charge/credit card with DCL, they'll issue you a tally on demand at Guest Services and you can keep track that way.

We did that regularly on our last cruise, and it was a good thing because we found charges that weren't ours on our bill. It was quickly straightened out with profuse apologies, and this was the first time that we'd had this issue aboard ship.

I usually bring some cash with me when we have a cruise with port visits- just to be prepared.

HTH!

Last edited by *Flower*; 06-23-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling
*Flower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemg View Post
Hi all,

Is there an ATM on the ship or do you really not need much money because everything can be charged to your KTTW card? No ATM onboard the ships.

What about tipping for bartenders and room service delivery - can that be charged to your KTTW card? Drink orders in the bars and from drink servers will have an automatic 15% gratuity added. This tip is pooled to be shared by all drink servers and bartenders. If you tip additionally, that tip will go directly to whoever you give it to. Room service has no auto tip. Generally the tip is in cash, but you can add it to the bill presented upon delivery.

Just in case we do need cash, does anyone know where a convenient ATM is in Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan? Don't know specifics, but all those cities have banks/ATMs all over the place.

Do the businesses in Vancouver accept American money or do we need to have a stash of Canadian money on hand for things such as tipping, and restaurants. Just wondering since we'll be staying overnight at the Pan Pacific before the cruise leaves. Generally most businesses who deal with US travelers will take US currency. You will get any change back in Canadian currency.

I've answered in red.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

You can write a check for $100 per person (maybe adult, we were just 2 adults), and Guest Services will give you cash. That was the only way to get cash other than finding an ATM at a port.
RosiePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
The ship operates cashless. You only use your KTTW.

Any specialty drinks or room service (drinks - food is free) will automatically add an 18% gratuity. You can charge additional tips to the card however. They only time you would need cash are:

* Room service if you only order food and no drinks
* Baggage handlers
Just to correct - the auto gratuity is 15%.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

FWIW: After our cruise on the Fantasy last fall, and on the Wonder last month, we got e-mail surveys from DCL and a question on both surveys asked whether we would use an ATM onboard the ship if it were available.

So they're definitely considering it, but since most everything is charged to our KTTW account, I answered on the surveys that we probably wouldn't use an onboard ATM.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Just use your card.

If you need cash to tip someone; a porter or someone, you'd want ones and fives anyway, and ATMs don't generally give those out. (we do have a CU in my town that gives 5s but I think I know of 2 that do that) So you want to hit your bank before you go, get your ones and fives, and stash them away for those times that you want to tip in cash.

For Vancouver, we use cards and cash, but we're staying up there and eating at JapaDog (street vendor of Japanese-inspired hot&veggie dogs) and want cash anyway. There's a "green machine" ATM around the corner from Robson that we use and they charge minimal fees when we use our CU card. Other than that we just use cards.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

the surveys after our last several cruises have included the question: Would you use an ATM onboard for a small fee?

I SAY NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! in addition to the "small" fee, they would probably add an automatic gratuity to it as well

Guest Services does a fine job handling / changing denominations for us. We bring enough cash for our needs in larger bills and use guest services to break them into smaller amounts (for shore excursion gratuities, souvenirs, etc). If, er, I mean WHEN, DCL installs the ATM's we will adjust how we bring cash with us (lots and lots of smaller denominations)
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I also see no need for ATM onboard. That said we always bring about $50 in small denominations to use for porters, room service tips, excursion tips, rental car shuttle driver, etc.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
AddysMama
Earning My Ears

On our first cruise, the small bills is what I overlooked and worried about the entire night before sailing. I took 20's or higher but forgot that there wouldn't be a way to break them. Our hotel ATM dispensed 20's. Thankfully, Guest Services took a check for cash and that helped, they also broke my 100 bill. I was so worried about bringing enough cash that I overlooked bringing the right denominations of it.

WDW: 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011
College Program - Magic Kingdom, Pecos Bill's: 2000
Disney Fantasy 7 Day Cruise - Castaway Cay, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico Jan 2013
Disney Fantasy 7 Day Cruise - St Maarten, St Thomas and Castaway Cay Nov 2013
AddysMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Alfiebookshop
Earning My Ears

Can you purchase in the stores onboard with a credit card? We have booked 2 rooms and the second room has our son and his girlfriend - we are in a dilemma whether to have both their KTTW charge cards - we are happy to pay for all food, drink, excursions but are just not sure if she wants to buy gifts
Alfiebookshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiebookshop View Post
Can you purchase in the stores onboard with a credit card? We have booked 2 rooms and the second room has our son and his girlfriend - we are in a dilemma whether to have both their KTTW charge cards - we are happy to pay for all food, drink, excursions but are just not sure if she wants to buy gifts

Nope. But she could simply add cash to her onboard account. Or buy gift cards ahead of time to apply. Or give you a check later?
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

87 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiebookshop View Post
All purchases onboard are done with the KTTW card. You must designate how you are going to pay for the charges to each KTTW card. You cannot specify a limit on what/how much each KTTW card can charge. You can turn off charging on any KTTW card.

You'll need to figure out whether you want your son and/or his girlfriend have charging privileges or not.

I did read some time ago that Disney Gift Cards can be used in the gift shops, but I don't know if that's true or not.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: