Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #3211
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic
 
Tinkerbellie16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mile High Rockies
Posts: 3,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Just a heads up Tinkerbellie, Tikiman had pictures on his FB page of construction erosion barriers that have gone up. People who are currently on site have said that they "wrap almost entirely around the back of Tokelau" (likely because of its proximity to Tahiti & Rapa Nui) You might want to keep an eye on the construction updates for reports of actual construction walls going up in these same areas (nothing yet, but probably coming, just not sure when). You probably don't want a lovely view of that!

BTW, I know your pain with talking to the darned automated system. It NEVER gets our last name right - always have to go through the annoyance of several attempts before it lets me just speak to a CM!
Thanks for the heads up! I am keeping an eye out on Tikiman's facebook site and his website and will certainly adjust any requests accordingly For this reason alone, I have decided not to do online check-in (at least not yet!) The walls they have put up now do not bother us. And if they stay short or we could see the construction from our room, we would probably PREFER that! My husband has his own construction company and he is fascinated with Disney construction. Depending on what they are doing - and if we could see it - we might prefer the construction view! Yes, weird, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Au View Post
Does anyone know the answer to my question? TIA!
I see others have answered you as well but from my personal experience they will help you whether you do online check in or not (I have done both, several times!) Typically they have honored my room requests that I have called in advance and the times they haven't, they have moved me although I have had to wait for a room (and other times I haven't).

In general, I have prefered online check in only because of the shorter line off the magical express bus. But I have been renting a car the past few trips so we are the only ones in line (as long as you don't enter when ME is unloading!) In that situation, I notice no difference with online check in or not. In fact once we did online check in and they had nothing ready for us anyway and another time we didn't do online check in and everything was all set
__________________
DH ME DS (12) DD (10)


6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #3212
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran
 
jennifaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
My husband has his own construction company and he is fascinated with Disney construction. Depending on what they are doing - and if we could see it - we might prefer the construction view! Yes, weird, I know
Not weird at all! Or I'm weird with you. When I faxed in my request last week, I asked for "Construction View". My husband just graduated from college this year in Mechanical Design, and he's enthralled with watching things be built and torn down. He thought it'd be great to have a front row seat!
jennifaerie is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #3213
carly102982
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11

Hi Everyone. I will be staying at Poly for the first time on Dec 1-6. I have been doing lots of reading but all this construction info is overwhelming! Just looking for some any tips for a first timer and to clarify a few things?

You can do online check in60 days in advance right?
Which rooms are the remodeled ones? I seen lots of different views listed but my reservation just says standard view so I'm not sure what that even means?

The trip will be me, my husband, my mom and our 2 boys ages 3 and 5. Thanks for any help/ info. We have been to disney several times but always stayed at POP. We saved and were very excited to try Poly, but now I'm getting concerned.
carly102982 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #3214
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I am keeping an eye out on Tikiman's facebook site and his website and will certainly adjust any requests accordingly For this reason alone, I have decided not to do online check-in (at least not yet!) The walls they have put up now do not bother us. And if they stay short or we could see the construction from our room, we would probably PREFER that! My husband has his own construction company and he is fascinated with Disney construction. Depending on what they are doing - and if we could see it - we might prefer the construction view! Yes, weird, I know
Not weird, sounds like my DH! He's not in the construction industry, but he has a real interest in that kind of thing!
__________________

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #3215
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Au View Post
I did an online check-in for the first time. Will I be able to talk to the cast member and have them search for other available rooms, if I donít get our requested longhouse? I realize a request is not guaranteed, but I am hoping they can give me other options, if Iím not happy with our assigned room.
Yes, if you would like to try and get a different room/longhouse, you can talk to a CM. He/she will do everything they can to accommodate your request, but like a pp mentioned, it might involve some waiting if a different room is doable but not available right away .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2TwoMickeys View Post
Thanks for the link .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mickey mom View Post
All this talk about construction at the volcano pool and GCH in January is making me nervous. One or the other would be okay, but not both.
Do you really think they would close both at the same time? I considered changing our reservation but the Poly is our home away from home. Thinking about staying somewhere else makes me sad...
We are booked for a few nights right before Christmas and while I would be sad if the GCH is closed during our stay, we are sticking with the Poly with or without construction. We've only stayed at the Poly once, but that was enough for us to fall in love with everything about the resort and we are excited to give CL a try .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenluvs2go2disney View Post
At the Poly now. We are having a great time. Our first time staying club level. We haven't noticed much with the construction, just a silt fence going up. The volcano pool was closed tonight when we got back from the MK. Someone had an accident in it, so the kids were disappointed that they couldn't go on the slide.
Glad you're having a great time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly102982 View Post
Hi Everyone. I will be staying at Poly for the first time on Dec 1-6. I have been doing lots of reading but all this construction info is overwhelming! Just looking for some any tips for a first timer and to clarify a few things?

You can do online check in60 days in advance right?
Which rooms are the remodeled ones? I seen lots of different views listed but my reservation just says standard view so I'm not sure what that even means?

The trip will be me, my husband, my mom and our 2 boys ages 3 and 5. Thanks for any help/ info. We have been to disney several times but always stayed at POP. We saved and were very excited to try Poly, but now I'm getting concerned.
Yes, you can do OCI 60 days prior to arrival . The finish date for the longhouse refurbs is scheduled for sometime in October, so everything as far as the longhouses are concerned should be done by your stay in December .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #3216
thorphin
DIS Veteran
 
thorphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly102982 View Post
You can do online check in60 days in advance right?
Which rooms are the remodeled ones? I seen lots of different views listed but my reservation just says standard view so I'm not sure what that even means?

The trip will be me, my husband, my mom and our 2 boys ages 3 and 5. Thanks for any help/ info. We have been to disney several times but always stayed at POP. We saved and were very excited to try Poly, but now I'm getting concerned.
Online check in is 60 days in advance.

All rooms except those in Tahiti and Rapa Nui have been remodeled. These two longhouses will be converted to DVC, so you won't likely be assigned to them in December.

Standard view is sometimes listed as Garden view, but basically, you aren't paying extra for a view of the lagoon or MK. And you aren't paying extra for Club Level room categories. So, you'll get a view of other longhouses, gardens, pathways, pools, parking lot, or monorail. All of this depends on which room and which longhouse you are assigned to. You can make a longhouse/room REQUEST when you book, or by fax, or when you do online checkin. These are just requests, and it's just about as likely that you'll get your request honored as it is that you won't. So don't get your heart set on it. If you are really freaked out about parking lot view, you'll have to pay extra to guarantee yourself a lagoon or theme park view. Club level rooms are at the north end of the resort and also would not be overlooking a parking lot.
__________________




'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #3217
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...
 
Dannek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Where the ice blue roses grow..
Posts: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifaerie View Post
Not weird at all! Or I'm weird with you. When I faxed in my request last week, I asked for "Construction View". My husband just graduated from college this year in Mechanical Design, and he's enthralled with watching things be built and torn down. He thought it'd be great to have a front row seat!
Sounds like someone is going to have to start a new thread for all the people who are going to the Poly specifically for the construction and views of it....lol.

Builders unite!
Dannek is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #3218
twinmom1107
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 33

We'll be staying @ Poly Nov 11-17th and we are sooooo excited. It's our first time!! I was going to do online check in and request a building but...I've never been there, LOL so I have absolutely no clue what to request! What's everyone's favorite? Just one thing to keep in mind and that is my little guy is in a wheelchair so we did make ressies for an accessible room. Also, with all this construction talk going on, should I make a request now and hope for the best?..or...wait a bit and see if more info. comes in regarding the locations of the buildings that are being renovated. Construction or not ~ we are super excited and will make the best of whatever craziness we find!
twinmom1107 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #3219
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom1107 View Post
We'll be staying @ Poly Nov 11-17th and we are sooooo excited. It's our first time!! I was going to do online check in and request a building but...I've never been there, LOL so I have absolutely no clue what to request! What's everyone's favorite? Just one thing to keep in mind and that is my little guy is in a wheelchair so we did make ressies for an accessible room. Also, with all this construction talk going on, should I make a request now and hope for the best?..or...wait a bit and see if more info. comes in regarding the locations of the buildings that are being renovated. Construction or not ~ we are super excited and will make the best of whatever craziness we find!
I believe Tikiman's website(not FB) shows the various bldg and location of the HA rooms.
Special needs use to block a particular room but not sure if thy still do that or not
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #3220
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran
 
jennifaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannek View Post
Sounds like someone is going to have to start a new thread for all the people who are going to the Poly specifically for the construction and views of it....lol.

Builders unite!
Ha ha! I figure I'll get a nicer room that way.
jennifaerie is offline  
Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #3221
Ellielovesdisney
Mouseketeer
 
Ellielovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 403

Carly...see if you can request Samoa - ground floor. We once had a standard view ground floor facing the pool that you could walk off the terrace and see the fireworks in about 10 feet. Loved it with kids and close to the pool and GCH.
Have fun! We'll be there in 2 weeks!!!!!
__________________
Holly
Richard (DH), Ellie (DD10), Sam (DS6)
Ellielovesdisney is offline  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #3222
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!
 
Tikiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I believe Tikiman's website(not FB) shows the various bldg and location of the HA rooms.
Special needs use to block a particular room but not sure if thy still do that or not
I do have it on the longhouse floor plans but I have been working on new floor plans with more detail and showing where the new HA rooms are. I am also showing where the king bed rooms are. I just have not posted them yet but I have a list of all rooms from the Polyneian that have the updated room view catagories, which HA rooms were added, etc. I am in the middle of creating a new site so some of the new info has made it onto that and not on to the current site. I have not decided if I will release the new site because I have considered not doing this anymore. I will see if I can put together a list of the HA rooms and post it on my Disabilities page. I have started to update the info on the right side of the Longhouse page that shows the room numbers of the HA rooms. I am not sure if I will update Rapa Nui and Tahiti because I believe they will come out of the available rooms soon.
__________________
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!
Tikiman is offline  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #3223
Jrabbit910
Keep Calm and get your Sparkle on!!
 
Jrabbit910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: second star to the right!
Posts: 3,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post

I do have it on the longhouse floor plans but I have been working on new floor plans with more detail and showing where the new HA rooms are. I am also showing where the king bed rooms are. I just have not posted them yet but I have a list of all rooms from the Polyneian that have the updated room view catagories, which HA rooms were added, etc. I am in the middle of creating a new site so some of the new info has made it onto that and not on to the current site. I have not decided if I will release the new site because I have considered not doing this anymore. I will see if I can put together a list of the HA rooms and post it on my Disabilities page. I have started to update the info on the right side of the Longhouse page that shows the room numbers of the HA rooms. I am not sure if I will update Rapa Nui and Tahiti because I believe they will come out of the available rooms soon.
Hi Steve. Are u looking to make a new tikiman page all together or a new face book page? I do hope u stick around. Ur a wonderful source of information and a lot of people stand by u. I wish u luck in whatever u do.
__________________
The happiest place on earth is wherever my children are.

Jrabbit910 is offline  
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #3224
dchi
Mouseketeer
 
dchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 225

Hi, we will be staying at the Poly next month with our Grandchildren. Where do I purchase the marshmallow roasting kit for the firepit?
__________________
dchi is offline  
Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #3225
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I do have it on the longhouse floor plans but I have been working on new floor plans with more detail and showing where the new HA rooms are. I am also showing where the king bed rooms are. I just have not posted them yet but I have a list of all rooms from the Polyneian that have the updated room view catagories, which HA rooms were added, etc. I am in the middle of creating a new site so some of the new info has made it onto that and not on to the current site. I have not decided if I will release the new site because I have considered not doing this anymore. I will see if I can put together a list of the HA rooms and post it on my Disabilities page. I have started to update the info on the right side of the Longhouse page that shows the room numbers of the HA rooms. I am not sure if I will update Rapa Nui and Tahiti because I believe they will come out of the available rooms soon.
Tikiman Your site and FB page is a wonderful and much needed by the guests of the Poly, past present and future but I can understand the great amount of time it must take to keep up.

I do have to say yours is the only site that I have encountered which has info on HA rooms, other than incomplete lists on a couple of threads mentioning a room number or location.
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.