Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #1516
leannak
Mouseketeer

Question

I have a split stay question, too. We're moving FROM Poly TO AKL, Savanna View. (Even with the savanna view, I'm a little worried we'll be let-down after Poly! ) Anyway... we have a pre-rope-drop reservation at Akershus and have plans to be busy in Epcot all day, not getting out of the park until after Illuminations. I have heard that the later you check in to your resort, the lower your chances are at getting a good room. DH is a morning person. Do you think it's worth it for him to maybe take a taxi over to AKL very early - like at 6am - to get us checked in and then come back to get us all checked out of Poly before heading to Epcot?? Can we even check into AKL before checking out of Poly? I know one (or a couple) of us could leave Epcot mid-day to go check-in but I don't know how long it would take and we don't really want to miss out on much of our one Epcot day.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #1517
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say that if I were you Id switch the split stay from AKL to Poly.. We did a split stay at AKL/Poly and AKL was wonderful we spent the majority of the time wishing we were still at Poly... LOL I think it would have made such a difference had we done it the other way around..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #1518
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Wow. I wasn't happy about going to Universal for two days but DH just did something awesome. He told me to book both nights at Universal at club level at the Portofino Bay. We couldn't get the Royal Pacific at club level but I will keep checking. I still would rather just be at Disney but at least this change does make me feel better.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #1519
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We're here! We're here! Got out request - Tokelau 1st floor. Room was ready at 1:30 when we checked in. And we have a working fridge! Yay!!!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 07-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #1520
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We're here! We're here! Got out request - Tokelau 1st floor. Room was ready at 1:30 when we checked in. And we have a working fridge! Yay!!!
Wooooooo Hooooooo. Have an awesome time!!! Glad you got what you wanted!!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #1521
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannak View Post
I have a split stay question, too. We're moving FROM Poly TO AKL, Savanna View. (Even with the savanna view, I'm a little worried we'll be let-down after Poly! ) Anyway... we have a pre-rope-drop reservation at Akershus and have plans to be busy in Epcot all day, not getting out of the park until after Illuminations. I have heard that the later you check in to your resort, the lower your chances are at getting a good room. DH is a morning person. Do you think it's worth it for him to maybe take a taxi over to AKL very early - like at 6am - to get us checked in and then come back to get us all checked out of Poly before heading to Epcot?? Can we even check into AKL before checking out of Poly? I know one (or a couple) of us could leave Epcot mid-day to go check-in but I don't know how long it would take and we don't really want to miss out on much of our one Epcot day.
First of all, this is exactly the split we did! We did 3 days Poly CL and then 5 at AKL CL. I think I was the only one out of my family who truly missed Poly--and it wasn't because there was anything bad about AKL; I just loved Poly that much, KWIM? My kids loved the resort, LOVED the pools, and everyone was enamored of the savanna view. The rooms are somewhat smaller at AKL, so if you are aware of that, I think you'll be fine. And of course it's bus service only everywhere. We are kind of annoyed with Disney bus service after this trip (a tale for another time) but it's true that even though there are no alternate transport methods to the parks, the bus rides are pretty short. I don't think it was more than 15 min to MK, which I believe is the farthest park. It's very nice that you don't have to stop at other resorts to pick up guests (aside from kidani, which drops off before jambo).

Now I don't know for sure about checking out of Poly, but I am thinking it wouldn't be a problem. When you check out of a resort, you don't actually do anything. You don't pay anything, turn in keys, etc. You just pack up your luggage and leave. I don't think it matters when you check in to your new resort. The only thing that will change is where your room charges will go to (before you check into AKL, they will still go to your Poly room). You can still use all the Poly's amenities that day, too.

Hope that helps (and makes sense!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
When you have bell services do it how long does it normally take for bags and did you have to set it up in advance? I'll put everything I need in my carry on and bring that with me personally. I just don't want to come back from Animal Kingdom and end up with out my luggage because it is still at Pop.
You need to assume that you won't have your luggage until at least 3 pm. We usually get to the new resort between 4 and 5, get checked in, go up to our room and when we call the bags are waiting for us. The *only* hassle is packing up mid-vacation, and it's really not that bad.

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #1522
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Wow. I wasn't happy about going to Universal for two days but DH just did something awesome. He told me to book both nights at Universal at club level at the Portofino Bay. We couldn't get the Royal Pacific at club level but I will keep checking. I still would rather just be at Disney but at least this change does make me feel better.
Aw. I'm so glad to hear that this makes you feel a little better. I hope it turns out even better than you're expecting.

Quote:
Yay! Have a BLAST!!!!

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #1523
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Awesome!!!! Have a great time!!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #1524
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We really enjoyed the Express Pass privileges and early entry that come with staying at Universal. Also, we like having the room nearby so we can do the water rides at Islands of Adventure and return to our room for a break and change of clothes.

We will be doing Disney-only at the Poly in September.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #1525
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-Day View Post
We really enjoyed the Express Pass privileges and early entry that come with staying at Universal. Also, we like having the room nearby so we can do the water rides at Islands of Adventure and return to our room for a break and change of clothes.

We will be doing Disney-only at the Poly in September.
How close are the resorts to Universal? Are you able to walk back to them or do you have to take a bus? We are staying at Portofino Bay.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #1526
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage0306 View Post
You need to assume that you won't have your luggage until at least 3 pm. We usually get to the new resort between 4 and 5, get checked in, go up to our room and when we call the bags are waiting for us. The *only* hassle is packing up mid-vacation, and it's really not that bad.
Ok I'll pack a small bag with all our park needs and a change of clothes just in case (I always do this just in case luggage gets lost airplane, train, etc anytime my luggage isn't with me) and then ill let bell services deal with the rest.

I am going straight to Poly to meet the rest of my group so I'll check in and if the room isn't available just leave my bag with bell services or front desk there. We will be out all day so does anyone know how late the bell services guys are available? We won't make it back to poly until 11:30pm at the earliest.

Also if I want to be at Poly at 10:30 am is an hour enough time? How far in advance should I call bell services?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #1527
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unless things have changed, I believe the earliest you can check in is 7 am. And as a pp said, there really isn't anything to do when checking out.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #1528
4Joyces
Type A and proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11 View Post
I saw that too. I think Tikiman said on his website that the pool will no longer be closed in Sept, they are just going to wait until Jan to close it for major refurbishment.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Whew! Thank goodness! We're added a 1 night room-only at the Poly for the end of our Sept trip and I almost cried when I saw that the pool would be closed!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #1529
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Joyces View Post
Whew! Thank goodness! We're added a 1 night room-only at the Poly for the end of our Sept trip and I almost cried when I saw that the pool would be closed!
The pool rehab has been cancelled indefinitely. IPO called the marina who oversee's that and that is what they told her.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #1530
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalyps3 View Post
For those of you who are referencing requesting specific buildings at the Poly, does Disney do that? Can you arrange that ahead of time? I thought I read that you can request something when you arrive, but its up to them based on their availability and the staffer you're talking to at the time.
As the pp's have said, you can make a request when you book. It's just a request and is not guaranteed, but as the others have said, Disney will do everything they can to accommodate you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
When you have bell services do it how long does it normally take for bags and did you have to set it up in advance? I'll put everything I need in my carry on and bring that with me personally. I just don't want to come back from Animal Kingdom and end up with out my luggage because it is still at Pop.
Any time we have had luggage transferred, we have been given a time between 1-3 pm that it would arrive at the 2nd resort. Sometimes it can get there earlier or later as it depends on how busy the resorts are at the time.

Quote:
We have checked in at all times of the day from early morning to very late at night and we have always gotten great rooms. For our Poly stay (which was a 1 a.m. check in), I made 3 requests and the first 2 requests were met, with the 3rd being met if we wanted to change rooms the next day. So, in our experience, we have gotten great rooms even with a late arrival/check in .

Quote:
Yay for CL . I'm sorry CL isn't available at RP, but glad you were able to get it at Portofino Bay .

Quote:
Have a great time .

Quote:
How close are the resorts to Universal? Are you able to walk back to them or do you have to take a bus? We are staying at Portofino Bay.
I'm not the one you quoted and we haven't actually stayed at a Universal resort, but have visited City Walk a few times and we have taken a boat to visit the resorts . I can't remember if the resorts are within walking distance, but the boats were convenient and didn't take long getting from City Walk to the resort(s).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: