Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Yesterday dh and i started Christmas shopping for our kids in Best Buy.

One of our sons wants a car stereo because his car is 10 years old and doesn't have auxiliary jacks for his Iphone to plug in. So not wanting to invest in having a system installed in his older car, we were looking for an alternative. Dh suggested we look at small portable speakers that plug into the cigarette lighter and have an auxiliary jack. Salesperson one found us and was actually helpful to us in making a decision. Thanked the kid and headed on our way.

So we turned around to head to videogames for dd. When after taking only 2 steps we are greated by salesguy number 2. Told him what we were looking for, he showed us the game system and then stayed with us as we chose the games for the new system. Thanked him even after he said 'Oh shopping for your granddaughter? ' Dh and I are 45 and are usually mistaken for being younger than we are. Gave him the stinkeye and said 'Excuse me, it's for our daughter. '

Then the guy follows us around the rest of the store! Dh and I are just browsing and making idle chat about items we see. It's been ages since we've shopped together. We are enjoying looking around and are taking our time looking at tvs, etc.

We head to the tablets. Dh is interested in one so we start looking. Sales guy #2 appears again. 'So our kid friendly tablets are over here.' I say not looking for our kids, its for us. Thankfully, someone else stops the guy and asks him a question. Dh and I move on. We are commenting on smart phone covers. Guy is back with us interjects a comment on his preference. I am finally over him and say 'If we need your help we'll find you!'

Then we are stopped by the direct tv guy...

Sheesh! I don't think I look incompetent. Was it the fact I had a list in my hand? Was it that Best Buy expected more shoppers and overstaffed that day? Was it just a rogue salesguy?
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
tennvalgirl
DIS Veteran

Best Buy is always full of pushy salespeople when I go there.
I just tell them that I don't need their help but thanks anyway.
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Oh I agree tennvalgirl. This was the first time I'd encountered the guy who would stick with you as you browsed the WHOLE store! Didn't realize a personal shopper would be issued to us upon entering. Lol
Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Best Buy is really bad, you are hounded when you are browsing and can't find a sales person when you are ready to buy.

Furniture stores are the worst. One time DH and I were browsing and this pushy sales lady kept hounding us and asking us what we were looking for, when we would need delivery etc. We kept saying we were just looking and tried to loose her in the store. Well she stuck to us like glue. She was having trouble keeping up with us, I think she had either and ankle or a knee injury and was hobbling after us even though we said we were just browsing and did not need any assistance. It was almost comical.

I saw a huge set of stairs leading up to the second level and DH and I headed upstairs thinking she would not follow us up. When we were upstairs we started chuckling and praising ourselves for being so smart, believing we finally lost her. All of a sudden, a wall opened up and she stepped out saying, "oh we have some lovely sofa's over this way." Apparently there was a secret elevator! It was too much for us, we quickly said we were done looking and left.
anniemae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

That's funny. At our Best Buy you are lucky if someone offers to help you.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Best Buy has either overall store sales or individual sales goals. Or both. It's also entirely possible the Best Buy salesman, the DirecTV rep, and the furniture store salesperson all work on commission. I know Bob's Discount Furniture is commission.

No sales, no paycheck. NOT saying, intimidating, implying, hinting, suggesting, etc., that every customer must buy something.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Jeff in BigD
Totally Oldschool DISer!
On the DIS we're Friends and this is Central Perk..just don't call me Gunther!
aka Rico Suave
Knows the value of a cyber twinkie or two

I don't believe that Best Buy's people work on commission, but I would venture a guess that since they are a huge chain, they're probably pretty strict about being "helpful."

They probably also have secret shoppers that grade their "helpfulness", so they would rather seem overly-helpful (aka annoying), than risk reprimand or termination for not meeting the required standards.

I personally can't stand the chit-chat, so I do my homework ahead of time & then walk in wearing headphones. It cuts down on so much unnecessary conversation.

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese"
Jeff in BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in BigD
I don't believe that Best Buy's people work on commission, but I would venture a guess that since they are a huge chain, they're probably pretty strict about being "helpful."

They probably also have secret shoppers that grade their "helpfulness", so they would rather seem overly-helpful (aka annoying), than risk reprimand or termination for not meeting the required standards.

I personally can't stand the chit-chat, so I do my homework ahead of time & then walk in wearing headphones. It cuts down on so much unnecessary conversation.
I'm noticing more and more people shopping with headphones. As soon as I told the guy to leave us alone I was standing next to a lady with headphones. She must have been shopping there recently, too. Not a bad idea at all. I may be next.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Jeff in BigD
Totally Oldschool DISer!
On the DIS we're Friends and this is Central Perk..just don't call me Gunther!
aka Rico Suave
Knows the value of a cyber twinkie or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
I'm noticing more and more people shopping with headphones. As soon as I told the guy to leave us alone I was standing next to a lady with headphones. She must have been shopping there recently, too. Not a bad idea at all. I may be next.
I actually never leave the house without them. Any errands I run (grocery store, etc) by myself, I do with the ear buds in. I'd much rather listen to my music, an audiobook or podcast than have to listen to pushy sales people, screaming children, bored strangers, etc. I highly recommend it.

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese"
Jeff in BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
tennvalgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
Oh I agree tennvalgirl. This was the first time I'd encountered the guy who would stick with you as you browsed the WHOLE store! Didn't realize a personal shopper would be issued to us upon entering. Lol
It's like you said, you must have looked "vulnerable" to them ugh.

I have mastered the "leave me alone face" and I am not proud of it because a simple "no thanks" should suffice.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I can't recall ever having problems with sales people at our local Best Buy store. One usually comes up to us shortly after we enter the store, and asks if they can help and if they can we say yes, and let them know what we're looking for. If we're "just looking" we say so and they move on to help someone else. I wouldn't like being hounded by a pushy salesperson, and would probably end up doing like the OP did and tell them if we need their help we'll find them.

I did have the opposite happen once, shortly after we added a family room onto our house. DH didn't care how I furnished it so I took my Mom with me and we went to a larger city to go furniture shopping. The one store we stopped at there were two salespeople standing in the little "office area" of the store which happened to be in the middle of the store. Mom and I walked all the way around the store, and neither salesperson ever approached us to see if they could help. So we left. And we were the only potential customers in the store.

I ended up buying a large 5-piece sectional sofa, end tables, a glider rocker, and a dining room table and 6 chairs at the next store because the salesperson was helpful.

I kind of felt like I wanted to do a "Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman" thing and go back to the first store and wave my sales receipt in front of their faces and say "big mistake, HUGE...." and walk out.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in BigD View Post

We have secret shoppers at my work as well and you do have to hit the "key points" of customer service.

In addition you are more likely to make a purchase when you have someone helping you with electronics, esp. People have questions and sometimes are afraid to ask or would like to speak with you.

It is a "sales job" on the floor of the store.

As far as the guy following you OP, I would have been blunt and ask for some space in a polite way.

'Tis the season...
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
katie01
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
That's funny. At our Best Buy you are lucky if someone offers to help you.
Same here. But the all time worst is our Home Depot. I don't think I could help there even if my clothing were on fire
katie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennvalgirl View Post
It's like you said, you must have looked "vulnerable" to them ugh.

I have mastered the "leave me alone face" and I am not proud of it because a simple "no thanks" should suffice.
I also have a "look" I give when I want to be left alone...it is usually spot on. I don't have any problem at Best Buy but furniture shopping (or just browsing for ideas) at Raymore and Flannigan has frustrated me to no end. Apparently, their sales force is impervious to the "look" I have never encountered a more annoying bunch of sales people
Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
tennvalgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post
I also have a "look" I give when I want to be left alone...it is usually spot on. I don't have any problem at Best Buy but furniture shopping (or just browsing for ideas) at Raymore and Flannigan has frustrated me to no end. Apparently, their sales force is impervious to the "look" I have never encountered a more annoying bunch of sales people
Furniture stores are worse than Best Buy for sure.

I have had to tell a salesperson at Haverty's "I realize you're just doing your job, but I don't need your help I'm trying to REALLY look at this couch"
How can you really look at something if someone is constantly blabbing in your ear?
Smart salespeople give you their card with their name and number and leave you to look. JMO

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: