Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Buster131
Earning My Ears

Carry ur own water?

Have you brought a case of water to the ship and how did you bring it on board. I'm assuming no one brought it in their carry on. I think I read you couldn't pack it in a suit case, am I wrong? It irks me to pay $25 for a 12pack when I can get 40pack for $4 @ Costco. We are driving so lugging it is not an issue. But, sometimes the complexity out weights the cost.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

It doesn't necessarily have to be IN a carry on bag, but you do need to carry it on. They don't want large amounts of liquid in the luggage incase it breaks open. Now most people have gotten away with packing and letting the porters bring it onboard. So it's your call. But the rules state that liquids like, alcohol, water, soda, should be carried onboard.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

We just bring our own refillable bottles and fill them at the pop station with ice and water. Their water is good and it sure beats lugging bottled water on board.

On this cruise I"m reading that I can't bring my back pack cooler :-(. We've always used this on our excursions with our refillable bottles. So not sure it's even worth it to bring our own water bottles anymore.
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

We also bring refillable bottles. The water on the ship is great.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

On our first cruise, we bought the bottled water onboard. Since then, we just bring empty refillable water bottles to take on our excursions and fill them on the ship. The water on the ship is treated the same way the bottled water is, if not better.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster131 View Post
Have you brought a case of water to the ship and how did you bring it on board. I'm assuming no one brought it in their carry on. I think I read you couldn't pack it in a suit case, am I wrong? It irks me to pay $25 for a 12pack when I can get 40pack for $4 @ Costco. We are driving so lugging it is not an issue. But, sometimes the complexity out weights the cost.
If you bring your own water onboard, DCL requires that you bring it in your carryon bags. The biggest reason for not placing beverages in checked bags is the handling that they get from dock to your room. Here are a couple of pictures showing how the luggage waits to be delivered (and believe me, the bags were thrown there)

I will point out it's really not necessary to bring bottled water onboard (or purchase it onboard, for that matter). All the water (whether from the drink station, in the pools, making ice, preparing food, in the shower) is processed the same as bottled water - reverse osmosis and filtered. Like PP, we just bring our own personal refillable water bottles onboard to fill up in our room.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
mordecai
Mouseketeer

We just carry around our 52 ounce bubba mugs. They fit in our carry-around bags and we refill them at the water station or in our room sink.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
FamilyofDisneyFans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwad View Post
On this cruise I"m reading that I can't bring my back pack cooler :-(. We've always used this on our excursions with our refillable bottles. So not sure it's even worth it to bring our own water bottles anymore.
Where did you see that? I was planning on bringing mine on the cruise? Thanks for any help!
FamilyofDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyofDisneyFans View Post
Where did you see that? I was planning on bringing mine on the cruise? Thanks for any help!
Quote:
Food COOLERS containing personal snack foods and DRINKS may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.
DCL does not allow coolers onboard, but again, most people have been able to bring them onboard.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I will point out it's really not necessary to bring bottled water onboard (or purchase it onboard, for that matter). All the water (whether from the drink station, in the pools, making ice, preparing food, in the shower) is processed the same as bottled water - reverse osmosis and filtered. Like PP, we just bring our own personal refillable water bottles onboard to fill up in our room.
I will only say that this isn't always true. Our DS has thrown up on day 5 of our cruises every time he drank the ship's water--every time--and has never thrown up when we stuck with bottled water. Needless to say we buy him the bottled stuff.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
I will only say that this isn't always true. Our DS has thrown up on day 5 of our cruises every time he drank the ship's water--every time--and has never thrown up when we stuck with bottled water. Needless to say we buy him the bottled stuff.
That's interesting.

I think the ships water tastes better than any bottled water I have ever had, and I have a fairly sensitive stomach as well. I usually snicker at people lugging bottled water onboard as I know that isn't necessary for us to do.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

I like having some bottled water because I prefer to take a sealed bottle with us when getting off the ship. We toss it into the bag and don't have to worry about it leaking or making sure it's upright.

Also, we like to have some drinks in the cabin (pop and water). I don't want to have to run up to the pool deck to pick up a drink if we're relaxing on the balcony or in the cabin (the only place outside of the dining rooms that non-alcholic beverages are included in your cruise fare).
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
That's interesting.

I think the ships water tastes better than any bottled water I have ever had, and I have a fairly sensitive stomach as well. I usually snicker at people lugging bottled water onboard as I know that isn't necessary for us to do.
I should have mentioned that DS does the same thing when we go to WDW and pretty much anywhere else if he drinks the local water. On the fifth day--almost always exactly the fifth day--of the trip he throws up. If he drinks bottled water, no problems. All of the rest of us are fine. It's just weird.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If you bring your own water onboard, DCL requires that you bring it in your carryon bags. The biggest reason for not placing beverages in checked bags is the handling that they get from dock to your room. Here are a couple of pictures showing how the luggage waits to be delivered (and believe me, the bags were thrown there)
I don't think all luggage is treated the same. I asked the porters if I could check a case of water and they said yes (the guy helping me even checked with a supervisor). I also check a new fan I'd purchase in a not-so-sturdy box. Our luggage arrived in our cabin hours before the fan and the case of water. I'm sure they were handled separately to prevent damage.

A case of water is designed to withstand some pretty rough handling anyway. It's packaged to be loaded and stacked and dropped. If DCL hands the authority to check luggage over to agents and the agents tell me it's okay to check it, I'm going to check it. Those scanning carry on are also not CMs and they follow DCL orders to not allow coolers or irons or extension cords, so why is the porters' acceptance of a case of water (not even trying to sneak it on, but just out there for all to see) not acceptable? DCL ignores its own written policies all the time (it was always prohibited to take coolers on, they just didn't enforce it; the kids in Edge are supposed to be 11, but there are often 10 year olds allowed in), so I'm taking this as just another 'guideline' that is not enforced.

I'll go report myself on the confessions thread now. But I'll check a case of water as long as they'll take them.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
mrsmith9
Mouseketeer

My wife is making me carry on a 12 pack of bottled water, a 12 pack of Gatorade, and 2 bottles of liquor in my roll-a-board carry-on. It weighs about 50 pounds and I have no desire to lug it around till our room becomes available at 1:30. But as the Dutiful Husband, I'll do what I'm told?

I suggested splitting it between two carry-ons. She nixed that idea, said it would be easier for ME to handle one really heavy bag rather than two relatively heavy bags. The idea of me taking one bag and her the other was/is not an option.

Did I mention that she is also insisting, since this is our first Disney Cruise, that we take the 1pm Welcome Aboard Ship Tour. Which means I've got to lug that 50+ lbs bag up, down, and all around that damn ship for an hour before I can drop it off in the room.

To lighten the load one of those bottles of liquor, might not last the first hour.
mrsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: