Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
travelingrlz
Earning My Ears

Aft Stateroom on Fantasy

Hi! Has anyone stayed in an aft stateroom? I booked 6188 on Fantasy. I know some of the "cons," a little noisy when pulling into port, movement/vibration can be felt. What about "pros?" I can't decide whether to keep this stateroom or change it?
travelingrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
robhawk
DIS Veteran

We were in 6182 in February. We just loved the location! Very easy to Cabanas, AP, and nightclubs. Beautiful views off the back of the ship.
We found the noise/vibrations to be a non issue!
Have a great trip!!!
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
disney honeymooners
Disneyholic

we have had an aft stateroom on our last two cruises and we will be in one on our upcoming Fantasy cruise. We love the views of Castaway Cay and our verandah is huge ( 10662 & 10664). It does vibrate when the ship is turning but we also had vibrations when we were on the wonder a little less aft and they were worse on it. we are heavy sleepers so any noises there were didn't bother us

disney honeymooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
aaklang
Mouseketeer

We just booked an aft cabin for our cruise next summer. I'm a little worried about the vibrations/noise, but overall I think it was a good choice. There were more things at the back of the ship that we wanted to be close to than the front: Cabanas, aquaduck, and kids club are all closer to the back. The forward cabins are close to the theater and the spas, I think, but not as much that we would use on a daily basis. Hoping I made a good choice!
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
californiamomofboys
Earning My Ears

We had room 6688 on the Dream in April and loved the balcony so much more than our second room on starboard side of ship. Did vibrate a bit, more noticeable on sofa bed than regular bed but nothing horrible. We were usually ready to get up At the time they were backing the ship into ports those mornings, so not a big deal for us. Would definitely book same room again.
californiamomofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

We stayed in 7182 on our recent Fantasy cruise. 6 of the 7 nights were perfectly fine. However, the night we left St. Thomas was a different story - the vibration in the room was horrible. I was shaking so bad in the bed. It wasn't noisy, per se, but the hangers in the closet kept banging together and we finally had to take them down. I went to Guest Services to see what was going on, and was told that we were sailing close to maximum speed and that's what was causing the vibration.

A few things worth mentioning...

- We left St. Thomas an hour late because of a late family (I didn't think the ship waited for latecomers, but ours most certainly did). I'm not sure if we were sailing faster than planned to make up that lost time.
- I tried laying on the fold-down sofa and felt much less vibration there than in the bed - I guess b/c it's firmer.
- My DH was sleeping in the same bed as me and it didn't bother him that much. I think everyone's tolerance for this sort of thing varies a lot. I asked on our cruise FB page if others staying in aft rooms were bothered by the vibration - some didn't even notice it and others said it was really bad.
- The vibration won't keep me from staying in an aft room again. I can handle most anything for one night - if it would be have been several nights in a row, that would be a different story.

ETA: Pros of being aft are being closer to the MDR's.

Last edited by caribbeandreaming; 06-21-2013 at 09:23 AM.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting this, and for the responses. I booked in 5190&5192 and was wondering about that. Additionally (in my case) I'm slightly worried about hearing the club underneath, however I don't know how much of a problem this will be. I'm guessing we'll be going to bed close to when everything is shutting down
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
JimGA
Mouseketeer

We stayed in the aft of the Dream and we noticed not much foot traffic in the hallways back there, you are off of the beaten path so one pro is that you will have very little hallway noise.

Another pro is veryu clsoe to the aft elevators.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
We stayed in the aft of the Dream and we noticed not much foot traffic in the hallways back there, you are off of the beaten path so one pro is that you will have very little hallway noise.

Which floor were you on?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
peterpan47
All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them...Walter E. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingrlz View Post
Hi! Has anyone stayed in an aft stateroom? I booked 6188 on Fantasy. I know some of the "cons," a little noisy when pulling into port, movement/vibration can be felt. What about "pros?" I can't decide whether to keep this stateroom or change it?
We were in 6688 (same room configuration on the other side of the ship from 6188) on the Fantasy for the May 11 Western Caribbean cruise. We enjoyed the room very much. We had stayed in 6192 on the Dream on the Inaugural Dream cruise and really liked the aft view and wanted the same room on the Fantasy, but it wasn't available, so we opted for 6688 instead. The verandah is larger than a verandah on the side of the ship, but not as large as 6190 or 6192. There is less wind on the back of the ship, so that is a plus. 6688 is kind of on the corner so the view is both aft and starboard. The flagpole is two staterooms down in 6192, but we didn't hear any noise from it at all in 6688. There is some engine noise in aft staterooms, but it has never been loud enough to bother us in any way. The only thing we found as a negative in this stateroom was that since the room isn't in the middle of hallway, but at the end, the room next door is at a 90 degree angle and it feels somewhat "tight" getting into the room with only one side of the entry door as open space. There was plenty of room to get in, and it was not a problem in any way, but it just felt a bit weird as something we were not used to in other staterooms.

All in all, we love the aft staterooms for the view and the privacy. The aft elevators are very close, and getting up to the buffet and drink stations is easy to do. The larger verandah without the added price is nice too. We would stay in this room again without reservation.

Mary

Cruises:
Past: Golden Princess (Pacific Coastal, 11/13); DCL Fantasy (West. Caribbean, 5/2013); DCL Wonder (Alaska, 5/2012); DCL Wonder (Mex.Riviera, 10/2011); DCL Dream (Inaugural Cruise, 1/2011); RCI Monarch (Bahamas, 9/2009), DCL Wonder (Bahamas, 8/2008)
Future: DCL Wonder (CTNowhere) 5/17/14; DCL Magic (Eastern Caribbean) 10/26/14; DCL Magic (Northern Europe) 5/30/15

Theme Parks:
Disneyland (Too many to count); WDW (2013, 2011, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002); Universal Orlando (Harry Potter; 2013, 2011); Universal LA (Numerous)

peterpan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post

Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
MichellelovesMickey
Mouseketeer

I stayed in 6188 in December 2011 on the Dream. LOVED IT!!! Quiet, great views while in port....noise & vibration going into port, but we were always up & awake anyway.
My husband and I just booked 6688 on the Fantasy for Dec. 2014. Cannot wait!! 6188 was not available 3 days ago

ASM-11/2001, WDW-12/2006, ASM-9/2007, POP -9/2008, WL-12/2010, POFQ/WL/BC-12/2011, POFQ-5/2012, BC/Poly/POR 6/2013, CR 1/2014, CR 11/2014, BC 12/2014......more to come

Disney Wonder-12/2010, Disney Dream-12/2011, Disney Dream-6/2013, Disney Magic-1/2014, Disney Dream 11/2014, Disney Fantasy-12/2014.......more to come
MichellelovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
onecoolpilot
Mouseketeer

Just as the others have said, for us the aft rooms are the best. To be fair, I have only sailed in aft rooms, so I can't compare it to any other position, but we liked it enough to book the same room on the Dream and Fantasy.

A little vibrations, not really distracting at all, but that's a really subjective thing. Super easy to get to everything at the back of the ship too. We were in 7192 both times. It's a bit of a trek to get to say Buena vista or the Walt theaters, but not that bad.

I'm sure you'll be happy with any room though, you ARE on a Disney ship after all. Have a great time, be safe, and be sure to report back about all the fun you have

onecoolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
Thanks for posting this, and for the responses. I booked in 5190&5192 and was wondering about that. Additionally (in my case) I'm slightly worried about hearing the club underneath, however I don't know how much of a problem this will be. I'm guessing we'll be going to bed close to when everything is shutting down

We loved 5190 on the Fantasy. The laundry is directly across the hall. We didn't hear any noise from the clubs at all. Wonderful that there is no foot traffic either since the hall ends just past your cabins. We've booked the same pair of rooms for next summer so we would have the connecting and extended balcony to sit and enjoy the view of the sea passing behind us.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing! I've kinda been stressing that the cabin would be too loud. Very encouraging to hear a first hand account!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: