Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #2491
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Just ran into the rudest cashier at Walmart. I bought pineapple and caramel sauce amongst other things. As she was checking me out she kind of looked at me when she picked up the two things. I said "We just got back from Disney World" and was going to tell her it was something we enjoyed there. I didn't get the chance. She looked at me and said " It must be REALLY nice to be rich." I was floored. I said " We are not rich by any means'" to which she answered " If you can go to Disney World you are rich." We save for our trips and yes we do go deluxe but we save for that. My dh is the only one working as I am disabled. Yes we could go much less expensive if we went to a value but we would be uncomfortable and that is not what a vacation should be. We give up a lot of things to save to go. I am sorry if Walmart doesn't pay her a decent wage but there are other places to work and she shouldn't run others down. It makes me very leery to mention to anyone we have gone to Disney now.
Honey you should report her to the manager, you can call ask for a manager and give her the cashiers name off the receipt. She shouldnt get away with that thats completely uncalled for!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #2492
Jrabbit910
Keep Calm and get your Sparkle on!!

Karriealex, you should have said "Yep rich and shopping in Walmart"!!! There will always be rude people out there because they dont know any better.... Please dont ever be leary to mention disney or any trip for that matter to anyone! Be proud and never justify what you do or where you go to anyone! im curious to know, what were you making w/ pineapple and caramel sauce?!!?!? LOL sounds yummy!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #2493
shellypaige
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Just ran into the rudest cashier at Walmart. I bought pineapple and caramel sauce amongst other things. As she was checking me out she kind of looked at me when she picked up the two things. I said "We just got back from Disney World" and was going to tell her it was something we enjoyed there. I didn't get the chance. She looked at me and said " It must be REALLY nice to be rich." I was floored. I said " We are not rich by any means'" to which she answered " If you can go to Disney World you are rich." We save for our trips and yes we do go deluxe but we save for that. My dh is the only one working as I am disabled. Yes we could go much less expensive if we went to a value but we would be uncomfortable and that is not what a vacation should be. We give up a lot of things to save to go. I am sorry if Walmart doesn't pay her a decent wage but there are other places to work and she shouldn't run others down. It makes me very leery to mention to anyone we have gone to Disney now.
A trip to Disney is a luxury for most. Can you have a little compassion for her? She's a Walmart cashier. You never know what's going on for someone else. She may be struggling just to feed her kids or pay her rent. $500 a night at the poly may be her grocery money for the month. Just brush it off.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #2494
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellypaige View Post

A trip to Disney is a luxury for most. Can you have a little compassion for her? She's a Walmart cashier. You never know what's going on for someone else. She may be struggling just to feed her kids or pay her rent. $500 a night at the poly may be her grocery money for the month. Just brush it off.
You have got to be joking! It has nothing to do with how much she makes.. The fact is she was unprofessional and should in the very least be written up. I always have compassion for my fellow man but that doesn't mean they have the right to be rude, no matter their or my financial circumstances!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #2495
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrabbit910 View Post
Karriealex, you should have said "Yep rich and shopping in Walmart"!!! There will always be rude people out there because they dont know any better.... Please dont ever be leary to mention disney or any trip for that matter to anyone! Be proud and never justify what you do or where you go to anyone! im curious to know, what were you making w/ pineapple and caramel sauce?!!?!? LOL sounds yummy!
That occurred to me after I left that if I were rich I sure as heck would not be shopping at Walmart. We had pineapple that we dipped in caramel sauce at the lounge. It was so good. They also used to serve it as dessert at Ohana. I never thought of getting it at home until today when we were at the store. Just nice to bring a little bit of the Poly home.

Thank you all for understanding. At first I thought maybe I was being too touchy but that comment really hurt. We are not rich people and we go without a lot of stuff to be able to make these vacations possible. We make sure we have the necessities but the kids and my dh and I go without a lot of stuff we would like to have just to save. These vacations are necessary also. My dh works at a job that is very physically demanding. He is not a young man but is doing a young man's job. He needs to be able to get away, relax, not think about anything. The Poly and Disney does this for him. No matter what I will make going away to the Poly possible for him. He works hard, he doesn't ask for much, and he deserves it.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #2496
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

Quote:

She was still very rude. "You never know what's going on for someone else." That lady had no right to call out the OP when she doesn't know any other information.

Katie
Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #2497
TBLaube
I do not need a Disney intervention, really, I don't.

I was lucky when I bought a few resort mugs on my last trip. One of the employees recommended that I only hand wash because they didn't do well in the dishwasher. I am glad she did or I would have thrown them in there, although I only use my dishwasher once every month if that. It is used as a drying rack more than anythfing.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #2498
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninafeliz View Post
Hello all,

I haven't been following the Poly thread since our stay last October - I tend to get active on the boards when we have a trip coming up and then fall off after the trip. Both for time, and because it's kind of depressing to be reading all about everyone's upcoming trips when ours just ended! Now we have another stay booked for October and I'm getting all excited again. I'm working my way through reading this entire thread, but I'm only on page 80 or so and I have a couple of questions that I haven't seen answers to, and realized I can't remember ever reading them. But I can't promise, I'm sorry if it's all repeats!

Anyway, we're booked in a lagoon view club level room. We actually wanted GV CL, but could only get LV and that was after checking on the website multiple times a day. I was all depressed (ok, not really depressed, because in the grand scheme of life this is nothing, but I was dissappointed) that we couldn't get CL with the fall discount. I was so excited when it randomly popped up a few nights ago as available. Despite the extra $$, I am getting excited about the LV. I hope it doesn't spoil us into always wanting LV, like our first CL stay spoiled us into always wanting CL!

My question is, can you hear the Wishes and Hallowishes music in the rooms in any way, like through the TV on a designated channel? My husband is excited to be able to see the fireworks from our balcony (hopefully) instead of the lounge. But I think the music is what makes the fireworks, particularly during MNSSHP, and I think if we can't hear the music I would still rather be in the lounge. If you can't hear the music in any way, does anyone feel the fireworks are still just as good from your room? I can't imagine they would be.

I guess that was a super long winded way to ask a question, sorry!
From inside your room - no, however, you can hear the music from your balcony as they pipe the music through speakers on the beach.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #2499
karriealex

Quote:
I do have compassion and in fact tried to tell her different ways she might be able to afford to go away. Is it my fault though that she works at Walmart and for what her financial situation is? No it's not and therefore I should not have had a rude comment shot at me because I was able to do something she cannot. I skrimped and saved for this vacation. It was not given to me. She should have not said anything at all if she had a problem with me going away and her not. I know people who can do a lot of things I can't and can afford different things I can't but I do not make rude comments just because I can't.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #2500
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
From inside your room - no, however, you can hear the music from your balcony as they pipe the music through speakers on the beach.
I think there is a channel on the room TV that plays the soundtrack for the fireworks shows. However, I might be confusing WDW and DL.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #2501
karriealex

If you are LV CL you should be able to hear the music etc.. from the speakers on the walkway in front of your room. I know I went out to the side of the Hawaii building when I heard the fireworks one night and I was able to hear everything even standing there. Most of the other nights we were on the beach but away from the speakers so we couldn't hear it. We found it just as enjoyable.

We have done both LV and GV CL and we like both. Sure we would love to do LV every time but financially it isn't in the cards. GV was still very good. We were able to use the lounge, the CM's were just as helpful and nice, and the rooms are exactly alike. We just had to either go to the lounge or outside to watch the fireworks and EWP. Actually in December we will be staying in a standard room not CL and I think we will have just as good a time. Granted we will not have the benefit of the lounge but we can work around that by bringing stuff from home like waters, soda etc... and keeping it in our fridge. For me just being at the Poly is all I need.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #2502
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
I think there is a channel on the room TV that plays the soundtrack for the fireworks shows. However, I might be confusing WDW and DL.
I know there is a channel at CR but I never came across one at the Poly. They might though.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #2503
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLaube View Post
I was lucky when I bought a few resort mugs on my last trip. One of the employees recommended that I only hand wash because they didn't do well in the dishwasher. I am glad she did or I would have thrown them in there, although I only use my dishwasher once every month if that. It is used as a drying rack more than anythfing.
I am glad they warned you. Hmmm never thought of using the dishwasher as a drying rack. Good idea! I will have to try that.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #2504
karriealex

Apparently the woman killed in the ME vs car crash at Epcot the other day originally lived in Miami and worked at one of the hotels. So sad. For some reason the woman in the car just stopped and the bus driver couldn't stop in time.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #2505
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
We've never come across such a channel, although we've never really looked

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: