Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
mrsmith9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
You can also add it to your cruise fare and pay it with your cruise faire with your final payment. You can even pay it up to 48 prior to sailing.
Why would you pre-pay it if they are just going to charge it to your on board account anyway? Why give Disney an interest free loan?
mrsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
wwwosie
Mom by Day - Disney Freak by Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith9 View Post

Why would you pre-pay it if they are just going to charge it to your on board account anyway? Why give Disney an interest free loan?
1.- One less thing to worry about
2.- it becomes part of your budget. And if you think about it, you are already giving then a free loan since the cruise is paid 90 days out. $84.00 a person for a 7 day cruise won't earn you much interst.
3.- If you use the Disney rewards Visa card, you have 6 months to pay it off. This also works if you prepay on board charges. It doesn't work if you pay your onboard charges with the card once on the ship, then it becomes a regular purchase.
wwwosie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

A little off subject, but it's not always true that there won't be shocks. On our first cruise, I registered a credit card to be billed. I went through my cruise without checking my balance because I felt confident that I knew what the total would be since I had all my signed receipts. When I got my bill, I was extremely shocked. My card had been charged for someone else's excursions. Not sure how that happened. It took almost 6 months to get it straightened out and the charges removed from my card. I don't know why it took them so long to realize that my family of 2 could not have been doing the Mayan Adventure for a family of 5 at the exact same time that we were in a submarine at the bottom of the ocean in Cozumel. I haven't allowed Disney put my onboard charges to a credit card since. I settle up with cash at the end of the cruise after seeing an itemized list of every thing billed to my account.
gssmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Gratuities of $12 per person per night are automatically added to your on-board account at the end of the cruise. In the grand scheme of things this isnít very much. However, after already paying several thousand for a cruise I feel like Iím being nickeled and dimmed with these automatic gratuities atomically added.

To improve guest relations and perception, why not just include the extra $12 per person per night to the base fair. 2 people on a three night would be $2,441 instead of $2,369 barely a noticeable difference, and Disney can set themselves apart by touting the fact that unlike other cruise lines you donít need to tip their servers or room attendant, unless you desire to provide them extra.
There are several other cruiselines that have what they call a "hotel service charge". It really just the gratuities under a different name. And, while it's possible to remove them, it's difficult. You have to give reasons why you are removing them. And anyone receiving cash tips has to turn them in until it's determined whether or not your tips (HSC) was in place or not. If you remove your HSC, and tip in cash, the person receiving the cash must turn it in to be pooled and divided among those who get paid out of the HSC. And it usually covers back of the scenes personnel, also.

DCL is trying to make it easier to handle the tipping concept, while still allowing it to be a personal choice if you tip or not.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Gratuities of $12 per person per night are automatically added to your on-board account at the end of the cruise. In the grand scheme of things this isnít very much. However, after already paying several thousand for a cruise I feel like Iím being nickeled and dimmed with these automatic gratuities atomically added.

To improve guest relations and perception, why not just include the extra $12 per person per night to the base fair. 2 people on a three night would be $2,441 instead of $2,369 barely a noticeable difference, and Disney can set themselves apart by touting the fact that unlike other cruise lines you donít need to tip their servers or room attendant, unless you desire to provide them extra.
The reason they don't just raise the price is because then they will be "EVEN MORE" expensive than the other cruise lines than they are now.

Frankly, I am NOT in favor of the "Automatic Gratuity" - I understand why it has been implemented. BUT as the servers / stewards become more accustomed to "earning" it from everyone, I have the fear that DCL's service will fall to the levels of other cruise lines - and that will not be good. We took a NCL cruise - the itinerary was awesome, and the cruise was very inexpensive, and the timing worked out perfectly. BUT we could not have bought our DCL experience on NCL, and if you want to get nickled and dimed, NCL has it down to an art. One last rant - Freestyle cruising means you are invisible to the staff!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: